Personality Cafe banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
434 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Okay so I am INTP...Ti, Ne, Si, Fe. Does that mean when I chose to extrovert myself on the world I will 9 times out of 10 use Ne and Fe - my extroverted preferences? Just curious.

·
Registered
434 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
And if so, why am I awkward? ENTP's leading Ne are really socially comfortable. And ENFJ's Fe are obviously great with people. But when I extrovert it's pretty weird sometimes. Maybe my Ti gets in the way. I can't be spontaneous I have to stop an analyze constantly.

·
Registered
737 Posts
I'd say you have a preference towards Ne and then Fe, but isn't a guarantee that you will, first, even 'extravert' as much as you describe, and, second, won't ever use Te and Se as well.

·
Registered
434 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
I didn't mean to suggest I would extrovert often. Just when I do it's going to be my two preferences right? And then my Ti probably screws everything up and I can't be fluid like ENFJ's and ENTP's.

·
Registered
737 Posts
I didn't mean to suggest I would extrovert often. Just when I do it's going to be my two preferences right? And then my Ti probably screws everything up and I can't be fluid like ENFJ's and ENTP's.
Yes, you'd be correct, but as an INTP it'd be Ne first and then Fe. It'd be best not to neglect either one, as both are important.

And don't self-defeat yourself like that either!

·
Registered
434 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
I do pretty good for the most part but I do get worn out...mostly boredom...too much spontaneity doesn't allow for analysis...the most fulfilling satisfaction I know haha.

·
Registered
1,682 Posts
It's your focus. The external takes a backseat whether you want it to or not. ALSO, it's a thinking function.. relationships and sociability is an F-based paradigm. A lot of the rules you will immediately see as "stupid". When you extrovert..yourself. You extrovert the INTP.. the Ne often comes out in wit and ideas, but when it comes to auxiliaries and tertiaries your mileage will vary.

·
Banned
3,849 Posts
And if so, why am I awkward? ENTP's leading Ne are really socially comfortable. And ENFJ's Fe are obviously great with people. But when I extrovert it's pretty weird sometimes.
That's because functions are not skill sets, they are mind attitudes. So having Fe dominant will not automatically give you social skills. ENTPs are not more "socially comfortable" - they are just driven to interact with outside environment more than INTPs. I've met some ENTPs with rather bad social skills (irrational anger outbreaks, propensity for emo-drama, irresponsibility, lack of punctuality, etc.) and they were anything but comfortable about it, as were those around them.

If you feel that you're awkward extraverting it is because you have not been taking note of other people's preferences and have not been paying attention to what is important to others. This may be due to higher than normal introversion. If you take note of other people's likes and dislikes then you can pick conversation subjects that will be enjoyable to others and avoid subjects that weird them out. Also avoid temptation to 'troll' others i.e. say something shocking to gather a response as I know Ti-Ne sometimes has a lot of fun doing this but it can estrange others.

·
Registered
393 Posts
This can actually be a very complex question, and I'm not sure that all psychologists agree on the answer. The short version is that you use every function (introverted or extraverted) from time to time.

This is somewhat misleading though. When an INTP uses say Se, it won't be the same as when an ESP uses Se. So the next question is how they show up. Generally speaking, your primary function is the "hub" around which all other functions rotate. So consciously, your extraverted functions usually only show up when the primary function allows and for the purpose the primary function allows. I think that type development is less about "developing" functions as it is about getting the primary function to quit being so "monarchic" (as Jung might put it).

Think about it this way: let's say that your brain is a company with the primary function as the CEO. Of course, the CEO can't handle every situation by himself, so he hires employees (which are the other functions) to take care of things for him. In an undeveloped person, the CEO is a micromanager. It does everything it can to stop the other functions from doing anything it doesn't allow. So an INTP's extraverted functions will come out, but they'll be less alternate ways of looking at things and more the primary function's hired goons. Usually, your tertiary function is most willing to be the hired goon. It's the CEO's "yes man", and it oftentimes is tasked with making sure the secondary and inferior functions are following the CEO's orders. So the INTP might find themselves going back to old habits when they don't know what else to do because of tertiary Si.

At some point in time, the CEO gets stuck. It gets confronted with a situation it can't solve without trusting its employees. Thus, the CEO will eventually learn to let go a bit and trust its employees more and more.

Let's take the INTP as an example. When an ENP uses Ne, they do so to work with other people. INTPs are different. They'll typically use Ne as a way of protecting themselves from outside influence. If you watch House, consider the antics he goes through to get out of doing clinic duty: this is what Ne looks like when it's secondary to Ti. (And yes, I know that there's been plenty of debates about whether House is an ENTP, INTP, or INTJ. For the sake of argument, let's assume that House is an INTP. I don't think that necessarily detracts from my point.) At some point in time, the INTP will begin using Ne in other ways though. The INTP will start bouncing ideas off of other people instead of developing them internally.

To go back to the company analogy, some of the employees don't listen to the CEO. They have a nasty habit of doing their own thing when the CEO isn't paying attention. Your inferior function does this most often. The CEO knows this but can't fire them (remember, this is an analogy not real life :happy: ), so it simply convinces itself that they don't exist and becomes surprised every time they do something. This sounds completely illogical because it is. About the only thing that the CEO can really do is admit to itself that the employees exist, are problem employees, and that it will just have to deal with that.

So in the case of the INTP, you might notice Fe come out when you are frustrated or under stress. You might notice that you suddenly feel that nobody gives you the respect you deserve. At this point in time, the CEO thinks it's still in control but it isn't. Seeing through that illusion takes a great deal of effort.

So, like I said: you use every function from time to time and it's complicated.

·
Registered
434 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Okay so even though I am an introvert, do I use extraverted intuition more than introverted sensing since it is my secondary function?

·
Registered
393 Posts
Okay so even though I am an introvert, do I use extraverted intuition more than introverted sensing since it is my secondary function?
Don't take this the wrong way, but why are you asking me? I've never even met you. :happy:

It really depends on how you've developed and what circumstances you're under. I'd recommend taking a page from Jung: do some reflection and introspection. Do you find yourself analyzing people logically (Ti)? Do you find yourself taking in external stimuli and "filling in the blanks" (Ne)? Do you find yourself stuck in habits (Si)? Do you find yourself wishing people would treat you with appropriate respect (Fe)? You might want to do some research on the different functions. Here's what Jung wrote about them: Jung - Psychological Types

This kind of analysis is difficult, but simply being aware of when you're using other functions can prove to be a huge development.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts