Personality Cafe banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So today my mom and I go visit my grandma at her nursing room and we pull up to the front and there are about 20 open parking spots that say "resident only." We're only planning on staying for about an hour, and I'm like "mom, seriously just park there...we're not gonna be here long and there's no way 20 residents are gonna come back and not have a spot." My mom (an ISTJ) insists that we must park in a visitor spot...which is way in the back of the parking lot, really far away from the entrance. It definitely pissed me off. Anyway, I was wondering if what I did / was thinking demonstrates any particular function?

·
Registered
294 Posts
Umm, maybe Ti? This sounds like something my INTP husband would say. Basically implying that the rule shouldn't apply to people who understand the reason for the rule, if there is an applicable exception (in this instance, the "rule" was no parking in the reserved parking spaces, but the "exception" was that there were still plenty to go around and you wouldn't need the parking spot for very long).

·
Registered
1,486 Posts
It could also be Ne seeing the bigger picture that it didn't matter if you parked there or Te trying to get the job done or maybe Ti seeing that it was illogical to park far away when there's better spots up close.

Ok, I think you were using some T function and some N function. But I don't know if they were extraverted or introverted.

Or maybe you were using some Se to see there were 20 spots and you only had one car and your Ni joined the dots and had come across this equation before^-^. Maybe you used some Si and remembered a previous time this happened. Maybe you got annoyed with your Fi because your Te ideas weren't listened to and you were just trying to be helpful with your Fi. I don't know:happy:

I don't see any sign of Fe though:happy: (oh ok unless the reason you went to see your grandma was because of Fe.)

·
The Doer King
13,680 Posts
That function is without a doubt Te.

Reactions: Functianalyst

·
MOTM June 2010
2,507 Posts
That function is without a doubt Te.
Agreed, except it depends on your mom's reasoning. Did she believe it would violate law or policy in parking in the vacant spots (Te) or was she saying that it was unethical, or the spots may be used for employees or others (possibly Fe)?

·
The Doer King
13,680 Posts
Agreed, except it depends on your mom's reasoning. Did she believe it would violate law or policy in parking in the vacant spots (Te) or was she saying that it was unethical, or the spots may be used for employees or others (possibly Fe)?
Yeah I guess I should have specified that I meant an extroverted judging function. The op mentioned she was an ISTJ though.

·
Registered
210 Posts
I'm with Vocalist on this one.. I'm a ti user too, and the way she described the thinking " Basically implying that the rule shouldn't apply to people who understand the reason for the rule, if there is an applicable exception (in this instance, the "rule" was no parking in the reserved parking spaces, but the "exception" was that there were still plenty to go around and you wouldn't need the parking spot for very long" sounds like how my head would work in this situation.

still as you say, many many functons could came to the same conclusion. A Te user for example.

·
Registered
2,266 Posts
Could it be the Si, in the ISTJ countering the mother's own Te perspective a bit? Si usually adheres to one relevant point and context, giving them a far more "by the book" vibe, to the outside observer. NTJ's and STP's seem to be far more willing to disregard rules and regulations, if they don't seem logical and/or stand in the way of efficiently and proficiently handling a situation. Accounting for the worst (a resident will have to walk a little farther, and/or if someone sees you walking out, they might shoot you a dirty look or make a snide remark about you stealing the spot), and unlikelihood, in the first place, that the residents will all return, within that hour, it seems illogical to go out of your way to park in a visitor's spot. Someone not realizing that, would piss me off, as well.

·
The Doer King
13,680 Posts
There really isn't much of a debate on this. That is what judging functions do. People have different values but the same "logic" remains. If they are a TJ they use Te and an FJ they use Fe.

·
Registered
294 Posts
I think the "debate" only happened because half of the respondents were trying to type fadar's function(s) and the other half were trying to type his ISTJ mom's function(s).

Reactions: Functianalyst

·
MOTM June 2010
2,507 Posts
I think the "debate" only happened because half of the respondents were trying to type fadar's function(s) and the other half were trying to type his ISTJ mom's function(s).
Thank you for pointing that out Vocalist. I stand corrected, the OP does refer to what function he was using, not his mom. In that case he was making a decision with Ti. Did he change his original post, or did I just completely miss the additional information?

·
Subterranean Homesick Alien
11,928 Posts
I would want to do the same thing as the OP and it would be for that same reasoning as people are associating with Ti. I'm wondering, though: Could someone with tertiary Ti possibly make that decision with that same reasoning?

·
MOTM June 2010
2,507 Posts
I would want to do the same thing as the OP and it would be for that same reasoning as people are associating with Ti. I'm wondering, though: Could someone with tertiary Ti possibly make that decision with that same reasoning?
Possibly, but since the "decision" will be based on a judging function, it's more plausible that someone with Ti on their tertiary will revert to using their Fe before Ti.

Reactions: Vaka

·
Registered
294 Posts
Possibly, but since the "decision" will be based on a judging function, it's more plausible that someone with Ti on their tertiary will revert to using their Fe before Ti.
This is what would happen in my case (auxilliary Fe and tertiary Ti). While Ti would allow me to understand the POV that wants to go ahead and park in the reserved parking, I think in the end Fe would win out and I would end up parking farther away just to avoid any potential conflict with the residents. And if for some reason I did give in to the idea of parking in a reserved spot, I would feel nervous about it the entire time I was inside.

Reactions: Vaka

·
Banned
3,849 Posts
I am thinking Ti, introverted logic - you're thinking it makes no logical sense to do X. That it makes sense to the outside world doesn't matter to you. But it does matter to your mother because she is using Te so she will always try to coordinate to what makes logical sense from outside perspective.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts