Personality Cafe banner

1 - 20 of 57 Posts

·
Registered
243 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I swear I saw a thread for this before, but I can't find it.
People who I see as "ignorant" REALLY piss me off, maybe a little understanding would help?

·
Registered
243 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Just ignorance generalized. For example I have a friend Lyndsi. Lyndsi is pretty damn ignorant imo. She's not very "observant", like she doesn't realize how she's ditched all her friends for her new boyfriend, she doesn't realize when people think her ideas are stupid (they often are lol, no offense to her tho). She and her boyfriend persistently denied that they were "together" in the months before they were finally "official" even though they would make out in front of everyone (like how would we not see).

Another type of ignorance I see in a kid I know (well he's not a kid, more like a 22 yr old low life) with NPD. Also, I fail to see how people don't pick up on his disorder right away. I knew from the second time I hung out with him something was wrong. How do people not see that his behaviors are not normal at all.

And since you bring it up, I realize there are so many types of perceived ignorance and I would write about it all day. Actually writing about it is helping me figure it out, but I still would like to hear what others have to say

·
Registered
72 Posts
INTJs. Just. INTJs. Once they have an answer, they stick to it like glue, even when it is absolutely disproven, they stick to it.

So, other than picking on INTJs, because they aren't all bad people, the general trait of closed-mindedness drives me nuts. And certainty in issues of politics and religion. Atheists (of the Richard Dawkins variety) and fundamentalists alike are obnoxious.

·
Registered
2,290 Posts
INTJs. Just. INTJs. Once they have an answer, they stick to it like glue, even when it is absolutely disproven, they stick to it.
Heeeey....I like INTJs. (Okay, "like" is a weak word for it.) They have balls. Intellectual balls. And they're the only ones who can challenge me in an argument or match me in a discussion. Granted, if I met a stupid one, it probably wouldn't go over so well, but the ones I know are damn smart -- among the only people I'd readily consider intellectual equals, really.

·
Registered
691 Posts
Heeeey....I like INTJs. (Okay, "like" is a weak word for it.) They have balls. Intellectual balls. And they're the only ones who can challenge me in an argument or match me in a discussion. Granted, if I met a stupid one, it probably wouldn't go over so well, but the ones I know are damn smart -- among the only people I'd readily consider intellectual equals, really.
I'm your huckleberry.

·
Registered
691 Posts
Just ignorance generalized. For example I have a friend Lyndsi. Lyndsi is pretty damn ignorant imo. She's not very "observant", like she doesn't realize how she's ditched all her friends for her new boyfriend, she doesn't realize when people think her ideas are stupid (they often are lol, no offense to her tho). She and her boyfriend persistently denied that they were "together" in the months before they were finally "official" even though they would make out in front of everyone (like how would we not see).

Another type of ignorance I see in a kid I know (well he's not a kid, more like a 22 yr old low life) with NPD. Also, I fail to see how people don't pick up on his disorder right away. I knew from the second time I hung out with him something was wrong. How do people not see that his behaviors are not normal at all.

And since you bring it up, I realize there are so many types of perceived ignorance and I would write about it all day. Actually writing about it is helping me figure it out, but I still would like to hear what others have to say
You should keep in mind you look like an idiot yourself sometimes. Not here, but in life I'm sure.

·
Registered
297 Posts
Ignorant people don't piss me off: it isn't always their fault.
People who refuse to learn piss me off.
This, definitely this. People saying "I can't get a good job because I don't an university degree"... and my country, high school is obligatory and university is free.

·
Registered
1,085 Posts
This, definitely this. People saying "I can't get a good job because I don't an university degree"... and my country, high school is obligatory and university is free.
Why does this bother you? It's merely a matter of opinion on cultural differences in terms of the importance of education and its correlation with economic spending.

·
Registered
3,191 Posts
Ignorance is always fine, I understand not knowing things. Dullness is annoying, but forgivable (S types give me this sometimes).

Lack of any curiosity in any topic is where I start to use ignorant in the sense of stupid.

As an entp, though, competence is important. if you don't have faith in someone's competence, it's hard to get over that. Avoidance is a possibility, but better is probably acceptance that not everyone will feel like they're at you level.

·
Registered
1,085 Posts
What is acceptance when it lacks humility? An irritant is something which negatively affects you. Faith isn't necessarily involved in acceptance, either. Love for the self includes peace from toxic views of others.

Basically, there are no levels. And understand that many people may disagree with you on the fact that there should be.

What "level" does one consider his or herself to be on, anyway? Are we speaking of faithless enlightenment?

·
Registered
3,191 Posts
What is acceptance when it lacks humility? An irritant is something which negatively affects you. Faith isn't necessarily involved in acceptance, either. Love for the self includes peace from toxic views of others.

Basically, there are no levels. And understand that many people may disagree with you on the fact that there should be.

What "level" does one consider his or herself to be on, anyway? Are we speaking of faithless enlightenment?
You bring up a good set of points here. When talking about people who annoy us, it's hard not to sound superior, or the very least, overly vain (as I did). I don't think most of us are able to get past that, which is why I tend to feel it's important to acknowledge that someone's gotten under our skin so we can calibrate the why's of our feelings, as opposed to simply disrespecting them, and not thinking about it further.

·
Registered
6,898 Posts
No problem with ignorance. Being aware of one's own ignorance is a knowledge resulting from intelligence. Confusing ignorance and stupidity is an ignorance resulting from stupidity. Though I don't care about others stupidity as long as they're stupid enough to not believe that they're intelligent.

·
Registered
1,214 Posts
As others have said it's not ignorance that annoys me, it's failure to learn. When people fail to learn from mistakes it makes me just want to hit them across the back of their forehead with a clue-by-four! I'm perfectly comfortable in admitting my ignorance in a matter, it's far better in my book than to pretend to be knowledgeable of something which you're not. Hell, sometimes I make it a point to be intentionally ignorant of things. Plausible deniability can be a powerful tool, the trick is in knowing when it's better to become knowledgeable of the facts and when it's better to stay ignorant of them.

·
Registered
67 Posts

So, other than picking on INTJs, because they aren't all bad people, the general trait of closed-mindedness drives me nuts. And certainty in issues of politics and religion. Atheists (of the Richard Dawkins variety) and fundamentalists alike are obnoxious.
That's a bit of a generalization. If I am proven wrong I'll force myself to admit it, but it takes a lot to thoroughly convince me.

Ignorance bothers me, but at the same time I understand that real, honest-to-god ignorance really can't be blamed on the individual because, by definition, ignorance is not realizing what you don't know. Can you really blame Plato's cave people for not knowing what they're missing out on? What bugs me isn't true, pure ignorance. It's the type of ignorance where people realize they don't know and then are content to leave it at that, which is what I think most people are really talking about. Using Plato's cave analogy, it's like the aforementioned cave people being released from their chains and told that there is a world outside of the cave, and them deciding to stay in the cave and watch the shadows instead.

1 - 20 of 57 Posts