Personality Cafe banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Banned
632 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
The question is pretty simple; "What is God's personality type?" You can choose to use any conception of God you like, whether it is traditional, more recent, or even your own. The only thing I ask is that you try and be civil about this, flame wars add nothing.

·
Registered
488 Posts
I think cognitive functions make little to no sense for a transcendent, omniscient, Being. In fact, the God I believe in is literally more than one person.

That being said, I think the closest we can get to this question even making sense is if we consider God incarnate in Christ prior to His ascension and glorification. That is to say the man Jesus post-Kenosis and pre-Resurrection.

Jesus was likely a day laborer, following in Joseph's footsteps, only embarking on His ministry when He was around 30 years old. Joseph is described as a "tekton," which is sometimes translated/understood as "carpenter" but the word is really more broad than that and simply refers to a "builder." So, Jesus was likely the son of a construction worker.

We also know Jesus was very inquisitive, based on Luke's account of Jesus as a 12 year old boy having late discussions with the teachers at the temple (the very people he would battle later in life). His parents inadvertently left Him there, but this didn't seem to phase the boy Jesus as He was engrossed in conversation. When they scolded Jesus for making them worry so, He famously replied "Why is it that you were looking for Me? Did you not know that I had to be in My Father’s house?" (Luke 2:49).

This isn't the last time Jesus speaks mysteriously, challenging His listeners with sayings that are in some way or other less than literal. It's for these reasons that I think Jesus demonstrates a preference for N over S. I'm by no means a gnostic here, but I do think that Jesus as a man seems to be more concerned with what's going on behind the scenes as opposed to His immediate surroundings.

Christians and non-Christians alike are often struck by Jesus' wisdom and insights into the human condition. On the surface it might seem to imply a tendency towards T over F, but I think on closer analysis I really think Jesus was more of a Feeler. Jesus' insights are almost always about the people dimension, and wise though they are, we cannot discount how Jesus received His words from the Father (John 12:49).

When we move beyond the teachings to examine Jesus' actions, I think a certain picture starts to emerge
- Jesus famously overthrew the tables of the money changers, and beat them with a whip.
- Jesus fiercely debated with the scribes and pharisees, but while demonstrating an immense intelligence (no doubt the work of the Father through the Spirit again), Jesus did not refrain from open rebuke of their hypocrisy.
- Meanwhile, Jesus openly demonstrated a lot of warmth and affection. The shortest scripture in the NT is "Jesus wept" but that profound statement is not alone in the emotive nature seen clearly in Jesus. He welcomed children, healed young and old, cared for the sick and the poor.

Finally, I think if there's any more clear example of Jesus the Man fully cooperating with His human nature it's in two key places
- Jesus' agony in the garden. He sweat blood in anxiety over the trial to come and asked the Father--if only for a moment--for it to pass Him by.
- Jesus' final purported words included "My God, my God, why have you forsaken me?" (Matthew 27:46). A quote from the Psalms of course, but words sincerely spoken in pain and fear I think.

When I think of Jesus' personality, I see a lot of Fi. He has personal convictions that He is more than willing to overturn Fe societal convictions to effect. He spends times in quiet reflection, even expressing being overwhelmed at times by all the crowds. He needs His alone time.

So, all in all... It's ironic that you @Stendhal would ask this one, because in all honesty my best guess about God's personality type (insofar as it can be best quantified in the person of Jesus)... would be INFP.

·
Registered
488 Posts
P.S: This got me curious about what others have thought on the matter, and based on some cursory Googling, I've found the following...

Here they speculate Jesus was INFJ (although the first responder claims INFP, while another insists on T) --> Which MBTI type is Jesus? | Which MBTI Type…
Here a Mormon actually agrees with me on something (scary, lol) and says INFP --> What is Jesus’ Personality Type (MBTI)? | Mormon Matters
Jesus is mentioned as INFJ on this page --> INFJ Personal Growth
Looks like there's a whole discussion on PerC itself specifically about Jesus' personality type --> http://personalitycafe.com/guess-type/16251-jesus-christ-9.html

All in all, it looks like there's an emerging consensus of some kind of NF, which makes a lot of sense to me.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.