Personality Cafe banner
1 - 20 of 31 Posts

·
Registered
INTP (I thimk) 5w
17,258 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
What is "interesting"? Is that subjective applying only to you or is there some universal way of saying it? What do you find interesting that others probably would not? What do you find interesting that others would probably share?

Conversely, what do others find interesting that no way would you? What do others find interesting that tends to seduce your interest?

Are there certain days when something would peak your interest but not on others? Are there things which you wish would peak your interest but do not? Are the things which peak your interest but you wish would not?

Are there things from the past you used to be interested in but now do not? Why did you lose interest if they were so interesting?

Is there something people are saying in this thread you find interesting and would like to continue or wish others would continue?

·
Registered
INTP (I thimk) 5w
17,258 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
Do you have an interest in something which no one else seems to share?

·
Registered
16 Posts
What is "interesting"? Is that subjective applying only to you or is there some universal way of saying it? What do you find interesting that others probably would not? What do you find interesting that others would probably share?
It's like the concept of "good" and "bad.
What is "good"? And what is "bad"? Both are stupid creations of the human to categorize everything, no one can tell correctly what is 'good' and what is 'bad'.

·
Registered
14 Posts
I'm interested in a lot of different topics like art history, psychology, economics, web design, music, literature, and some off-beat topics (a.k.a. memes re: my username) and I think what I hone in on the most is the how of all things. From there I can find both similarities and differences with other people --- for instance, I find that most of my friends are concerned with things that affect them, not things that seem faraway and abstract (e.g. ethics, morals, etc). I also find myself very bored by a lot of the topics that come up in small talk, and I guess that's where a major gap lies between myself and others --- I'm interested in weird abstract stuff, while others are interested in more concrete and the present, like current events, new movies, etc.

·
Registered
INTP (I thimk) 5w
17,258 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
What is "good"? And what is "bad"? Both are stupid creations of the human to categorize everything, no one can tell correctly what is 'good' and what is 'bad'.
What is interesting is I am cursed with a good answer to that no one else recognizes as good because, "one size fits all" and no one cares.

What is good is what is constructive; what is bad is what is destructive. That is a good definition because it is foundational and centered. One can derive any variation based on that. What else is we can use the concept of constructiveness/ destructiveness to define love/ justice and who knows what else.

·
Registered
INTP (I thimk) 5w
17,258 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
I'm interested in a lot of different topics like art history, psychology, economics, web design, music, literature, and some off-beat topics (a.k.a. memes re: my username) and I think what I hone in on the most is the how of all things. From there I can find both similarities and differences with other people --- for instance, I find that most of my friends are concerned with things that affect them, not things that seem faraway and abstract (e.g. ethics, morals, etc). I also find myself very bored by a lot of the topics that come up in small talk, and I guess that's where a major gap lies between myself and others --- I'm interested in weird abstract stuff, while others are interested in more concrete and the present, like current events, new movies, etc.
That is an excellent rendition in a first post. It sounds to me characteristic of the INTP and INTPs can find themselves alone with that outlook.

What I find interesting is the etiology (derivation) of the INTP. Some believe personality types are set at birth. I'm of the mind that even if something starts there, it gets reinforced along the way.

·
Registered
INTP (I thimk) 5w
17,258 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 · (Edited)
A fitting application of concept. Bravo.
Do I read you right? They are "stupid" because they are useless and misapplied? Don't human beings LOVE concepts anyway? Correction: Maybe xNxx types, not xSxx types.

·
Registered
1,253 Posts
Do I read you right? They are "stupid" because they are useless and misapplied? Don't human beings LOVE concepts anyway? Correction: Maybe xNxx types, not xSxx types.
I just meant to say that the person I quoted reinforced the subjectivity theory and that our opinions shouldn't bear on others. They then proceeded to break the premise of that theory by labeling something as "stupid".

·
Registered
INTP (I thimk) 5w
17,258 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
I just meant to say that the person I quoted reinforced the subjectivity theory and that our opinions shouldn't bear on others. They then proceeded to break the premise of that theory by labeling something as "stupid".
You are right. I missed that.

What I find interesting though is this categorization: I tried to make "good" objective and reasonable. "Stupid" I think of as an emotional term, unlike "ignorant" which has an objectivity about it. Some people will try to argue rationally with emotional terms not realizing they are such and ... ahem ... winding up in an argument.

·
Registered
1,438 Posts
I tend to find things interesting which seem to have something of substance there to dig into and figure out, where this is not immediately apparent or obvious. I therefore lose interest if it turns out to be simple, or lacking in substance, or not the type of thing that has any logic or "figuring out" that can be done with it.

I will obviously be a bit less interested in something if I feel I was able to totally figure it out (rare), but it isn't the same feeling of empty disinterest I feel in the other scenarios. If I find out something that I initially thought was interesting actually holds nothing worthy of interest, I get a sinking feeling.

·
Registered
1,345 Posts
No. All that which is proper to the life of a rational being is the good; all that which destroys it is the evil ("bad"). As far as there being an objective definition of what a specific person should find interesting, it won't be found because this is a highly personal choice depending on the whole context of his life. This doesn't make it "subjective" though-- it makes it personal.

·
Registered
6,423 Posts
Ofcourse you can tell what good is and what bad is. Doesn't mean everyone has the exact same definition but definitely there are basic principles on which good and bad are based.

And what's wrong with categorizing? You want to not categorize things? You categorize all the time. You wouldn't be able to use your brain if it didn't categorize everything it perceives.

Your real problem isn't with categorizing, but with the moral/emotional value that is given to things. You probably don''t see it that way, but you may once you realize that for example the categories "men" and "women" say nothing about value or worth, but only about specific properties that all items in that category have in common. This is also why most things exist in multiple categories. It's normal.

·
Registered
1,345 Posts
Your real problem isn't with categorizing, but with the moral/emotional value that is given to things.
This is pretty much the reason people do this although it should read moral or emotional because the two concepts are completely independent of one another. People get in a huff because they think either morals are a result of arbitrary social conventions (subjectivism) or are decreed by the supernatural (intrinsic). In reality, it's well. reality that is the "source" of what is or isn't proper to the life of a man and is discovered via reason (objective). Nobody (or no thing, god, majority, entity) "decides". Reality just is.

·
Registered
122 Posts

That works with all the "opinion" adjectives.
Even things like "big", "small", "cold", "hot" are relative.
All is relative.

·
Registered
122 Posts
Ofcourse you can tell what good is and what bad is. Doesn't mean everyone has the exact same definition but definitely there are basic principles on which good and bad are based.
I think the meaning of "bad" and "good" is relative. Sure there are basic principles that we recognize as universal, but that's not so easy. Psychopath people don't feel guilty for doing "bad things". For them, the idea of "bad" and "good" is quite different. They probably know what is considered bad or good, but simply they give different meaning to these words.

And what's wrong with categorizing? You want to not categorize things? You categorize all the time. You wouldn't be able to use your brain if it didn't categorize everything it perceives.
I agree. We categorize everything. My mind is not a mixture of bad good easy difficult stupid interesting, but these abstract concepts are categorized as I think they should be categorized.
Without these concepts it would be a mess. They're useful in order to organize the inner (or outer) world, even if they're not "true" and "objective".

·
Registered
122 Posts
We have all concluded that "interesting" is subjective. There's nothing considered interesting by everyone, that's an abstract and subjective concepts that gets different meanings from personf to person.
I find interesting studying. Math, science (especially astronomy), philosophy, psychology, religion (the idea of God)... and other things like reading, drawing, writing. On this last, I haven't got friends or aquaintances interested in writing. Someone may share my love for drawing and writing. Not for religion, is sort of a tabu for almost everyone I know.

Others find interesting parties. Well, also everyday things I'm not interest in (small talk and similar). Or films, they love watching films. I don't like them a lot because I get distracted after a few minutes, especially if they're action or historical films. I'm just interested in horror ones, and lately I'm in love with Dario Argento's films.

Well, sometimes I'm interested in human relationships. Sometimes people attract me, but I'm just interested in analyzing them.
Sure there are days I'm interested in things the day before I wasn't. Like, again, writing. There are days I can just think of it, and others I don't really care.

More in general, I'm interest in abstract things and things that haven't got an application in everyday life, while others seem to be interested in the "here and now".

·
Registered
168 Posts
As for me, everything yet nothing.

It depends on individuals and subjects. Can't be generalized.

·
Registered
1,345 Posts
That works with all the "opinion" adjectives.
Even things like "big", "small", "cold", "hot" are relative.
All is relative.
No those are contextual not "relative".

·
Registered
1,345 Posts
I think the meaning of "bad" and "good" is relative.
Then you are thinking wrong or more likely not at all.

1 - 20 of 31 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.