Personality Cafe banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
557 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi INFJs,

I'm testing an hypothesis.

Please tell me to what degree (25%, 50%, 75% or 90% of the time) that this is your experience of acquiring knowledge on a day-to-day using intuition:

"Intuition is the ability to acquire knowledge without proof, evidence, or conscious reasoning, or without understanding how the knowledge was acquired"

Thanks,
Sun18 :eek:)

9,999 Posts
I can't put a number on it, and I don't agree with your definition of intuition.

IME information-gathering is both conscious and subconscious. I can be consciously reading an article or talking to someone, and I can be subconsciously picking up information I am not consciously paying attention to. Both kinds of information are used to detect patterns. I don't do my pattern-matching consciously, that much is true, but once I become aware of a pattern, I do sometimes trace it back to see if it adds up.

I've studied a lot of languages, IMHO they are a good example. When I am studying consciously, I read, I write, I listen, I talk. I am actively memorising words, deciphering grammar, training my ears to detect syllables and words. However I will regularly notice that certain constructions make sense to me even though I can't explain why, and it generally turns out that they are correct. I will often understand the gist of something without fully understanding that much detail, i.e. see the big jigsaw picture while many pieces are still missing.

Something like this ... I have a few pieces, many are missing, but the overarching pattern emerges well before all of the pieces are there. Often, I will "know" which piece should occupy the space next to a piece I've been studying without having worked it out consciously. It just feels right. I have enough data to compute the piece heuristically.

It's not 100% accurate however, which IMHO is the big danger with intuition. Intuition works well in some situations and poorly in others. It is prone to throwing up false matches in certain situations, especially if your data is of poor quality. The patterns you feel definitely exist in your mind, but they may or may not exist outside of it.

·
Registered
3,015 Posts
Percentages are math, and I don't do math when I can help it ;)

The idea that intuition is a lack of thought is rather flawed, as always there must be some observation or fact that inspires it.

Instead, the issue is that intuition takes an often quiet, drifty mind from 0-60 in a moment, so fast that it's easy to miss. The only way to catch it is if it occurs during a moment of deep introspection, or as Marv said, to track it backwards... both of which require heavy concentration and determination, because Ni is likely to relax back to drifting just as fast if left to it's own devices.

It's like someone who normally walks at a casual pace suddenly takes off in a sprint, and upon finding themselves strolling along again they notice they are now in a different area... but did they ever run at all, or were they already here? Finding the truth of what occurred can be a challenge.

Dr. Dario Nardi in his EEG studies shows that when in a state of flow, Ni doms use brain regions not part of their normally favored set - a sort of cooperative thinking which isn't maintained for long (my words because I forget the specific ones he uses. Anyone?)
So that's kind of like having team members who offer up information & perspectives in a meeting but then immediately disappear again. Asking them those important follow-up questions or nailing them down on a specific item becomes challenging if they are no longer in the room. And by challenging, I mean it can be impossible.

·
Registered
930 Posts
I like the definition you gave in the first post. As for my intuition, I'd say I use it on a daily basis.

·
Registered
1,184 Posts
"Intuition is the ability to acquire knowledge without proof, evidence, or conscious reasoning, or without understanding how the knowledge was acquired"
Can't tell about numbers but this definition has 2 sides - while it's true, I've seen still there often is reasoning and understanding behind how the knowledge was acquired (even intuition doesn't figure things out out of nothing) but you don't always notice it conciously :) I've started to notice much more conciously how intuition works since I got into MBTI and learned about both Ni and Ne a lot. I have good chance to observe both versions daily in myself and my partner.

Ni seems to put puzzle together from many pieces of actual present information in parallel and "sees" where that equation system of information with multiple variables leads to, in a focused way (I can see based on my INFJ partner). Although it seems to me it's more subconcious compared to Ne and as INFJ doesn't so clearly detect present information via Se, Ni sort of "fills in" the gaps" and does very good job at that.

Ne does similar but in opposite way - as I can't detect well the specific details of the given object or idea (that small Si), Ne will "destroy" the initial object at hands in order to give me many possible related puzzle pieces about which the initial details could be, in a form of "what are the options", in nonlinear and unfocused way.

We both definitely use their version of intuition a lot daily.

·
Registered
INTP 9w1-5w4-2w3 sp/so
2,602 Posts
I would describe intuition as being in the nonsensical world of my mind the majority of my waking life, and having a disconnect to what is going on around me. Not 100% sure what number percentages I'd place upon it. I am kind of slow at processing the world but once I do take that time, I understand situations much better than I did before I took the time to pick things apart and make connections.

Where I can spawn ideas for creative projects or escape from stressful situations. The world of ni is often where I go to kind of get things sorted out, where I get stuck on an idea, and I also take facts into consideration when it comes to topics I'm interested in, but the what if is there to. Kind of my way of make connections, ways of knowing, and where my obsessions come from. It's a constant things that is never turned off and always going.

·
Registered
1,455 Posts
Intuition is knowing these threads are going to ask what "real" intuition has and who really has it.
It doesn't take intuition to know that the ENTP version of this thread went off on a tangent! :tongue:

1 - 10 of 10 Posts