Personality Cafe banner

1 - 2 of 2 Posts

·
Banned
548 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
one his works are pure poetry its like a mixture of philosophy and poetry in one,also neistche is all for life,even eastern mystics like buddha use to say life is just a struggle but niestche is life affirmitive,it is said when zarathustra was born he was laughing.

·
Banned
2,042 Posts
True, his prose is fantastic. One of the best out there, I'd say. But in terms of actual substance, there's little 'philosophy' to be found in his writings. I consider him a motivational speaker more than a philosopher. He isn't popular in academic circles for this very reason; nothing that he's said wasn't already said before him. He simply provided new lenses to see the same thing, which, in his time, was all people needed. That need exists even now and possibly will exist for all times to come.

But I like these non-philosophers that you could very easily mistake as philosophers. These people make the best mentors. Christopher Hitchens is another example of people like Nietzsche. In my humble opinion, for a common man, there's more to be learned from these vultures scavenging their dire nourishment from truth's carcass than those who are seemingly infinitely approaching the 'truth'. I've never seen anyone say 'Karl Popper changed my life', even though Popper has contributed more to Philosophy as a discipline than Nietzsche. By assenting the cynical and the dissident, I don't intend to soldier the idea that the only true wisdom is renunciation. Far from it, I'm of the opinion that people like Karl Popper can only positively contribute to a society which upholds people like Nietzsche as its mentor. In other words: this wisdom of renunciation is the one that allows for every truly useful wisdom. If Nietzsche hadn't been misinterpreted to the point of becoming a paragon of nihilism, perhaps we could have avoided the human experimentation, the abuses of technology, we witnessed in the 20th century.

Elitists are eager to deny the value of thinkers like Nietzsche because of how little they mean to Philosophy. I've seen a few on this forum too, and I see them almost every day on facebook, reddit, 4chan etc. I agree with half of their sentiment; Nietzsche does not deserve the place he's been granted in the ranks of Philosophy. I merely wish to put him in the place he deserves: He changed lives, not Philosophy.

Reactions: Dare and Wellington
1 - 2 of 2 Posts