Personality Cafe banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Huggable Meepster ^__^
5,900 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So, I did not see any threads on the subject (surprisingly) and I was thinking about the subject a few days ago.

Anyway, I was curious about your opinions on happiness.
What is happiness itself? Or at least, what do you think it is?
Could it be different for different people (or even depend on their personality type)? Or do you think that it is the same for everyone?

I think happiness is a feeling we all share. I think it has to do with how "good" we feel.
My idea on happiness has two components, that I will call internal happiness and external happiness.

Internal happiness has to do with how we feel about ourselves. Where we are in life, whether or not we are proud of the life we lived so far, do we like who we are now ... are all things that affect our internal happiness.

External happiness has to do with how we feel about what is going on in the world around us. Did we win something, was someone nice to us, are we looking at baby bunnies, ... are all things that might make us externally happy.

I think external happiness would be more "volatile" as it is affected by what is happening around us, which can be ever-changing ... at times, it might be a more "in the moment" component of happiness.

I think internal happiness is less affected by external influences, unless the person lets other people's opinions affect how they view themselves (and other events) ... I think internal happiness can be more stable (as it takes into account a lot of information at once), except there are times where very emotional event(s) (positive or negative) that change how the person sees themselves (did they hurt someone badly, is everyone around them telling them they are a bad person and they believe them, did they have an epiphany that they are a good person).

I think internal happiness plays a much great role in overall happiness and can even affect how one perceives external influences (if you feel good about yourself, maybe you are more likely to look for good thinks that are external to you)

I wonder if I even hold a greater importance to internal happiness than others because I an internal feeler, or if that really matters. I still think internal happiness is more important for everyone, but I wonder if I may place greater importance on it that others too.

Yay for happiness ^__^ Hugs all around *hugs* ^__^

·
Registered
4,281 Posts
I would agree with you. It's all a matter of perception, changing the way you view the world, and I think rather than viewing happiness as dependent on external events, it's easier to go through life changing the way you internally perceive the world around you. I've started reading a little bit of Buddhist philosophy and it seems that this is in line with the teachings.

·
Registered
618 Posts

This is my happiness.

Although, in all seriousness, for me happiness is just an emotion. It is a mood just like any other, it is temporary, like sadness, anger, confusion, frustration, etc. It is a short burst, a quick fix.
For me, the thing that I try to focus on in my life is fulfillment. It is long-lasting, rich, and right down to the core. It goes hand in hand with optimism, because you focus on the big picture rather than the present details. So when you naturally have rough times in your life when it isn't going your way, it is fullfillment that keeps you feeling warm inside. Happiness to me can be described as a delicious dessert, or an endorphin rush after a kiss on the lips. Fullfilment, however, is more like the birth of my child. Money can buy happiness, but it can't buy fullfillment.

·
Premium Member
15,290 Posts
What is happiness itself?

Or at least, what do you think it is?

Could it be different for different people (or even depend on their personality type)?

Or do you think that it is the same for everyone?...
Firstly, happiness is your avatar. It is sooooooo cute!

What is happiness itself?
It feels good. It's my endgame, my healthy state and every day way of living. It is a desired state of being. It is a blessing. It is more desirable than sadness. It is a quality considered morally good. It involves contentment, optimism, delight.

Or at least, what do you think it is?
See above answer.

Could it be different for different people (or even depend on their personality type)?
Yes, degrees, definition and desire to experience happiness, vary from person to person

Or do you think that it is the same for everyone?
See above answer.

People are just as happy as they make up their minds to be.” - Abraham Lincoln

"It is not the place, nor the condition, but the mind alone that can make anyone happy or miserable." - Roger L'Estrange

"Happiness is a warm puppy." - Charles Schultz

"Happiness is the consequence of personal effort. You fight for it, strive for it, insist upon it, and sometimes even travel around the world looking for it. You have to participate relentlessly in the manifestations of your own blessings. And once you have achieved a state of happiness, you must never become lax about maintaining it. You must make a mighty effort to keep swimming upward into that happiness forever, to stay afloat on top of it.” - Elizabeth Gilbert, Eat, Pray, Love

·
Registered
63 Posts
There's fleeting happiness which is easy to explain, as for steady happiness. Honestly I think happiness is when you get out of bed with a good feeling, and when you go to bed happy for the next day. But I think happiness is not something that can be easily defined, so I just wanted to cut it short and go for the most easy explanation. You could argue for 10 days about what love is and still not have a clue, I think happiness is the same. So I just butcher it up and keep it simple!

·
Registered
661 Posts
[QUOTEThis is my happiness.

Although, in all seriousness, for me happiness is just an emotion. It is a mood just like any other, it is temporary, like sadness, anger, confusion, frustration, etc. It is a short burst, a quick fix.
For me, the thing that I try to focus on in my life is fulfillment. It is long-lasting, rich, and right down to the core. It goes hand in hand with optimism, because you focus on the big picture rather than the present details. So when you naturally have rough times in your life when it isn't going your way, it is fullfillment that keeps you feeling warm inside. Happiness to me can be described as a delicious dessert, or an endorphin rush after a kiss on the lips. Fullfilment, however, is more like the birth of my child. Money can buy happiness, but it can't buy fullfillment. ][/QUOTE]

This is something I am only just realising. Great post!

What do you INFPs find fulfilling

·
Registered
661 Posts
For me, the thing that I try to focus on in my life is fulfillment. It is long-lasting, rich, and right down to the core. It goes hand in hand with optimism, because you focus on the big picture rather than the present details. So when you naturally have rough times in your life when it isn't going your way, it is fullfillment that keeps you feeling warm inside. Happiness to me can be described as a delicious dessert, or an endorphin rush after a kiss on the lips. Fullfilment, however, is more like the birth of my child. Money can buy happiness, but it can't buy fullfillment.

What do you INFPs find fulfilling

·
Registered
209 Posts
In my opinion, happiness is a state of mind - only attained through self-knowledge. Knowing what you want, how you want it and without making concessions about who you are.

This will probably never be attained, but it's about the journey and not the destination. :p

·
Banned
2,700 Posts

This is my happiness.

Also thanking for superb signature! :happy:

·
Registered
17,161 Posts
I can be happy for a short moment, but I seek contentment. The times I walk around with a smile because things are just swell, I almost float on my feet on such days because I feel so light so free.
I can't force such days to occur, but I can maintain a level of living that helps promotes its occurrence.
Lack of sleep isn't one of them.

·
Registered
205 Posts
For me, personally, happiness is something you take rather than find. Every moment can be one of happiness, even the ones that appear to be simply grey and dull. It is by seizing the moment and find the curiousity for living in there that you become happy. So, to remain in that mood, don't go searching for it across the world and back again, it's right here, on your doorstep, awaiting you to pick it up.

·
Registered
7 Posts
[QUOTEThis is my happiness.

For me, the thing that I try to focus on in my life is fulfillment. It is long-lasting, rich, and right down to the core. It goes hand in hand with optimism, because you focus on the big picture rather than the present details. So when you naturally have rough times in your life when it isn't going your way, it is fullfillment that keeps you feeling warm inside. Happiness to me can be described as a delicious dessert, or an endorphin rush after a kiss on the lips. Fullfilment, however, is more like the birth of my child. Money can buy happiness, but it can't buy fullfillment. ]

What do you INFPs find fulfilling[/QUOTE]

For me, I find true happiness when I feel an inner balance of all of my senses. Not only do I feel like I am developing my strengths, but I an also facing my weaknesses in such a manner that I know is only going to help me grow. Like you said, it is fullfillment.

·
Banned
2,700 Posts
sleep.

·
Banned
867 Posts
My opinion: It's an emotion people will give its own color to. It has many different shades to it. I'm not wise enough to define something like this, it varies for different people. You can come up with common patterns of what happiness is for people to create a standard, but people grab too strongly on standards and forget the "hidden" shades. In consumerist U.S. some people will unquestioningly go to college, get a job, and get a family to follow this standard and realize this isn't what they were searching for when they thought of happiness.
I don't know what my own happiness is yet. I know what gives me joy, I probably know the feeling, I just can't define the feeling with words yet. My own opinion for now is I don't know I guess.

1 - 18 of 18 Posts