Votes: 2 33.3%
  • Weak Ni

Votes: 0 0.0%
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
1,691 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Having been reading about functions for days I've seen most, if not all, of these things described as demonstrating one (or more) functions, but I've not written down what's what, let alone whether it shows developed or not :blushed:

I've added a poll with 16 options, if you see anything that fits in the examples below choose them - simple :happy: Of course if you want to comment on which is which that would be helpful too...

Perception flipping - I was at work getting depressed about a menial task then noticed it was actually something I wanted to do (for personal development) and was instantly happier both inside and out.

Self disclosure as a communication style - it's the only way I know. If I talk lots it's because I'm interested and want you to talk. To ask probing questions would be rude (and I'd call pretty much any question about what or why you did probing)

Not replying to invites when the answer is no - I do this so as not to hurt people. I'm aware it doesn't work, but to tell them I'm an introvert and the idea of spending time in a huge group just isn't a good one today would require lots of explanation.

Personal ethics - I don't like "having" to do something, such as attending birthdays of distant relatives. If they can't be bothered to visit me (or I them) throughout the year why now? I know whats right and you're not going to convince me otherwise.

Physical denial - I'd quite like to not have to maintain a body. My hair hasn't been cut in nearly 6 months as I don't know what to do with it. It annoys me, but it's staying till I know what I want. I have been known to wear a blue t-shirt with blue jeans too...

Physical awareness - I walk fast through crowded streets and can always see gaps between moving people, I'm never in the way. I rarely even have to break stride but can stop at a moments notice if needed, never bumping anyone in front or being bumped from behind. While walking through a park I will hear a squirrel move way up in a tree and instantly be able to see it.

Symbolism of small things - I have been pondering the meaning of a single squirrel sneaking up on me during a lunch break for over a week.

Endless possibilities - Said squirrel has given me no less than four possibilities for ways to improve my life. Four things from a three second event is lots, think how bad it gets for something more complicated!

Thinking about everything - I can, and do regularly, take one action and create an elaborate backstory along with explanations for the recent event relevant to the person doing it. It can be an event I have no previous experience of but I will still be able to "see" why they did it, by putting myself in their shoes. Similarly I can imagine how someone could interpret my words or actions, and try to modify them so the target gets the right meaning.

Words are cheap - When trying to prove how much someone means to me I feel I must spend money or do something to demonstrate it. Words can be very beautiful but a single action can undermine a thousand words so the words alone are not enough.

Sensitivity to the mood of a room - If my parents argue I feel sick. When a colleague left the attitude of the office lost it's sparkle. It's hard to explain but it's there...

Helping people - I help people even when they don't ask for it. Usually this is by offering practical advice or lending/giving them something they need. I have never been used as an emotional blanket so think that it wouldn't be so bad. Other's say it is bad but I've not tried it so I don't believe them.

This was deliberately written without any emotion to avoid adding bias and the order represents the order these things came into my head. Read the words and just the words and you'll be fine :happy:

Oh and thanks alot to anyone who got this far!

·
Registered
1,486 Posts
My guess is ISFJ. But I am only 1% sure.
8/12 statements contained some mention of feelings. It seemed more about the correct way one should act towards people so I guessed Fe before Ti.
The imagination seems to be of the Ne sort - creating something out of nothing - imagining that a squirrel has links to good advice.

·
Banned
3,849 Posts
A lot of it resonates with me so I will call an INFJ.

Symbolism and endless possibilities, thinking a lot about things that happened - Ni
Feeling sick from group disharmony, people criticizing each other - Fe
Wanting to connect with people but feeling asking some questions is too personal and may discomfort them - Fe
Wishing like you would not have a body to maintain - inferior sensory function, INxJs and ENxPs have inferior Si/Se
Words are cheap - yep, I always try to judge people by their actions not their words
Wanting to help people - this simply feeling is your dominant or auxiliary function
Why I say you have Ni mostly working and not Ne is that because you seem to be thinking a lot to explain things that have happened that you observed. Ne works differently - it makes you think about what could happen, future possibilities and potentials instead of all possible explanations of what has occurred already.

·
Registered
309 Posts
Well I'm still not that familiar with the functions, so someone may have to correct me here ...

Perception flipping - I was at work getting depressed about a menial task then noticed it was actually something I wanted to do (for personal development) and was instantly happier both inside and out.
Fi?
Self disclosure as a communication style - it's the only way I know. If I talk lots it's because I'm interested and want you to talk. To ask probing questions would be rude (and I'd call pretty much any question about what or why you did probing)
Umm ... Fe? Dunno.
Not replying to invites when the answer is no - I do this so as not to hurt people. I'm aware it doesn't work, but to tell them I'm an introvert and the idea of spending time in a huge group just isn't a good one today would require lots of explanation.
Not sure ...
Personal ethics - I don't like "having" to do something, such as attending birthdays of distant relatives. If they can't be bothered to visit me (or I them) throughout the year why now? I know whats right and you're not going to convince me otherwise.
Not sure again.
Physical denial - I'd quite like to not have to maintain a body. My hair hasn't been cut in nearly 6 months as I don't know what to do with it. It annoys me, but it's staying till I know what I want. I have been known to wear a blue t-shirt with blue jeans too...
Don't know what this is, but I do it.
Physical awareness - I walk fast through crowded streets and can always see gaps between moving people, I'm never in the way. I rarely even have to break stride but can stop at a moments notice if needed, never bumping anyone in front or being bumped from behind. While walking through a park I will hear a squirrel move way up in a tree and instantly be able to see it.
Se.
Symbolism of small things - I have been pondering the meaning of a single squirrel sneaking up on me during a lunch break for over a week.
Ne!
Endless possibilities - Said squirrel has given me no less than four possibilities for ways to improve my life. Four things from a three second event is lots, think how bad it gets for something more complicated!
Ne!
Thinking about everything - I can, and do regularly, take one action and create an elaborate backstory along with explanations for the recent event relevant to the person doing it. It can be an event I have no previous experience of but I will still be able to "see" why they did it, by putting myself in their shoes. Similarly I can imagine how someone could interpret my words or actions, and try to modify them so the target gets the right meaning.
Ne. But I also do the last thing a lot (running through conversations/situations in my mind to discover the outcome) so that may be Ni. Maybe that's Te. Ack.
Words are cheap - When trying to prove how much someone means to me I feel I must spend money or do something to demonstrate it. Words can be very beautiful but a single action can undermine a thousand words so the words alone are not enough.
Oooohhh, no clue.
Sensitivity to the mood of a room - If my parents argue I feel sick. When a colleague left the attitude of the office lost it's sparkle. It's hard to explain but it's there...
F ... i?
I think a lot of people have a stronger reaction (ie, feeling sick) when people as close to them as their parents argue. Can you *feel* the change in the office yourself or have you noticed a somewhat quantifiable change in others' productivity, behavior, mood, and motivation?
Helping people - I help people even when they don't ask for it. Usually this is by offering practical advice or lending/giving them something they need. I have never been used as an emotional blanket so think that it wouldn't be so bad. Other's say it is bad but I've not tried it so I don't believe them.
I'm not sure what you mean by emotional blanket.

·
Registered
1,691 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Thanks for the thoughts CarenRose, and for not voting (if you're not sure it's best not to :happy:). Just to ask have you ever actually researched your type or do you believe the tests? You said you do things, so if you have researched yourself I must use some of your functions. If you're not 100% sure what you are the ones listed wont be right though...

·
Registered
309 Posts
Yeah, I didn't want to vote until I was sure that I was right. :D

I've tested as both ESTJ and ENTJ before, but those are definitely not me. I thouroughly identify with the INTJ profile.

Now that I have been learning about the functions, I am even more sure of my INTJ-ness. My dad is also an INTP so I have a good example of the same functions with the opposite direction.

For INTJ, the order of functions is Ni, Te, Fi, Se ...

While Ni seems very hard to define, I identify with Ni much more than Ne. From what I've heard, Ne takes input and extrapolates; Ni takes input and creates a concept.

I asked my dad, "what is the purpose for knowledge," and I think his answer vs. mine showed the difference between Ni-Te and Ti-Ne pretty well ... he said that knowledge is to be gained, learning is basically an end of its own, and if it happens to be of use in the real world, that's good, but that is not the primary goal for gaining knowledge. I said that while learning just to learn is great, the goal of knowledge is to be able to apply it to the world (very Te).

Anyways ...

Edit: also, it is possible for me to do things the same as someone else but for different reasons. Simple example: as shift manager at work I'm responsible for positioning people. There are certain drama-causing people that I dislike, and this plays into my positioning them. An F-type manager may position Ms. Drama Queen in window 1 because Ms. DQ creates conflict and disrupts the harmony. Me, a very strong T, will position them in the back window because their drama distracts other crew members from doing their job efficiently or effectively, creates a negative image of our store if customers are able to see the drama, because their constant whining and bickering grates on my nerves to the point where I might explode on a nearby innocent victim, and lastly because I am introverted and even as an INTJ it's hard for me to confront people sometimes. And if you're up front causing drama, my job as manager is to confront you.

·
Registered
1,691 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
CarenRose said:
he said that knowledge is to be gained, learning is basically an end of its own, and if it happens to be of use in the real world, that's good, but that is not the primary goal for gaining knowledge. I said that while learning just to learn is great, the goal of knowledge is to be able to apply it to the world (very Te).
Interesting... I generally learn everything I can because it will be useful in the future, else why would the opportunity to learn it be provided? Guess that's why there are more votes for Te than Ti :blushed:

And if I cannot define "T" I have no chance on "N", which is just too confusing :tongue:

Thanks again for your input :happy:

·
Banned
3,426 Posts
Have you looked at the ISTx forums? You're definitely Introverted, and from what you said you seem to be a Senser and you think about lots of things... Hope that helps :S

1 - 11 of 11 Posts