Personality Cafe banner

1 - 20 of 56 Posts

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
If you, as an INTP, were in a committed relationship with someone - what would the one thing be that could hurt you the most?

eg. Being told they pretended to love you, Cheating on you, Breaking up with you out of the blue, etc.?

For me it would be being told that I'm not what they thought I was. Or that they were in love with someone else.

·
Registered
ISTP 9w8
702 Posts
Not accepting me after they get to know me.

Breaking up without explanation.

The first one would really hurt deeply. The second one would just be incredibly frustrating, like a bad itch bordering on pain.
Rejection would be the worst for me, too.

Not rejection as in, "You're not the one for me," but "I don't accept who you are." -> "I find you abhorrent", "I love you but you have to promise to change," "You're a freak", "You're a monster", "You must have some mental disorder", "I can't understand how any sane/decent person can be like you".

·
Registered
1,236 Posts
I am not sure, but I can imagine a scenario where she doesn't want to stay in a relationship but is too weak to initiate a break up.. I don't really get hurt emotionally but it seems like I subconsciously acquire the other person's feelings (empathy?). Thus, I'd have to initiate the break up to let her free.

·
Registered
1,785 Posts
It's not easy for me to completely trust someone. If I get to that point where I can truly confide in them, and then they betray me and show me "evil" sides to their personality I didn't know existed (which has happened), that would probably make me feel like a fool.

·
黐線 ~Chiseen~
5,240 Posts
i'm fine with rejection... i'm not fine with abandonment without prior explanation or reason.

i've been tossed into overthinking hell more than once. at least with rejection, theres an answer.

abandonment, i'm left wondering if friendship is on the table, if at all n/ever

·
Registered
1,738 Posts
Why would I tell you my weakness? Forget about it.

·
Registered
8 Posts
If you, as an INTP, were in a committed relationship with someone - what would the one thing be that could hurt you the most? eg. Being told they pretended to love you, Cheating on you,etc.?.
Lies and untruths are what do me in. Betrayal goes straight to my heart. When I finally commit myself to someone I am loyal to the end. When I discover someone hasn't been loyal, I'm so confused. When I'm confused and don't understand, I feel stupid. That's the worst.

·
Registered
5,130 Posts
The one where they say they pretended to love me sounds like it would hurt the most, assuming I cared for them ofc. Because presumably we'd have been together for a while so I would have built a lot of stuff off of the connection in my brain and them saying it was all based on a lie would just ruin everything. All the connections would have to be reconsidered, all the hopes and dreams and assumptions and kindness and caring and love and understanding and insight would burn and fall out of the sky. Seriously, it would be awful. I would be gutted.

But it would give me the opportunity to melodramatically cry 'Everything I thought I knew was a lie!' so there's that.

·
Banned
2,266 Posts
What if a girl had to choose between an INTP and her family? Would that kind of rejection be angering/ gutting if she chose her family over him? Would most INFPS get over it?

·
Registered
1,785 Posts
What if a girl had to choose between an INTP and her family? Would that kind of rejection be angering/ gutting if she chose her family over him? Would most INFPS get over it?
If she explained that she just needed to go be with her family 3000 miles away or whatever, that wouldn't cause any bad feelings. At least she cared enough to give you the reasons.

·
Banned
4,619 Posts
What if a girl had to choose between an INTP and her family?
I would hope she would have considered this before the situation got serious. Or at least told me of this limitation in the beginning, so that I could mentally prepare for it. I feel I am very flexible about the type of relationships I can be in, if I prepare myself mentally in advance. (meaning LTR, FWB, or other.)

·
Banned
2,266 Posts
I would hope she would have considered this before the situation got serious. Or at least told me of this limitation in the beginning, so that I could mentally prepare for it. I feel I am very flexible about the type of relationships I can be in, if I prepare myself mentally in advance. (meaning LTR, FWB, or other.)
Yes. Full honesty from get go
And telling him that it would come to crossroads. And even if she wanted to lie it would be obvious.

·
Banned
2,266 Posts
Ok what if she was trying hard not to fall in love with him? Would he hate her for it? And yes he knew what the whole time she would try not to fall for him. She was very honest from get go as to why but she kept trying her best not to fall for him and still be friendly.

·
Registered
1,236 Posts
I don't understand the whole betrayal thing in romantic relationships. It seems like some wacky social protocol invented by some religion zealot... [ESTABLISHING ROMANTIC CONNECTION], [CONNECTION COMPLETED], client sends ABORT, [ABORT FAILS with RESPONSE ERROR 488].

Computer networking joke aside, my girlfriend can do whatever she wants. She can leave me for some other guy/girl whenever she likes, and we can still be friends, and I'd love her as much. Demanding that another person must make you happy is not love.

·
Registered
1,310 Posts
I don't understand the whole betrayal thing in romantic relationships. It seems like some wacky social protocol invented by some religion zealot... [ESTABLISHING ROMANTIC CONNECTION], [CONNECTION COMPLETED], client sends ABORT, [ABORT FAILS with RESPONSE ERROR 488].

Computer networking joke aside, my girlfriend can do whatever she wants. She can leave me for some other guy/girl whenever she likes, and we can still be friends, and I'd love her as much. Demanding that another person must make you happy is not love.
What is love?

1 - 20 of 56 Posts