Personality Cafe banner
1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
3,760 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Not characteristics or behavioral tendencies, but what it actually is as a process. I suspect qualities and abilities that come from Introversion and Thinking may be mistaken for Intuition in some cases. Such as being "deep" and "conceptual", and living in one's head rather than paying attention to physical surroundings.

I'm not convinced that awareness of multiple meanings or possibilities is necessarily Intuition either.

·
Registered
3,760 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
It's subconscious. It is pretty hard to describe something that you do without knowing you are doing it.
Subconscious or not, it still must be definable. Otherwise anyone could claim to be an intuitive without even understanding what it is. Or the other way around and miss their intuition because no one could define it.

How can you tell you're perceiving through a subconscious function? What is it like to use intuition?

·
Registered
3,330 Posts
From Jung's basic paradigm:

Sensation establishes what is actually present, thinking enables us to recognize its meaning, feeling tells us its value, and intuition points to possibilities as to whence it came and whither it is going in a given situation.

Here is the first part of the definition from Jung:

Intuition

(From intueri = to look into or upon) is, according to my view, a basic psychological function (v. Function). It is that psychological function which transmits perceptions in an unconscious way. Everything, whether outer or inner objects or their associations, Can be the object of this perception. Intuition has this peculiar quality: it is neither sensation, nor feeling, nor intellectual conclusion, although it may appear in any of these forms. Through intuition anyone content is presented as a complete whole, without our being able to explain or discover in what way this content has been arrived at. Intuition is a kind of instinctive apprehension, irrespective of the nature of its contents. Like sensation (q.v.) it is an irrational (q.v.) perceptive function. Its contents, like those of sensation, have the character of being given, in contrast to the 'derived' or 'deduced' character of feeling and thinking contents. Intuitive cognition, therefore, possesses an intrinsic character of certainty and conviction which enabled Spinoza to uphold the 'scientia intuitiva' as the highest form of cognition.[61] Intuition has this quality in common with sensation, whose physical foundation is the ground and origin of its certitude. In the same way, the certainty of intuition depends upon a definite psychic matter of fact, of whose origin and state of readiness, however, the subject was quite unconscious.
For the full definition, follow this link.

Some points:
- It is perception via the unconscious
- It's not sensation, feeling, or thinking, but can appear in those forms
- Content is presented as a complete whole and without knowing how it was arrived at
- Intuition is a kind of instinctive apprehension
- Intuitive contents have the character of being "given" rather than derived

·
Registered
3,376 Posts
Subconscious connection of pieces to form a conscious whole.

·
Registered
3,760 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 · (Edited)
@PaladinX

Based on Jung's definition, the things generally associated with Ne are not necessarily Intuition in all cases. Things such as generating ideas, recognizing possibilities, and reconciling different perspectives. None of those things are necessarily derived from the subconscious, nor must they involve a focus on where things came from or where they are going.

Would I be correct in deciding that what seems like Ne cannot actually be Intuition unless it also fits Jung's definition?

·
Registered
4,928 Posts
It feels like being in a dark mailroom having letters handed down to you from nowhere(wondering who is sending you all these letters with smiley faces and anthrax).

·
Registered
3,760 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
It feels like being in a dark mailroom having letters handed down to you from nowhere(wondering who is sending you all these letters with smiley faces and anthrax).
I never get any mail. The only way I could get any is if I wrote it myself, but then it would just be made up, random, and meaningless. This is why I've been leaning toward Sensing.

·
Host
ENTP 5w6 So/Sx 584 ILE Honorary INTJ VLFE
21,000 Posts
Subconscious or not, it still must be definable. Otherwise anyone could claim to be an intuitive without even understanding what it is. Or the other way around and miss their intuition because no one could define it.

How can you tell you're perceiving through a subconscious function? What is it like to use intuition?
I'm trying to imagine what it must look like to a non-intuitive: Like a series of random disconnected ideas that seem to come out of nowhere. Some of them are more fully formed than others. Some of them require more refinement. Everything in my head is somehow interconnected like a "web." There's words, images, symbols, numbers, and codes, all held together by various threads. It's sort of instinctual. You trust your guesses (because they are usually right). Brainstorming. Letting ideas bubble up and grabbing them as they surface. Not caring so much about context right away. Ideas come first, meaning comes later.

·
Registered
4,928 Posts
One weird disconnect about intuition is that you can guide the analogies your brain makes, and when you think about the process it doesn't seem like you should be able to claim that they are "yours" in the sense of your having created them, but the actual experience is intensely purposeful and it's easy to own your ideas.

·
Registered
4,095 Posts
Like any type, you're taking in a large amount of information from the world around you, except (unlike other types), you're not really aware of all this information in concrete terms, but instead you (subconsciously) extract ideas and patterns from all that information, and those ideas are patterns are what you're aware of consciously.

That's what intuition IS-- As far as the difference between Ne and Ni, that's something more complicated......I think the main difference might be that Ne is expansive, (always including new ideas as they come up), whereas Ni is reductionist (trying to organize and pin down ideas, simplifying them down to their core).
@Silveresque-- you're describing characteristics of Intuition, rather than what it really IS, and so yes of course, those characteristics dont necessarily have to always go along with Intuition, but they're likely to.

·
Registered
74 Posts
Intuition is connecting one or many ideas from the initial idea to form a new or existing idea. I used the term 'idea' because that may help in understanding the concept of Intuition better and I dont really know what else to put in besides that.. And yeah there are two types of Intuition, Extraverted Intution (Ne) and Introverted Intuition (Ni), which most people confuse a lot, but its simple because its already in my definition of Intuition and you just have to add the words objective and subjective respectively.

To make it clear, Ne i.e Extraverted Intuition connects an objective idea with one or many objective ideas to form a objective conclusion of the idea whereas Ni i.e Introverted Intuition connects ones subjective idea with one or many subjective ideas to form a subjective conclusion of the idea.

The point of confusion arises for all regarding which function views many possibilities. The answer is Ni, because Ni just gets unlimited amount of possibilites than Ne, however it may not even be close to accurate for the particular task in hand. However Ne views more possibilities inside a particular task and is more accurate. Therefore, once the task in hand gets completed Ne searches for more tasks to find more possibilities regarding the particular task since that gives them energy and thus Ne-doms are extroverted. Whereas Ni-doms can just sit in one place and gain energy by viewing all the possibilites which may or may not be right and so they are Introverted.

Hopefully you can understand the clear difference.. :)

·
Registered
153 Posts
This post is a good example of intuition, especially Ne, as it demonstrates the perception of the conceptual similarity, between aparently very different things.

·
Registered
489 Posts
Intuition is the action of associating something with another, to predict the result.

The teacher walks in without saying Hi to anyone.
Intuitive person thinks: "Oh great, she's gonna waste time telling us how bad her life is, instead of teaching."
Everyone else *hasnt picked up on this*
Teacher: "Class, my dog Ruffles died this morning. I'd like to hear your stories of sadness and then I'll tell you more of my own for the next hour."

In math:
A+b=c

Intuitive person: "Got it. I see the pattern. Let's learn the next thing."
The rest of the class: "Wait I don't understand. Can you give us 50 more examples?"

·
Registered
489 Posts
A teacher places a toy on a table.

Intuitive thinks: Any uses that toy can have? Use it as a weapon? Paint it and turn it into something else? Any funny stories I can connect to that toy? *Then turns off the voice in their mind and lets a dreamlike imaginative process occur at light speed.* comes up with a story or alternate use, and waits to hear the teacher's explanation.

Non intuitives think: *thinks* There's a toy. I played with one of those when I was a kid."

1 - 17 of 17 Posts