Personality Cafe banner

1 - 1 of 1 Posts

·
Registered
7,896 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Quote Originally Posted by BranchMonkey View Post
@charlie.elliot

I'm no fan of tri-types either, and reading the Enneagram books (and all the tossing out of tri-typing) helped me abandon any time-wasting in that area.

Chestnut's book, however, nailed it for me on Type 5, sub-type "counter-type," (oddly named Confidence; not by her, however--it's Naranjo's term for a sexual Five).

Hell, after that, I didn't even need the 6 for the "wing" but it's common to have at least "one" of those, so I have, "for now."

charlie.elliot wrote> Exactly... I guess it's not that I necessarily think that tritypes don't exist -- how could I know? Its just that I don't care. I think it's a waste of time. You could spend your entire life unpacking and wrestling with your core type and still not get to the bottom of it.

On the flip side, if you succeed in truly transcending the limitations of your core type, you've done a damn good job. You don't have to then go on and worry about 2 other types!

Tritype theory, to me, makes the Enneagram seem more like astrology or some other kind of pseudoscience that is maybe 20% real and 80% imagination, over-identification, and confirmation bias. (well, I don't think astrology is any % real but you get my point).

Most of us here are Intuitive types and it's easy to let our imaginations run wild. But we need a reality check and remember that the Enneagram is not proven by science, and our psyches aren't systems that can be analyzed and described in precise terms (remember that biology is by far the most complicated science, and that's what we are-- biology).

Personally I think it's possible the Enneagram is full of error, but I don't really care because it's a tool for self-growth, and a completely amazing tool, and at its heart, it's got something right.

That doesn't mean that every little detail is correct or that it can describe our psyches in precise detail like --> 8w7 5w4 3w2 sx/so/sp.

Oops I said I wouldn't get into it damn. :laugh:

@charlie.elliot

I like when someone--this time it's you--writes how I think, so I don't have to; glad you got into it at least one more time. ✍(◔◡◔)

ADDITION: I like it so much I'm going to blog it. I usually just blog my own writing. :p

1 - 1 of 1 Posts