Personality Cafe banner

1 - 20 of 39 Posts

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Inspired by an article made by Mark Manson about the Internet.

I had a random thought if someone from some company, organization, government or whatever wanted to forced everybody to show their face, location, age and sex from every webiste that existed in the Internet even 4chan(maybe not), would that change everyone's inner asshole or not? Will they discuss in a civil manner or do they still argue with cursing and such? The company that will most likely to do this is Google. What are your thoughts about this?

·
Electronica Wizard
ENeffing
6,693 Posts
There will be even lesser people on Facebook and Twitter in the future especially those who work as civil servants for fear they might lose their career or dignity.

·
Registered
1,442 Posts
The thing is that rude users probably tend to show their ignorance offline in one manner or another anyways.

·
Registered
3,421 Posts
scary thought for many

·
Banned
2,975 Posts
People have far less anonymity online than they think. It's not really all that hard to link a person's online persona back to them if they aren't actively trying to hide.

·
Registered
3,376 Posts
I think Facebook is testament to the fact that many people would act much the same - it would just be easier to name, shame, and ruin lives.

Facebook is chock full of people arguing with each other about stupid controversial shit. There may be something of an effort on there to appear more polite than on an internet forum, but the rudeness is still there, lurking under the surface - passive-aggression basically.

That said, if anonymity went away for everyone, I think it would kill a lot of interesting discussions on forums like these. People are able to talk freely in part because there are no obvious social repercussions. We've all seen how saying the wrong thing on the internet under a real name can cause someone to lose a career and get socially castrated. Imagine how many people would get castrated every day voicing the kind of socially unacceptable opinions they do on a place like PerC.

·
Registered
3,530 Posts
Cloak and dagger anyone?

Think about the role play games. Do ppl deviate that much when role play? If it's a hidden side it's still in that person. Making identity known would stop some from posting or being active mainly because of their work would not tolerate mouthing off. But average Joes the color would not change much, if they wanted to show their color. Those who keep a facade always would keep it on showing identy or not.

·
Registered
4,199 Posts
People have far less anonymity online than they think. It's not really all that hard to link a person's online persona back to them if they aren't actively trying to hide.
Well... not on an anonymous message board like 4chan, and even here, it's not something most people could pull off. Even then, you might just end up with a facebook thumbnail, which isn't really your identity. But yeah, it is generally surprising the trail you leave behind on the web.

If people's anonymity were removed, yes, most people would stop behaving like twats (I mean, accountability is pretty clearly what prevents them from doing it IRL, right?), but it won't happen, and naturally it would make many people less willing to participate in discussions like these in the first place, which is unfortunate.

·
Registered
9,085 Posts
It's more for me that I wouldn't want everyone to know all my silly thoughts. It's one thing to build a persona on a space on the internet somewhere, allow the parts of yourself to be shown that you want to be shown, and another thing entirely if everyone knew who you were and those who know know you could know about every part of you.

I do agree with some of what has already been said though. A lot of people who act jerky online are also jerky in real life. It's sad, but true.

·
Banned
2,975 Posts
Well... not on an anonymous message board like 4chan, and even here, it's not something most people could pull off. Even then, you might just end up with a facebook thumbnail, which isn't really your identity. But yeah, it is generally surprising the trail you leave behind on the web.
It depends what people post. It only takes one slip to give away your identity. Pictures are a big issue since they can be reverse image searched or EXIF data used.

·
Registered
4,199 Posts
It depends what people post. It only takes one slip to give away your identity. Pictures are a big issue since they can be reverse image searched or EXIF data used.
Yeah, if you post a picture, you're definitely taking a risk. But my point was more that even though that is technically true, it's pretty unlikely that it will happen since most of us don't know how to do that.

Hmm. Didn't know about some of the EXIF fields. Seems like a decent anonymous board should strip images of any revealing metadata, but I guess they probably aren't hosting it.

·
I love my everything
10,940 Posts
Oh no D:

For me personally, I'd feel less comfortable about posting here, knowing that people can search me up. I wouldnt reveal so many personal thoughts here.
Though right now, if you happened to know me well IRL, it shouldn't be that hard to figure out who I am.

·
Banned
2,975 Posts
Hmm. Didn't know about some of the EXIF fields. Seems like a decent anonymous board should strip images of any revealing metadata, but I guess they probably aren't hosting it.
Actually, it's the other way around. Anonymous boards like 4chan DON'T strip EXIF data, but pretty much all social networks do. I've gotten pics ofd 4chan that had full GPS data showing exactly where they were taken. When it's a "selfie" of someone in their home that means their exact address. This happens a lot to dumb girls posting naked pictures of themselves on places like that.

·
Registered
1,761 Posts
... I can't precisely remember how they tried to do this, but Blizzard Entertainment tried to do something along these lines with World of Warcraft once. Like... at the very least set it up to post people's emails, I think also their real names.

There was a lot of outcry, and they took it down fairly quickly. Again, not a lot of concrete information from me, but I believe there were either worries of, or actual cases (in the short time it was around) of a *lot* of increased harassment of various people - most particularly women.

Imperfect example, but an example nonetheless.

Anonymity is a double edged sword, ultimately.

·
Registered
503 Posts
Eh, there would be a slight difference in communication (for the better), depending on your location... but that's all.

·
Registered
6,146 Posts
The thing is that rude users probably tend to show their ignorance offline in one manner or another anyways.
I resent that.

On topic though, there would be a lot less people willing to speak out against anything, whether it's negative or not depends on the people.

Essentially, the society would be more realistic. Sooo, circles and shit.
Probably social classes on the internet too.
Can't say I'm not curious, but it's apparently a big nono for people, soooooo.

... I can't precisely remember how they tried to do this, but Blizzard Entertainment tried to do something along these lines with World of Warcraft once. Like... at the very least set it up to post people's emails, I think also their real names.

There was a lot of outcry, and they took it down fairly quickly. Again, not a lot of concrete information from me, but I believe there were either worries of, or actual cases (in the short time it was around) of a *lot* of increased harassment of various people - most particularly women.

Imperfect example, but an example nonetheless.

Anonymity is a double edged sword, ultimately.
Actually a census a while back stated that men and women use the internet equally, and considering harassing an equal... "race" is pretty retarded, it'd probably DECREASE harassment, in terms of gender, theoretically it'd decrease every harassment, considering GIFT Theory and shit.
<http://www.pewinternet.org/data-trend/internet-use/latest-stats/>

People discriminate because they're raised to discriminate and then think he/she can get away with it. Removing anonymity makes sure they can't get away with it.

·
Registered
2,763 Posts
Quora is a good example of this where most people post with their real names whilst having the possibility to go anon. The economy is essentially reputation points given to your name which you can use to illicit questions and answers from others. Anon mode is generally used for more personal responses that for either confidential or may be anti-rep in the career related sense.

1 - 20 of 39 Posts