Personality Cafe banner

1 - 20 of 28 Posts

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Basically what happens when a child of a certain type is brought up by people who dislike their type and discourage them from being the way they are?
For example, what would happen to an NT brought up by NFs who continuously criticise them for not being emotional enough or for being cold hearted, for the way they make decisions etc.; thereby completely maintaining a demand for the child to be like them and labelling the way he/she truly is as "wrong".

·
Registered
763 Posts
I think I kind of had this experience.

My mother is definitely ISFP and my father is probably ISTP or ESTP.

My parents would not seriously respond to my questions and would say that my questions are stupid. Whatever I did, I don't think they ever took me seriously. What seemed to me like ideas was nonsense to them. They would make me do things and not understand or not care that I didn't like. They wanted me to be an extrovert. All the time they would squabble if I were to correct something wrong that they said.

To this day they don't understand at all what I find interesting and what I value.

As a teenager, I lived for two years with my grandparents. My grandfather's personality was quite similar to mine, but he was very conservative. Among other things, he was teaching me not to show too much feelings and to do what older people told me. I was quite honest as a teenager, but my grandparents never trusted me.

When I went to high school, it felt like paradise. I started unlearning what they had taught me (a process which I may not have finished yet).

·
Registered
1,845 Posts
It's hard to accurately type yourself if you don't get to express your real traits.

I wouldn't say my parents did anything wrong. But I'm the only SJ in the family, so they misunderstood my needs. I had an N parent who always had their head in the clouds, and an SP parent who didn't understand the need for complete structure. I became a bit daydreamy for a while based on how I grew up...The N parent had a lot of stress in their life and retreated into their thoughts, so it was hard for them to let me grow. They didn't understand why I actually wanted more work to do and thought I'd be happier with a relaxed life, but I wasn't. I was without school and work for years...made me become pretty depressed as I felt unproductive all the time. Basically, I became super lazy and just sat in my room all the time which is strange for an ISTJ. But that's how I realized I -was- one, because it never really made me happy. Now that I've pushed myself to tackle new responsibilities and situations that they would have found stressful themselves...well, I feel happier and more productive.

·
Plague Doctor
5,927 Posts
My dad was a great parent, but he certainly wasn't perfect. He had ideas about gender roles - mostly were very endearing, like that I shouldn't play with my brother's weight lifting toys (which I totally ignored). But anyway, he encouraged my brother to be a bit more emotionally tough and he - lol - it will sound horrible, but he encouraged me to wear more dresses and skirts and to do more "girl" stuff. I don't think it really had that big of an effect on me or my brother's type.

I'm an INFP and so is my brother. My sister is an ISFP.

But I've wondered this, too. For example, my partner, an INTP, was signed up for all these traditionally really NT things like violin lessons and chess club by his parents. I wonder if that encouraged his type?

I like Bandura's idea of reciprocal determinism where people who are put in certain environments are reinforced by those environments. For example, one might say someone is a heavy reader if they are raised in a house with a lot of books or someone who is raised with a lot of exercise equipment might be more likely to exercise.

Reactions: Sensational

·
Registered
9,922 Posts
I think some good some bad. Subjectively anyways that's how it effected me but I also think it was very constructive in some ways as well.

My moms NTJ
My dad was NFP
Stepdad NTP
Baby Sis closest to my age NFJ

Anyways sports were never a priority. Very pretentious attitude regarding sports. (Which probably would have been a constructive use of my energy). I was encouraged to join things like speech, writing, fine arts programming, band. Especially art stuff because I could draw well. I always could not stand the environment and atmosphere surrounding art classes. I just literally wanted to draw or create not sit and talk about it all or perfect techniques from other centuries. Writing I did ok at I did represent my junior high at a writing conference. (I know crazy to believe with my sloppy ass writing here).

Anyways I would say activities involving more physical stimuli were far more in the background and I would have benefited from more physical exercise and a little less mental. Considering I was around a lotta fine arts mumbo jumbo I think struggled with a slight complex. But it also conditioned me between my home and subjects to expand.

I would say I gained many positive things from growing up in an intuitive home which I find value in. I did sometimes feel mocked tho.

Functions wise because we are in the mbti section I relied more on Ti & Fe and my Se got buried.This was a no no imo. But I use my knowledge of how important it is not to brush off or bury dom function while parenting my own kids. I.e. I have a focus on honoring my children's personal strengths when and where I can.

·
Banned
2,042 Posts
ENTJ raised by ESFJ mom and INFP dad. Every fucking talk with them is like walking on eggshells.

Growing up under them has given me an exceptionally intense Fi. I conjecture that growing up under opposing parents results in an earlier growth of inferior functions.

Reactions: Aelthwyn

·
Registered
3,309 Posts
Id say it is likely to be an unhappy childhood unless the parents are both present, capable and well developed enough.

·
Banned
1,393 Posts
This sort of conflict and devaluing is exactly what I look back on where I grew up; it is likely why I have such a negative outlook on people in general and resent being raised where I was.

·
Registered
2,515 Posts
I'm actually very curious about that answer. I'm an N type (clearly) having been brought up in an S environment (my mother: suspected ISFP, my father: ESTP, sister: ISFJ, other close parts of the family are also S related).
To say that I felt different and an outsider is an understatement. A couple of SP parents and a past/tradition centered Si sister is the worst combination for an N dominant type.

Reactions: Aelthwyn

·
Registered
6 Posts
I'm an INFJ brought up by my 2 ISTJ grandparents and my ISFP mother who hasn't always been around. My dad was absent throughout my childhood. We've only been in contact since January and that's via Social Media rather than meeting up.
I get along pretty well with my mother apart from a few things mostly caused by her auxiliary Se. However, I debate and argue a LOT with my grandparents and it's gotten pretty ugly several times, mostly because of the Te vs. Fe.

·
Registered
365 Posts
I was mostly raised by my mother, who is an SJ extrovert and also happened to be a helicopter parent. Her philosophy seemed to be that frequent activities and scheduling improved one's skills and "resume," so she made me participate in a lot of activities that I didn't enjoy (sports, birthday parties, vacation activities, etc.). It was all very exhausting to me as an intuitive introvert, and while I did try to do my best in all these things, I never considered any of them to have any potential. I believed it impossible that I could become a successful sports player or a popular socialite, so I did them all merely to placate my mother and her values.

I never shared my true passions, dreams, aspirations or feelings with her or anyone else, as it seemed to me that they would be mocked or dismissed as unrealistic weakness. That reticence has persisted throughout my life, and I'm very reluctant to share my true feelings with anyone (even family and romantic partners). I've been making efforts to improve that lately, but still, I'm very cautious and apprehensive to trust others with anything sensitive. I'm not sure whether that would be any different if I were raised differently. I can say that my brother is very much unlike me in that regard, despite being raised in the same fashion.

·
Registered
231 Posts
My personal experience (INTJ):

One of my earliest memories was thinking that I wasn't the same as everyone else. I didn't feel I was different, but I knew I wasn't the same. Every environment to me felt opposing. I learned it had more to do with how I adapted to an environment than how the environment adapted to me. I would prefer to be around or raised by scientists vs fanatics for example, but I would be alright either way. I would still be me.

·
Registered
5,301 Posts
My family are all extroverts and I'm the only introvert.
I think they are:
Dad: ESTJ
Mum: ESFP/ESFJ?
Sister: Probaby ENTJ or a very happy ESTJ
Brother: ESTP

Misunderstood a lot and have a lot of ideas etc shut down, skeptical about my goals.
I can say though, a lot of opinions and beliefs have come from my family (of course) so I guess you can see their point of view, but its frustrating.
The other thing is they all enjoy sport. Wether its playing it or watching it and I hate sport.
They can't understand why I hate sport haha...

They also just don't understand why I spend so much time alone in my room. They don't get that I actually need to be PHYSICALLY AWAY from people to truly have my alone time. If I'm with others in the room reading a book, that doesn't mean I'm "alone"... >_>

Hmmm, I'd say having S/T and J types around influences your way of thinking somewhat, and I guess you could learn how to use logic a bit more, since they mostly prefer logic.

Despite misunderstandings and what not, we're actually a tight-knit family.

However, I rarely share my deepest desires, aspirations with them etc, when I did they got knocked down a lot...

Although, my siblings are a lot more supportive of my decisions. My sister tells me its my life not my parents, haha. But still give me talks about being realistic.

Reactions: Taciterse

·
Registered
1,246 Posts
It's hard to accurately type yourself if you don't get to express your real traits.

I wouldn't say my parents did anything wrong. But I'm the only SJ in the family, so they misunderstood my needs. I had an N parent who always had their head in the clouds, and an SP parent who didn't understand the need for complete structure. I became a bit daydreamy for a while based on how I grew up...The N parent had a lot of stress in their life and retreated into their thoughts, so it was hard for them to let me grow. They didn't understand why I actually wanted more work to do and thought I'd be happier with a relaxed life, but I wasn't. I was without school and work for years...made me become pretty depressed as I felt unproductive all the time. Basically, I became super lazy and just sat in my room all the time which is strange for an ISTJ. But that's how I realized I -was- one, because it never really made me happy. Now that I've pushed myself to tackle new responsibilities and situations that they would have found stressful themselves...well, I feel happier and more productive.
Something very similar happened to me growing up. My e?NTP Mom didn't quite understand my need for a plan and goals. I was an almost neurotic student, it wasn't enough to get a good grade, I had to believe I had truly learned the subject. My Mom called herself an "under-achiever" and hated parents that pushed high grades on their kids. I respect this, but I think she still doesn't understand why I loved, and still love, to learn and study, particularly in an organized way; as she preferred a relaxed learning program.

There were to other Js in my immediate family, (ISFJ and INFJ) but, and this may be an ISTJ thing, I was by far the strongest J, as I needed the most structure. I always asked what the plan was, and over time my family (and this was probably hard for my Mom) was able to provide for my needs. Sure, it's still hard for them to understand, but I was much happier when I had goals. I felt achieved, productive and truly happy when I was allowed to embrace my true nature.

·
Registered
607 Posts
ISTP who grew up with an INFJ mother and ENTP father. They don't value the things I value and say and do hurtful things without realizing it. I prefer to avoid them.

·
Registered
19 Posts
My family are all NT's and my father was a harsh and critical ENTJ, and I was a sensitive INFP kid. I took all of what he said on faith in terms of how to do well and what it means to be successful. I tried my best to toughen up and emulate him. It took me a long time to realize that we had very different outlooks and goals in life and that he was never going to approve of how I went about mine in my own way. It made my childhood very stressful and more of a struggle than it had to be. My mother and sister tried their best to be supportive, and eventually realized that I was different than them and that what they saw as the right path for me might not be what was right. I think that's the best different types can do: understand there are differences and just be there for each other.

·
Registered
313 Posts
I hadn't grown up in this way. My TiNe habits of questioning things and wanting to learn why has been encourgaed. My teachers in school calmly debated concepts with me and thanked me if I proved them wrong. My parents gave me several opportunities to buy me books on intellectual interests way above my normal reading level as a kid.

Though, my ESFJ mom as I grew up keeps nagging me about practical matters such as organization and health which I tended to ignore until I saw fit. She was also getting mad at me for not greeting strangers politely when I wanted to be quiet and the similar on which she gave up nagging me about in my later years. This apparently summoned more of my rebellious side back then and was more of a dick when I was younger. Ironically enough, I started getting more nicer when she stopped being so annoyingly insistent on it, but in less strictly formal ways but really easygoing messing around informal ways that she showed slight distaste for. I did admittedly, go through a time where I was secretly full of self criticism about this thing to the point of depression. Though, not sure if it was my mom, my Catholic background, my own growing guilt that maybe being such a dick to prove someone wrong wasn't a good idea or maybe a combination. I didn't think I changed because of my mom. I changed because of other more mature forces in life that explained kindness in reasons with a more calm or inspiring way rather than commanding me to do so angrily without explaining or explaining well like a certain parent of mine does. My mom would gradually grow less controlling and more accepting as the years go by. Well, glad that's over. Not that some of the blame also goes to myself maybe. She also had a thing for needing a plan in my life when I had a more "Eh, I'll figure it out," attitude, but that's a story for another day. I'm a lot more relaxed these days but when I was younger I had temper problems often surrounded with my mom with one of the triggers including, "Oh God, mom. Too many boring details." Well, we two have a much more peaceful relationship miraculously these days.

ISTP dad was a lot more relaxed though.

Though, I also do remember some people on forums who have ended this way.

Some of them seem to be more likely to get into dominant tertiary loops. It reminds me of this lady who mistyped as an ENFP because she was in a NeFe loop because as a woman, she was encouraged to be more Feish. Or an ISTJ in a SiFi loop because she was encouraged to be more feminine. This INTP guy who was stuck in a TiSi loop because he grew up in the influence of an SJ family. ESFJ males who look more traditionally tough because of the environment around them. This INTP who was more disciplined and orderly because he grew up with NJs as parents, in a more TiSi way then TeSi way.

·
Registered
5,301 Posts
Also my usage of my right and left parts of the brain are both 50%. And I think there's a lot of 'art' that shouldn't be considered art, such as abstract art. Compared to most other people of my type. I can also be a bit more "insensitive" than other F types because of my rational and logical opinions on many things. Mainly about politically correct things, which piss me off to no end.

1 - 20 of 28 Posts