Personality Cafe banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
389 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
For INFP mine is how, even if someone is clearly a blatant healthy, and for lack of a better phrase, alpha-seeming Fi-Ne user they still can't be INFP, unless they're an awkward, shy, weak, girly looking, high pitched boi with a permanently sad expression who keeps poking his hipster glasses back into position, then they must just be an ISTJ with high Fi or something, and god forbid they show any hints of charisma "E this E that E E E E E". Not saying INFPs (myself included) are big and tough and manly, just that it's annoying how many famous people I've identified as clearly 100% being Fi-Ne users but they also seem like (again, no better word) normal men so everyone will say "obviously not an INFP trolol look at him I'd guess ISTP maybe"

Yes I did just post this as an excuse to rant

·
Registered
INFP 4w5 sp
5,232 Posts
probably the "selfish Fi user" stereotype is the most annoying.

buuuut also the idea that INFPs are clumsy.

and that we're all depressed and wallowing in self-hatred.

and that we are good-for-nothing.

For one thing, people of any type can be selfish, clumsy, depressed, or have trouble navigating life. There are many factors that may interplay with different personalities in different ways to bring these flaws about.

·
Registered
ISTJ
1,530 Posts
Ignore them, because they aren't true. Not one ounce of evidence or proof to back up these claims. Understand that when others speak ill of others, what they're really doing is letting their own insecurities show, so there isn't anything to gain from you listening to them. Just do you :)

·
Registered
ISTJ
2,358 Posts
All of them.
Well you're ESTJ so yes, that makes sense because ALL there is about ESTJs on the internet are negative stereotypes.

For me it's the whole Conservative/bigot thing. I'm a big leftie, so that triggers me. But I reckon that A) I'm gay so of course I'm liberal B) It's true that most ISTJs are in fact conservative leaning and C) That is usually because they're so overwhelmed with daily duties that they often just don't take time to absorb different info and points of view. I'm childless and single so ALL I do is read about stuff and listen to different perspectives. But like I said, that's probably not the every day reality of your typical ISTJ.

·
Registered
543 Posts
As an ENTP, I am really annoyed about the 'Debater' attribute!

Why do people automatically assume I seek out arguments with everybody?
I am actually conflict adverse and I dislike hurtful emotional consequences because of a 'discussion'.
I tend to be very tactful in verbal debate, especially when I am aware that other people are not as resiliant as me.

The whole 'Debater' thing and the common view that we (ENTP's) don't care about other people's feelings or opinions drives me crazy.

·
Registered
996 Posts
Well you're ESTJ so yes, that makes sense because ALL there is about ESTJs on the internet are negative stereotypes.

For me it's the whole Conservative/bigot thing. I'm a big leftie, so that triggers me. But I reckon that A) I'm gay so of course I'm liberal B) It's true that most ISTJs are in fact conservative leaning and C) That is usually because they're so overwhelmed with daily duties that they often just don't take time to absorb different info and points of view. I'm childless and single so ALL I do is read about stuff and listen to different perspectives. But like I said, that's probably not the every day reality of your typical ISTJ.
With Si it really seems to matter more what prior experiences the ISxJ had to use as their foundation, if they grew up in a conservative environment then they use that as part of their experiential base, but if they grew up in an environment with more diverse information then what they use as their experiential base will not be stereotypical.

Si is just skeptical of new information, which is a relatively conservative/cautious approach to situations but that does not equal ideological conservativism.

·
Registered
112 Posts
Saying that INFJs are the "rarest" type.

I'm an INFJ and one of my three best friends is as well. We could both honestly give a shit and we don't feel "special" about being an INFJ in any way. We sought out/studied MBTI and the Enneagram in order to improve lessen our weaknesses. Not so much on PerC, but on YouTube I've seen a ton of comments with people calling out INFJs as really self-absorbed simply for stating they are INFJs.

Ranting a bit but I personally wish there were a streamlined set of Enneagram and MBTI tests to trump all before them while typing with insane accuracy. With systems like that there would be far less confusion. (This assumes the participants are interested in both MBTI and Enneatypes).

I should mention, as much as I dislike stereotypes, whenever I see multiple people claiming to be a certain type talking amongst themselves I immediately "see" their types floating above their heads. Unless they say something I consider to be truly off with their claimed type, everything they say from the point of their claim serves a self-fulfilling prophecy. I honestly feel terrible about this, but it is hard to mentally remove a label from someone especially when they cling to it. I'm working on this so that I can objectively judge others whilst constantly reminding myself that there is a shitload of variation among types.

·
Registered
996 Posts
What is annoying about the INTP stereotype is dominant Ti combined with aux Ne is completely useless. There are countless situations that Ti is superior to Te in terms of "usefulness", Ti is just doing things more for the sake of curiosity. I like Lenore Thomson's analogy to baseball when comparing Ti and Te, Te will learn the general rules of the game but Ti is preferable when there is a lot of complex, changing variables where you don't have time to fit those into externally exact measures(like whether to stay at second base or try for home run in her example).

ENTPs are seen as "better" versions of INTPs, I've heard someone on this site specifically state this as fact.
INFPs probably get the negative burnt of stereotypes compared to other intuitives though, like someone already mentioned this idea of Fi being "selfish" which is laughable from all my experiences with Fi dominants. Fi is the most humane of all functions and they will readily self sacrifice for others they consider to be treated inhumanely, whereas Fe's concerns are only within a certain group/tribe they are interpersonally connected to.

·
Registered
112 Posts
What is annoying about the INTP stereotype is dominant Ti combined with aux Ne is completely useless. There are countless situations that Ti is superior to Te in terms of "usefulness", Ti is just doing things more for the sake of curiosity. I like Lenore Thomson's analogy to baseball when comparing Ti and Te, Te will learn the general rules of the game but Ti is preferable when there is a lot of complex, changing variables where you don't have time to fit those into externally exact measures(like whether to stay at second base or try for home run in her example).

ENTPs are seen as "better" versions of INTPs, I've heard someone on this site specifically state this as fact.
INFPs probably get the negative burnt of stereotypes compared to other intuitives though, like someone already mentioned this idea of Fi being "selfish" which is laughable from all my experiences with Fi dominants. Fi is the most humane of all functions and they will readily self sacrifice for others they consider to be treated inhumanely, whereas Fe's concerns are only within a certain group/tribe they are interpersonally connected to.
Oof, just reading that grinds my gears.

I love INTPs and INFPs, they are absolutely beautiful. I've never personally met an ENTP, or at least I don't think I have.

·
Registered
ISTJ
2,358 Posts
Saying that INFJs are the "rarest" type.

I'm an INFJ and one of my three best friends is as well. We could both honestly give a shit and we don't feel "special" about being an INFJ in any way. We sought out/studied MBTI and the Enneagram in order to improve lessen our weaknesses. Not so much on PerC, but on YouTube I've seen a ton of comments with people calling out INFJs as really self-absorbed simply for stating they are INFJs.

Ranting a bit but I personally wish there were a streamlined set of Enneagram and MBTI tests to trump all before them while typing with insane accuracy. With systems like that there would be far less confusion. (This assumes the participants are interested in both MBTI and Enneatypes).

I should mention, as much as I dislike stereotypes, whenever I see multiple people claiming to be a certain type talking amongst themselves I immediately "see" their types floating above their heads. Unless they say something I consider to be truly off with their claimed type, everything they say from the point of their claim serves a self-fulfilling prophecy. I honestly feel terrible about this, but it is hard to mentally remove a label from someone especially when they cling to it. I'm working on this so that I can objectively judge others whilst constantly reminding myself that there is a shitload of variation among types.
I always said, Fake INxJs be like: ''OMG guys! Please follow my blog where I tell you about the the top 10 reasons how I'm misunderstood and actually have special powers!''

Real INxJs on the other hand: ''This f*cking sucks! Is there any way to change or at least partially modify my type??''

ISxJs feel the same but whether we are telling you how much we have special skills/powers or how much life for us sucks, people are like ''Cool story, bruh!''

True IJs are like ''We hate being us, but others depend on us, so whatever we'll stick around...''

·
Registered
224 Posts

Start at 8:18. Optimal speed: 1.5

A Model of (Often Mixed) Stereotype Content: Competence and Warmth Respectively Follow From Perceived Status and Competition

Susan T. Fiske et al.

Stereotype research emphasizes systematic processes over seemingly arbitrary contents, but content also may prove systematic. On the basis of stereotypes’ intergroup functions, the stereotype content model hypothesizes that (a) 2 primary dimensions are competence and warmth, (b) frequent mixed clusters combine high warmth with low competence (paternalistic) or high competence with low warmth(envious), and (c) distinct emotions (pity, envy, admiration, contempt) differentiate the 4 competence–warmth combinations.

Stereotypically, (d) status predicts high competence, and competition predicts low warmth. Nine varied samples rated gender, ethnicity, race, class, age, and disability out-groups. Contrary to antipathy models, 2 dimensions mattered, and many stereotypes were mixed, either pitying (low competence, high warmth subordinates) or envying (high competence, low warmth competitors). Stereotypically, status predicted competence, and competition predicted low warmth.

Table 2: Scales, Study 1, CONSTRUCT / ITEMS

Competence:

As viewed by society, how … are members of this group?
[competent, confident, independent, competitive, intelligent]

Warmth:

As viewed by society, how … are members of this group?
[tolerant, warm, good natured, sincere]

• How prestigious are the jobs typically achieved by members of this group?
  • How economically successful have members of this group been?
  • How well educated are members of this group?
Competition:
  • If members of this group get special breaks (such as preference in hiring decisions), this is likely to make things more difficult for people like me.
  • The more power members of this group have, the less power people like me are likely to have.
  • Resources that go to members of this group are likely to take away from the resources of people like me.
DOI: 10.1037//0022-3514.82.6.878
Source: https://cos.gatech.edu/facultyres/Diversity_Studies/Fiske_StereotypeContent.pdf

The BIAS Map Quadrants

1) (High) Warmth / (High) Competence
  • Emotion: Admiration
  • Behavior: Active facilitation
  • Description: The in-group, i.e., the group to which an observer personally belongs [THE OWN PERSONALITY TYPE, WITH EXCEPTIONS], close allies, and societal reference groups (e.g., cultural default groups such as the middle class, heterosexuals) tend to be rated as high on both dimensions. However, there are differences between in-group perceptions between Western and Eastern cultures, with only Western cultures displaying this in-group favoritism.
2) (High) Warmth / (Low) Competence
  • Emotion: Pity
  • Behavior: Passive facilitation
  • Description: According to stereotype surveys conducted in the U.S., some commonly pitied out-groups include the elderly and mentally disabled. Out-groups that are pitied are within the in-group’s moral framework, but are often isolated from society. As an example, the elderly, who are pitied, will either receive passive harm, often in the form of isolation in nursing homes, or active facilitation displayed through elderly charities or community service.
3) (Low) Warmth / (High) Competence
  • Emotion: Envy
  • Behavior: Passive harm
  • Description: Out groups that are seen as lacking warmth and possessing high competency will evoke envy. Studies on US stereotypes identified wealthy Americans, Asian Americans, and members in the Jewish community in the high competency/low warmth out-group category. [INTJ, ENTJ[, ISTJ, ESTJ]]
4) (Low) Warmth / (Low) Competence
  • Emotion: Contempt
  • Behavior: Active harm
  • Description: Out-groups that are appraised with low warmth and low competency are subject to the greatest amount of hostility. Groups that are subjected to the low/low category commonly include the homeless and welfare recipients.
Source: Stereotype content model - Wikipedia

·
Registered
9,885 Posts
Last I checked I was not a beer guzzling frat boi , who kisses their muscles

And while I will absolutely admit I am not strong on basic education in classroom. I am extremely perceptive and able to teach myself quite a lot. I moved a shit ton growing up. And this was before electronic transcripts existed. So point being they did not catch on to that the last grade I passed was the 6th grade until I was a junior and it was too late. So I would say the fact that the last real true technical grade I passed was the 6th grade. And that I managed to study the GED, go to University and be a C/B student with zero academic guidance. As well as educate myself. Well I think I'm actually pretty fucken "smart' all things considered.

I do not like heights, and do not desire to jump out of a plane

Sex, drugs, and rock n roll. Uh well I had my rebellion days. They were fun.

I do lack commitment but not always. If I love someone I will be into the idea. Although my exgirlfriend fucked me up pretty bad so doubt I'm looking right now. But its been a while since I got laid.

Eh I guess I do have a high number count/ Guess that is ESTP like
And I guess I am bi and all bisexuals are unicorns or sluts, so that is ESTP
Talk about horrific when my INFP daughter asks me how many people I slept with.
Me: I don't know.
Her face, uh wtf mom.
Well not going to lie.

·
Registered
ISTJ, 6w5 sx/sp, 684
2,398 Posts
To be honest, every MBTI type stereotype is annoying to deal with, It's down to the misinformation and mess that it creates, which leads to the massive amount of fakers and mistypes. Take the "I'm ENTJ, muh badass and can do anything", or people using Fi or INFP to make mislabels because they whined once or had differenating opinion.

1 - 17 of 17 Posts