Personality Cafe banner

What is love?

Tags
love
886 views 9 replies 7 participants last post by  Muriel 
#1 ·
Everyone seems to have an opinion about what love is.
How do you actually know? True or otherwise? What is love?
And don't you dare say What is love? baby don't hurt me no more hahahaha

#10 · (Edited)
Everyone seems to have an opinion about what love is.
How do you actually know? True or otherwise? What is love?
And don't you dare say What is love? baby don't hurt me no more hahahaha
Pure love has little if anything to do with others. It is a choice we make. We might not like some of what they say or do however we choose to love them, such as a parent of a child who misbehaves.
I know I still love my husband despite being apart for many years because I want what is best for him. It was toxic for me to live with him. Yes, I did and continue to want him to change. Now, I know it is his decision, not mine. I'm responsible for myself only.
There is a saying that men play at love in order to have sex; women play at sex in order to feel loved. Generally speaking - not true for everyone - this does hold a warning. We can only really enjoy intimacy within a loving relationship where each partner is committed to the other long-term. Anything else tends to be dissatisfying, shallow and merely in the moment.
Please remember that there are several layers or kinds of love. I've already alluded to parental. Then friendship which can be acquaintance to best forever. Also as intimated above, a lifestyle perspective of how we view all people. Family love, whether biological, by choice or adoption. Romantic. Spousal. Highest of all is the divine agape.
You ask how you know - check within. If there is a rush of feelings, especially when meeting people at first, probably more interest, like, infatuation. Think of a hard scenario - would you want to help, be with them or prefer to depart? Do you want their success, to stand by them, regardless?
It is useful to discuss with trusted people to get a wider, deeper, understanding.
A caveat: please note that when we are vulnerable/fragile or emotionally hurting, and/or they are manipulative, abusive, etc, the situation alters. This is when it is crucial to step back, even seek professional guidance. The earlier in the potential relationship this is done, the easier it will be to remain objective - and to move on, if necessary.
Wishing you very well in all respects.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.