Personality Cafe banner
1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
233 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have trouble trying to figure out my friend's type. He seems to have 'multiple personality' but at the same time, he looks like one. I keep telling him to be honest when taking the test, but both time he got an INTJ. I try to type him myself using my knowledge from MBTI, and I think he is more like ESFP, but shy and awkward.

See, he is my partner in a group. He has been following my every single project as an artist, and I feel the need to understand him more because that would be beneficial to our relationship in the future.

So here's some point of what I see of him:

• He doesn't really like to go to party he says, but he seems pretty okay when he comes with me to a party/shopping. He doesn't seem to be awkward at all and are pretty outgoing too.
  • He likes to buy tons of books from a book fair and read it everyday. He is very obsessed with books.
  • He always talks about everything and anything. He would talk about his favourite Youtube commentator and about how funny it is without me triggering his topic. He can talk to anyone on the same table freely without feeling awkward or need to back off. He would continue his talking until the time is up. This actually made me think he is Extroverted.
  • He said he is Introverted all the time, but from my perspective, I think he is just shy and awkward, nothing more. He is the loudest when he tries to make his point about some random topics.
  • He likes to wear black and white, well sometimes more than one colour, but he doesn't really like bright colours like red, yellow or blue. I wear different colour shirts though. He sounds like someone from NT here.
  • He doesn't show much of his emotions through, but at the same time, his face is kind of expressive. He will show his funny face when he is trying to mock about something stupid. He will look disgusted when he thinks something is ridiculous or disgusting. But, most of the time, he stays on the same expression... stress, thinking, relaxing etc. He never cried in front of me, except he says that he cried for a death character in an anime. Not sure if that is even true or not, he is not that kind of guy that cries easily. So, he isn't that much of extroverted feeler.
  • He likes to watch anime, read books and go on internet. He doesn't like to go out by himself unless if he follows his family or his friends asked him out. He is always busy with his tuition and homework all the time. Sounds like an introvert, but I guess extroverts do like to stay alone sometimes like me, right?
  • He is very worried about examination and all of his teachers. Now, I do have a very strict teacher, so does he, but I am not worried about my teacher at all. I tend to rebel a bit and do some pranks.
  • Before I persuaded him to join my group when we were 14 years old, he is kind of an emo like from ISFP. He constantly cuts himself and feel like he wanted to jump off a building. He stopped thinking so after I trained him to be more rational. This makes me think he could be anywhere from SF right now.
  • He wants to be a writer, and constantly making new stories up and he would tell me his ideas everytime. But most likely his story is going to be post-apocalypse or war. All of his stories only evolve around the same theme. Oh right, not to mention that his dreams are always going to be post-apocalypse too. He never like to jump out of his tiny box to think about some big stories, such as space exploration and then the mission is to save the whole universe etc (one of my original story). He is very detailed about his story, he can explain why a rock can breath in his world and the backstory of every single characters in the first draft of his story. I can't do that much of detail in my first draft and I usually will go for the ending first, middle second and finally the intro (reversed story making) and most of them are going to be a major plot firstly. He sounds a bit like Sensing to me.
  • He do listen to my theories though, but he is not that good in making up theories. For example, I explains to him about something and then I stopped and asked him what did he make up of it. He didn't even think long or even made an effort to think, he just say "I don't know, you tell me". He is constantly absorbing my ideas and theories, and only speaks when he doesn't know something or felt like something is missing. This kind of looks like Introverted Thinking. He is a very good listener.
  • He also have his own theory, but most of the time, I know it is just some very simple theory or simple mindset that he made it up on his own while he is thinking alone. I never took any consideration for his advices or theories, and I would tell him my own side of theory, which is always better than his simple theory. Since he does absorb theories, he became better next time.
  • He doesn't like conflict. Whenever he sees me engaged in a debate, he tries to calm us down and he thinks its like a argument or something. Yes it does, it is very intense, but I didn't notice how intense it is until I reflected about it later on. He tries to advice both party, me and the other guy, but I never took any of his advice seriously and I would advice him not to give me any advice, I know that it will not go wrong. He always have this terrible mindset that I would lose a lot of friends if I keep on debating and arguing like this. He's like the world's most terrible advisor to me. Sounds like an ESFP to me.
  • Whenever he got into an argument, he suddenly became terribly dislike about someone. He would criticize about that guy all day and he will say that he will not help him forever. He is very closed-minded once he is very angry or stressed. I tried to tell him that it will be okay after the next day, but he still thinks that he will unfriend him. The next day they are fine again. By the way, he has been in argument with that one dude for more than countless times and yes, he still befriends him until now. When I dislike about someone, I usually won't look back to improve the relationship, so it will take time for our relationship to recover though. So, he sounds like an ESFP to me too.
  • Whenever we are on a game project, and he shares his screen to me so that I can see how he draws the character, while he is drawing halfway through, he felt the need to go to Facebook and check out the status, go on 9Gag, chat with someone, or he remembers some random stories on the internet and he will go to that website and tell me about it. It is frustrating to see him completing his work. He seems to be very good in multitasking, opening 4 games at the same time and chat with tons of friends who pops up and ask him something. While I just tries to make him focus after a while when I sense that he has gone too far from focusing on his work. He only works best when the deadline is close though. He sounds like a Perceiver here.
  • When I tell him about the description of ESFP, he says that sounds pretty much like him. But at the same time, he said he think he is more Introverted, thinking more of the future, more rational, and he does follow schedules and plan well. But I think it is just his 'desires', not really who he is himself. I kept on telling not to think who you want to be, but rather did you do any of these before. He said he did, and not quite sure. He took the MBTI again (he took it two times already) after I have explained to him everything I see of him, and he still gets a very strong percentage of INTJ (first result also INTJ). In my opinion, he might be faking his own personality, but didn't realise he is faking it.

So what do you guys think? I have been trying to type this dude for about a month now, still in the suspect mode that he is an ESFP, just more shy and awkward. Thanks in advanced!

·
Registered
453 Posts
This seems rather confusing to me. Part of me wants to say that he is an FJ type, but I am not sure. Just because someone is an introvert does not mean that they can't enjoy social interaction. Just based on the fact that he does not seek out social interaction unless he is invited by family or friends tells me that he only feels obligated by his feelings to involve himself in social settings. However, Feeling types, especially FJs, can come off as extroverts due to their ability to "fit in" with the crowd. This is because of their Extroverted Feeling function which works wonders in their relationships with people once the function is put to good use.

I would check out the descriptions for ISFJ and INFJ and see what you think of them. Remember, their cognitive functions are the following:

ISFJ: Si - Fe - Ti - Ne
INFJ: Ni - Fe - Ti - Se

As you can tell, they have the same pairing for their auxiliary and tertiary functions. However, they both have very different forms of communication. The ISFJ will communicate in a much more literal, detailed, and direct fashion (Si) whilst the INFJ will communicate with figurative language weaved with generalizations (Ni). Hope that helps.

Reactions: Nikorasu Chan

·
Registered
233 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Thanks,

I think if he is more to ISFJ in this case, however, I would suggest him to look through all 16 personalities and see which one suits him.

Apparently, as his close friend, I don't even know much about him, he is pretty secretive at times...

1 - 3 of 3 Posts