Personality Cafe banner

1 - 20 of 71 Posts

·
Registered
2,713 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
At this point the INTJ stereotypes are well worn ruts in the road of intellectual discussion of our type. I'm personally bored to death with the ever-revolving door of threads asking how much we personify this that or the other stereotype (see the 101 threads asking to what extent we're sociopaths, autistic, geniuses, capable of love, able to care about others, arrogant, assholes, etc).

I'm in the mood to turn things on their head, so let's talk about the ways we don't fit or defy or are the polar opposite of any of these popular stereotypes.

Share your uniqueness, and feel free to go as in depth about it as you want or just state it. More in depth discussion might include: do you think the stereotype you defy is invalid, do you think the stereotype is valid as far as generalizations go but think you have a particular developmental path that led you to be different, do you think the stereotype is valid but only tells part of the story and you occupy the other part, do you think your apparent opposition to the stereotype is really only a surface level understanding and you can explain how the apparent contradiction actually fits perfectly into the stereotype, etc.

·
Registered
2,713 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
To start- I'm actually really fucking nice and people love me :p

·
Registered
9,424 Posts
Almost all of them.

1. INTJ(s) are also commonly depicted in a masculine light/stereotype. Nerdy awkward or mysterious intellectual quiet guy trope. I am neither male nor fit those other stereotypes.

2. I also rarely debate/argue much [in spite of isolated cases online]. NTJ's are not debaters. ENTJ will rarely debate either. Debating is all TP/FP. When some tight ass offline attempting to debate/open a debate, I am done before it began.

·
Registered
10,978 Posts
evidence before the court:

:brocoli::brocoli::brocoli: hey, it's void!!!! :brocoli::brocoli::brocoli:

i'm perceptive. i'm a world-beating slob. i'm far more interested in people than protons. i read fiction almost exclusively. i'm not interested in 'technology'. i don't need anyone else to translate or mentor me through most interaction with other people, and i do not live in a fucking 'shell' just waiting for some rescuer to 'break into' it.

and, yeah. i'm at least no less-nice than any other person i've met.

·
Registered
522 Posts
The only stereotype of the INTJ that I don't fit is the being successful at work one. INTJ's are supposed to make great employees and are supposed to do pretty well financially, at least compared to other introvert types. I haven't had a regular job in decades, and I haven't made much money on my own, either.

Almost all of them.

1. INTJ(s) are also commonly depicted in a masculine light/stereotype. Nerdy awkward or mysterious intellectual quiet guy trope. I am neither male nor fit those other stereotypes.

2. I also rarely debate/argue much [in spite of isolated cases online]. NTJ's are not debaters. ENTJ will rarely debate either. Debating is all TP/FP. When some tight ass offline attempting to debate/open a debate, I am done before it began.
I think this is just you. I'm INTJ and I debate a LOT.

·
Banned
2,929 Posts
Saaaaame. And I’m social and feel, not great, but fine socially.

Adding: I’m not a take-charge decision-maker that has my whole life trajectory carefully made through a master plan

·
Registered
9,424 Posts
The only stereotype of the INTJ that I don't fit is the being successful at work one. INTJ's are supposed to make great employees and are supposed to do pretty well financially, at least compared to other introvert types. I haven't had a regular job in decades, and I haven't made much money on my own, either.

I think this is just you. I'm INTJ and I debate a LOT.
There is no interesting time to debate outside of academic setting(s). Most things are a matter of opinion/anecdote (&) tedious to argue. You are perhaps bored.

·
Registered
1,377 Posts
I've never fit into the stereotype of 'hates hugs and affection.' However, when I hug those I care about they often act sort of surprised, so maybe I come off that way somehow...

You are perhaps bored.
Yep, when bored, for me. :laughing: Which really confuses people when they think I'm being serious or have some emotional investment into a debate.

·
Registered
639 Posts
WRT debate, for me it's highly situational.

If I think it will be fun, sure. (I do treat thinking less like a game than many of the XNTPs I know seem to, but "debate" as an entertaining mode of communication works well between myself and some of my friends/acquaintances.)

If I think the debate will be educational for one or both parties, or maybe for "audience members," sure.

But most of the time neither of those things is actually true, as far as I can perceive, and I'm acutely aware that getting pulled into debates often turns out to be misuse of my time/energy. I do sometimes feel a push/pull between what could be interpreted as two different expressions of Te: part of me wants to correct people where I think they're getting something wrong and defend my perspectives, part of me polices my own resource usage and wants not to get sidetracked by someone else's bullshit.

Other than that: I am exceedingly human. All of the things that INTJs per the robotic stereotype never experience or feel or do - like caring about what others think of them, or crying, etc. etc. - I experience, feel and do at least every once in a while. And I'm self-aware enough and honest enough to freely admit to it.

Stereotypes that apply to INTJ that are based on scoring J on the Myers-Briggs J/P dichotomy are very hit or miss with me. I fit the INTJ cognitive functions profile rather well, but J/P is the dichotomy I score closest to 50% on. If it involves organizing my physical environment outside of pursuit of some highly specific goal, assume I suck at it.

I enjoy many activities that people would associate with the stereotypical Se-dom. Night clubs, substances, etc. They get me out of my head, which fills my head with all sorts of new things to analyze to death, in the long run. I just can't do too much of them at once without throwing myself way off-kilter, so that stuff is in my "rare treat" bin.

Some other aspects of the INTJ stereotype probably seem like they fit me from the outside but make no sense to me from an insider's perspective. e.g. I'm aware that I can come across as intellectually strident when I'm in articulation mode, so I get that I might seem "confident" some of the time from some perspectives. But confidence as an across the board personality trait is something I consider suspect - in a way, a form of bias - and would not want to have as a rule, nor is it something I find particularly admirable or useful in others. As far as I'm concerned level of confidence in anything (including in me) should be somewhat context-dependent and based on a rolling evaluation. I do trust my own mind, but mostly because I have more control over my own reasoning processes than I have over anyone else's.

·
Registered
2,141 Posts
Here's your bullet points, ya filthy animal:

• I would not really consider myself a meticulous person in general. I comfortably live in controlled chaos - my impeccable organization is localized within my mind.
  • I don't at all look like any stereotype of an INTJ (which we all know is absolute garbage info for the perpetuated by the willingly uneducated/misinformed). Right now, I'm rocking long, black nails, snow white hair, and a comfortable double-digit percentage of my skin is tattooed. I still dress in that 1990s Riot Grrl grunge style. If something needs to be ironed or de-cat haired, oh well. Ain't happenin'. Conversely, my INTP is like the King of Ironing.
  • I don't have difficulty relating to or understanding other people - in fact, I am often told that I come off as charming and a "people person" when, truthfully, I am just trying to get through the social situation in a painless and uncomplicated way. I "get" people - it simply does not fulfill me to meet new people and make new friends.
  • I don't proofread or punctuate my texts unless the message would be confusing without punctuation.
  • I am a super schmoopy and affectionate person. I am ok with strangers hugging/touching me if it's not a creepy "press your breasts against me" kinda deal.
  • I have no interest in taking over the world (the stupidest stereotype and personally, my least favorite). It's waaaay too much responsibility:
    a. I don't actually enjoy being in charge. I am much happier being second-in-command (i.e. pass on the time-consuming and/or messy stuff); however, I keep ending up in leadership positions somehow. My preference is to work alone and be bothered/interrupted scarcely. I don't think that is compatible with taking over the world.
    b. I don't particularly have any interest in dictating to people how their lives should be lead.​
RE: debate

I don't debate much but I don't shrink from it either. It's my ace card. I only play it when absolutely necessary because, boy, some people get a severe case of the butt hurts when they get stampeded and then that's a whole new element that I may have to/hypothetically should attend to. Therefore, I would say I don't debate much because either no one engages me or because it's not worth the fallout.

·
Registered
522 Posts
How come there are more organized and complete bullet point lists on this same topic in the INFP forum than in the INTJ? :eek:h:
Probably because the responses here have been short and to the point. Ask a question with longer answers required and we'll probably organize it.

·
Registered
202 Posts
Extroverted. In command. Not a shy bone in my body.
Able to take charge socially and professionally, and in a fair and likeable, cooperative and organized manner.
Able to lead to excellence, self and others, groups and businesses.
. . . . . .
but, after more than 50 years. . . . . I'm done, finished, kaput, zip, nada . . . . . . . Whew~!~
. . . . . .
now throwing away my super suit armor. . . . .

·
Plague Doctor
5,927 Posts
I perpetually see myself as not anything like the stereotypes and then people point out that I am playing out the INTJ stereotypes.

I don't want to take over the world. That sounds dumb. I have a bit of a "mystic" streak associated with Ni that I think most INTJs either don't have or don't admit to having. Like lilysocks, I prefer fiction to non, but I don't read fiction exclusively. Deffo not a neat and tidy sort of person, but I do keep things manageable and I know where everything is - unless someone else moved it.

I'm sensitive and I mean in all areas like: sensory stimulus, certain words, certain subjects (like suicide), etc.

I'd say I don't dress like one because I don't wear exclusively black, grey, and white, but then, I have bought the exact same dress in at least 6 different prints and I have who knows how many peplum tops. If I find jeans I like, I buy them in multiple colours. I do prefer utility, but not on a grey scale alone.

Horrible at spelling.

1 - 20 of 71 Posts