• Art

Votes: 14 23.7%
  • other(please post your choice)

Votes: 6 10.2%
1 - 20 of 35 Posts

·
Registered
962 Posts
I'm going to go against the possible infp norm, and say medicine (science) is humanity's greatest achievement.

If it wasn't at the level it has been for the last 65 years, there's a good chance many of us wouldn't be around. I would never have made it past double lung pneumonia at 7 years of age for instance. Average life expectancy would still be around 35-40 and we wouldn't be enjoying what we are today on a multitude of levels. Some would say less people on the planet would be a good thing, but most would agree reduced suffering is kind of a positive.

·
Registered
2,999 Posts
Raping the planet and each other. :laughing: Yaaaaaaaay.

Reactions: SenhorFrio

·
Registered
251 Posts
I'd have to say art... because science, philosophy, language & writing, and virtually any other dedicated practice humans have ever done are all technically arts. =P Not to mention that the art probably meant by "art" is still humanity's greatest form of emotional communication, the great transcendent medium for expressing anything that is otherwise inexplicable and inexpressible.

·
Registered
1,514 Posts
Science/Technological Advancement takes precedent for me.

it replaced our sharpened sticks with brutally efficient killing tools, allows us to maintain larger sections of land with less people, medical discoveries can't ever be taken for granted, helps us to stay informed, gives us the platform to stand on, so we may dream higher than those that lived before us.

And you know what, it influences all of those other options too.

·
Registered
431 Posts
Science... because as it gets more and more advanced it seems we answer more and more questions we thought were unanswerable. Yea it's helped us improve as a species,(and some would say even that is questionable) but has it really helped the biosphere as a whole? Probably not...

·
Registered
470 Posts
Art! For me, art (mostly in the form of music) is the one perfect thing in the world.

Science is an obvious answer, and while it's a huge acheivement in many ways, it's also scary. I fear the future because of all of this scientific advancement... with technology people don't do the natural and fundamental things they used to do (kids playing outside less and spending more time on computers), I worry that we are too dependent on medicine and we'll even become more so; it's easy for people to go out to eat together and spend almost half of their time texting on their phones and not talking, etc. It seems like the more we have, the more anxious and unhappy we tend to be. And we're not going to stop advancing now, we're not going to stop getting more and more, and it really truthfully scares the crap out of me.

I wish I lived back when things were more "natural" and science and technology were still yet to be thought of. I can't imagine having the internet or my phone taken away from me now (technology is also disgustingly addicting), but when I was growing up I knew not of either of them. And I feel like I was "better" and more at peace, more one with things, or something. I miss it a lot.

So, here's to art being the greatest!

·
Registered
663 Posts
language - without communication we'd all be isolated - it glues everything together - without it we'd just be animals. None of the other things would be able to exist either...well they would ONLY exist in an individuals head...perhaps ART could survive as that is just communicating ideas in another way

·
Registered
663 Posts
Art! For me, art (mostly in the form of music) is the one perfect thing in the world.

Science is an obvious answer, and while it's a huge acheivement in many ways, it's also scary. I fear the future because of all of this scientific advancement... with technology people don't do the natural and fundamental things they used to do (kids playing outside less and spending more time on computers), I worry that we are too dependent on medicine and we'll even become more so; it's easy for people to go out to eat together and spend almost half of their time texting on their phones and not talking, etc. It seems like the more we have, the more anxious and unhappy we tend to be. And we're not going to stop advancing now, we're not going to stop getting more and more, and it really truthfully scares the crap out of me.

I wish I lived back when things were more "natural" and science and technology were still yet to be thought of. I can't imagine having the internet or my phone taken away from me now (technology is also disgustingly addicting), but when I was growing up I knew not of either of them. And I feel like I was "better" and more at peace, more one with things, or something. I miss it a lot.

So, here's to art being the greatest!
I'm reminded of the scene in Watchmen graphic novel where Adrian Veidt / Ozymandias is talking about scientific progress and says something like "there are no limits to scientific progress only our consciences." Apart from the www and satellite communications I really cannot think of much scientific progress which has *significantly* improved the world in the last 50 years

·
Registered
1,070 Posts
I voted for Language because without that, none of those other great things could really be materialized! Not Science, Philosophy, etc... And as for writing... imagine how much more lost the Te function users would be without that?! xD

...Oh, well there is art independent of language/writing, but not everyone on this earth likes or uses that. xD

Weeeeeeell, If you ask me personally, my choice IS art- in every one of its forms. Without that, I'd be pretty much a walking zombie. I love my music. Dx

1 - 20 of 35 Posts