Personality Cafe banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
1. Is there anything that may affect the way you answer the questions? For example, a stressful time, mental illness, medications, special life circumstances? Other useful information includes sex, age, and current state of mind.

Hello everyone! My name's John and I'm 25 years old male studying comparative literature at my local colledge. That may seem redundant but allow me to explain.Before I even start discussing I'd like to thank you all for showing interest in reading my questionnaire, let alone answering it.

I've come to discover typology due to literature having wide array of topics, with psychology often included, and having curiosity that's easily intrigued I've decided to spend my free time researching various psychological phenomena, typology being my favorite. For me, the process of making this questionnaire, and to be honest the sheer idea of sharing my thoughts has been kind of difficult, which I hope you'll understand once I tell you that I'm not an native English speaker and that most of the time I spend my time on recieving end. Nevertheless, this has been an extremely enjoyable experience and I hope that we'll get along.

When it comes to my psychical state I'd vouch for it being quite bad recently. But here's the thing. I have this thingy called hypohondria, which is a crappy thing that's for sure. We have a sort of agreement between us - it's a no-touch relationship. We just look at eachother. It may seem like I'm on thin ice discussing my state, but as long as I don't point my finger at 'I have that and that' it's fine. Which means I won't be going into any more details. If you think it's relevant then I'll do it.

2. What type(s) do you usually score as on tests?

I don't think that I got anything except INTP with T/F disambiguation being most blurry. There has been a quite some time since I did one of those. I didn't really find them most reliable. During the time I may have forgotten some of results but I don't think it's that important, which is probably why I had forgotten them in a first place. You have a start, now it's time to get those ideas bouncing :)

3. Click on this link:flickr

Can't make it to work right now, will probably do it tommorow

4. You are on the clock to fix something, a friend of yours sits beside you and gives a lot of interesting ideas, none of them actually help or are related to your situation, but they are still something you find interesting. What is your reaction? What do you say? What do you do? What's your train of thought?

Jeesh easy with those questions, this ain't no Bible discussion class :). If his ideas are that of a bouncy type and they get my attention there's no way I'm going to keep on working. And that is not even conscious decision.
What I often see in myself is that I can be hard to get pushed into talking. In that sense I'm a definite introvert, keeping to myself, spending a whole day trying to define things normal people take for something that just is. And that's alright. But for me, when it comes to thought process, it can be a simple word, action or a concept that'll get me in nerdy mode in which I'll spend a whole day trying to define it and make it as a piece of a whole, a piece of something I like to call mental integrity.

But the thing is, time spent at college has changed my extraverted behaviour significantly. What I've seen here is that there's no such thing as objective linear chain of past experiences in speech. You see, it's more of objective speech of things outside of every aspect of time. It's just there, a conceptual idea floating in space. And that's what I like. Those are the ideas that I'll always have time for, knowing that they offer a possibility and whether it will happen or not is not that relevant at all. Reality is a loose term and completely subjective as far as I'm concerned.

5a. What are some of your most important values?

When I was a kid, I was an obedient one and one that would be every parents' dream I was told. Solving puzzles, playing games, hell I was an imaginary fairy child. The problem was that I certainly was an aloof child, not really paying atention anyways which everyone took as my agreement with their beliefs. That's something that has caused me a significant problem once I became an adult, having just finished highschool only to find myself in real world that made me to utilize every aspect of myself that until then was completely unused. It was a tough situation which is hard for me to explain, as it was hard for me then and sometimes still is. I thought that I may just let it go, that over time the problem would just hang itself and then I'll be done with it. Surprise, surprise.

I think you're all probably wondering now what the hell I'm talking about . I admit, I rambled a bit too long, but it was the only way that could actually allow me to express my favourite value. Anyways, once I became an adult I saw a huge diviation between what I feel that is right and what I was taught as a child. My parents were great people although completely down to earth and heavily Fe inclined which showed in their approach to raising myself. Now with years that have come to pass, I realized something. My childhood was great and every scene that I remembered made me feel warm and yet, still I had a completely different approach and I believe I'm right. That was a huge problem at first, being stuck in a past and in a loop of continuous self-doubt, but you know, I don't regret a single thing as it led me to my biggest discovery. It showed me that past is not just past but a great way
to come up with great ideas. And that's my greatest value. If i was feeling poetic I'd say see behind what was and instead envision what could be.

5b. Can they change? What would be the reason if they changed?

Haha yes, that's funny actually. I'm a man of contradictions, which I despise but in some way it gets me to right result eventually. I can internally make a complex map of ideas centered around value and then I can throw entire world in it if I want and not give a crap. But then one day I'll have a completely different idea, sometimes just an add-on and sometimes completely different one. And then I can throw entire world in it as well and not give a crap again. I don't really get it but eventually it gets me to the goal so yeah, I don't know.

6. You are in a car with some other people, the people in the car are talking. Someone makes a claim that you see as immoral/rude/cruel. What is your inward reaction? What do you think? What do you say?

This actually poses a good question. Morality is a thing that I often think about but rarely I get to any conclusion and even then I'm not completely sure. I know one thing, and that is that morality as society views it changes
according to trends and that is not something I agree with. Just look how it was some hundred years ago and how it is now. Certainly, that is a more practical aspect of morality, but still says something about how morality today is a rubber form and that is wrong for me. The pattern of morality being so easily manipulated by hands of 'strong' is an absolute rubbish. Sorry, it's hard for me not to share some opinions :). It's just calling me :) I like Kantian approach, but it still has flaws. And still, at the other times I can be a complete nihilist and people really don't like that. Movability of perspective has its charms but also flaws as well.

But right, let's put that into action. :) Eh, I would react if it was something serious or otherwise I wouldn't bother that much. I think that rule ' Do what you'd like that others could do to you' (Yes, terrible way of saying, 0/10 wouldn't read again, I know so beat it :) ) is a really great one. But if it reaches a certain threshoold then I would react, using irony as my main tool ( stupid philosophy again :) ) and if the person is not to stupid I think he would see flaws in his thinking. If not, I'm open for debate so whatever... :)

7. a) What activities energizes you the most? Why?

As you could tell by now I like literature a lot. I'm also a huge video games nerd (xoxo). I also studied psychology, sociology, have recently started with humanism and writing and am a huge chess fan. I also find physics and chemistry interesting, something that I didn't before. I think it was school system's fault but don't let me get started on that. I also like to browse through old photos and relive every single moment. I can almost feel like I felt that very day. It's great and it's something new!

7. b) What activities drains you the most? Why?

I'm drained when placed in a room with people that expect from me to talk about my experiences. That's an awful situation to be in. I'm a total recluse when it comes to that, stranger even to my family. I'm also veryveryvery drained by driving car, don't know why and how, but it's really hard to focus. Kinda random, but it popped into my head. Being externally emotive doesn't really suit me as well. And physical contact.

8. Do you believe you are introverted or extraverted? Why do you believe that? (Please be as detailed as possible)

See number three

9. Please describe yourself, what do you see as your greatest strengths and what do you see as your greatest weaknesses?

People sometimes tell me you know that I have that coldness of a little child. Playful, imaginative and everything but still cold and insensitive. Which is kind of weird if you ask me. I often allow the emotions of others to influence me but I guess it all seems like a rational thought. Just a guess, I'm not sure. And you know that crazy thing on your wall, that never stops, and seems to be more valuable the more you think about it? I'm talking about time of course and managing it is a living hell.

10. Please describe yourself when you are feeling stressed. How do you act and why? Real life experiences are welcome.

I get emotional breakdowns, seriously, it's hard to be around me at that time. I usually try to view the situation objectively, distancing myself if necessary but at that time that doesn't happen. I blame everyone for my trouble, all those kids that stole my shoes, all the people that criticized me before, I say to hell with them. And then when I finally got it together and want to say something I remember that one time when I said something simmilar and that guy just laughed and grinned. And then it goes again. Sometimes it makes me to rethink of everything. Before that I might be like to hell with his opinion just because he does things that I don't like and then I don't even want to talk with him anymore. But with past repeating itself, that makes you wonder and it's a painful situation to be in

14. Anything beyond what has been discussed that you would like to add?

At first I wanted to do all of these questions and it seemed like a right thing to do at that time. And latter on, somewhere during the process I found that I'm just tired. If I'd thought of that before maybe I'd leave it for tommorow and then try do to it completely. But before writing anything, it seemed like I might have enough free time to do it. I hope it will still be enough for you. I've been kind of short with free time lately so hopefuly the information will be enough. Before writting all of this I was kind of wondering, what's the purpose? It was like one of those situations that just attract you, leaving no questions behind. And that's fine I guess, it can only serve me for good. So I hope I didn't bore ya :tongue:, somewhere along the way I just forgot to make it clean and simple like I originally wanted. So yeah, hope to hear from you.

I'd also like to make a special mentions, I hope you don't find it to rude, and maybe some of you will find some time to analyze this: @Acerbusvenator @arkigos @LiquidLight @ephemereality

·
Registered
276 Posts
It's honestly hard to say because your personality is very dynamic, meaning that you can look at it from many different angles, based on the way you write, you probably won't fit in to MBTI, but if you had to squeeze in I'd probably put you somewhere between an ENTP and INTP or between an INTP and an ENFP

You have a lot of abstract notions and ideas -- I'd say that your dominant functions would be thinking and intuition, because you are thoughtful with intuitive ideas and thought.

Reactions: johncassidy

·
Registered
1,024 Posts
I actually believe that you could be an INTJ. I see quite a bit of myself in you; the one difference being that you can answer questionnaires, which I can't.

"That was a huge problem at first, being stuck in a past and in a loop of continuous self-doubt, but you know, I don't regret a single thing as it led me to my biggest discovery. It showed me that past is not just past but a great way"

I could actually see this being possibly a suggester of Ni.

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Hello and thank you for your replies. I forgot password somewhere along the way and realized just a moment ago that I can easily reset it. When registering I didn't even think a second about that. It was a mechanical thing to do, like ordering a burger or eating a pizza and unfortunately I just forgot it.

I've been quite unexperienced with MBTI and fuctions but I will offer some of my observations I came up with intuitively. When I was starting with typology it seemed really hard to me. It was a system shaped really thourughly and not that easy to beginners. I think that some day ago I even read that Jung said it's impossible to master it in short time and that's just what I thought. At this point though, I think I have some knowledge and that I can use this patterns while observing people around me. And it's easier for me to listen to conversation and say 'yes he's using that function'. Back then, when I was starting, MBTI had no practical value for me and I used it to make interconnections with other theoretical dealings for no real reason at all. I found a wonderful can of worms and that's all and it had a special place in my heart. None of my friends were really into that stuff and still they aren't and we beat around the same bush over and over but that's okay and we have fun and I can still try to reshape system on the go which makes it a great combination. Having typology as a private thing was not something bad. It actually helped me to shape up my own ideas and even add some others. I still think it's a great thing and not that difficult at all, but being one in charge at the beginning and having to put those ideas to test was a challenge and there was no way that I could do the same thing with analyzing conversations as I can do now.

I've understood the most functions but defining Ni and Ne is still a mystery to me. I can easily differentiate Fi and Fe, spot Te, find typical behaviour and so on. I think that my understanding has improved a lot because I created some categories over time which allowed me to organize every thought process. I now have categorized typical responses and thought processess that are in tune with attached functions. I can look behind the surface and see Se's hate for categorizing and so on. I didn't know that in beginning so I had to start somehow. Ne and Ni were most blurry to me. Definitions like 'exploding supernova and black hole' didn't mean much for me as I believe it's hard to visualise other side of coin, and due to having only one function, which by the way comes natural to you and is hard to define because of that, original (maybe?) Jungian definitions didn't do much for me and I had to tackle problem all by myself.

Now I finally come to point where I actually reply to your post. Observation of patterns in my search for understanding system, or maybe I should say reshaping it have have brought me to Ne and Ni. Tell me if this seems right but what I've noticed is that while Ne is concerned with reshaping 'objective' reality, Ni is concerned with reshaping 'subjective one'. As I said before, black hole and supernova system didn't do me much good because I found it hard to see in behaviour of other, but what I have seen is that Ni users, which are mostly SPs I know will often be good at finding a silver lining in every situation and will often say something like 'yeah maybe it's boring but at least we won't have to think much' and Ne users will be more focused on changing situation itself and not their subjective approach. As a Ni user does that seem right to you? So while they'll both be focused into future and things behind the surface it will be point of view that's different. And having that in mind it's hard for me to see any real sign of Ni in myself but I might be wrong.I'd be surprised to see that at least.

·
Registered
276 Posts
Okay so imagine a Tree, imagine the brances of them. Imagine all those branches growing in every directions, and they keep growing, turning in to a net, that keep expanding and expanding and expanding in to the sky until you have something like a spider web which collects information along that big intuitive web and gathers information by expanding. Ne looks at every single possibility, and believes them all to be true or hold relevance at the same time, and then goes further and further with every idea, like the growing branches and nets over existing ideas coming things cross dimensionally, so you've come to the understanding of what bread tastes like through the intuitive ideas what what bread isn't and ideas of eggs, shows, old socks, ideas of eating cardboad, metal, licking the wall, tasting time. Ne looks outside the box, it conceives possibilities endlessly which can be very detached from reality that they can be viewed as insane, and Ne does not stop, oh no, it is like an explosive wave of ideas, and they just keep coming and coming, Ne jumps from one idea to the next to the next to the next, Ne is often chaotic with chaotic organization in the eyes of logical people, but it can be very insightful weaving together truths from the interaction of thoughts juggling many different ideas at once.

Think of Ni dom as a tree with branches too. Imagine a 3d image of the tree and a laser scanner that runs along the tree making it semi transparent and we can look at the shape and texture of inside the tree, looking at the details of it, looking at the shape of the tree, the shape of the veinery system on the leaf. It looks at the vibration of the tree, the pitch of it, everything the tree is and how we can predict other trees will be, how transformations occur, we can come to revelations based on symbolism. Imagine many more shades of the tree being places on top, and we can compare them, and see changes.

To me Ni is looking inward with intuitive reasoning, and Ne is looking outward. I see Ni as analyzing how two swords clash, the way they move, the way they transform energy the way it collides and defining the universe from using that reaction to transform it in to how everything 'should act'. Ne would see the Swords clashing as a representation of some deeper ideas in a realm of possibilites, 'I was thinking about the interdimensional robots running out of fuel in hyperspace and then i asked them the nature of the universe at that moment the swords clashed between two sparring pirates on tv representing that there is a clash between understanding transmitted inter dimensional information and thus needs to be transcribed in to sharp edges that can pierce the barrier of consciousness to the 3rd dimensional realm' Also 'Time clashes with the human perception and of the mind and the force of pushing against itself is telling me that i am pushing myself against time' You get the picture, Ne is Genius insight and Ni is Genius insanity... Genius insanity is Genius insight. Genius insight is a part of Genius insanity, Genius insanity is a part of Genius insight. Ni dom exists in Ne dom, Ne dom exists in Ni dom. Obviously Intuition cannot be so easily worded because it is a realm which words cannot easily explain, i always think of the intuition as not thought and not feeling, but another form which is like the two in that it converts information but different

·
Registered
18,510 Posts
I have looked through your questionnaire and a few things stand out to me: You seem to be an Ni type and I also think you are an Fe type. A few things that stood out there:

Hello everyone! My name's John and I'm 25 years old male studying comparative literature at my local colledge. That may seem redundant but allow me to explain.Before I even start discussing I'd like to thank you all for showing interest in reading my questionnaire, let alone answering it.
This introduction of yours strikes me as very Fe-informed. You want to thank us beforehand for taking time in reading your questionnaire. Essentially, what you are doing here is extroverting feeling, emphasizing the feeling content of actions, and you are making sure that our actions are equally appreciated, thus again, extroverting feeling emphasizing feeling through action.

Nevertheless, this has been an extremely enjoyable experience and I hope that we'll get along.
Same thing occurs here, placing emphasis on the action of feeling. It's less about actually getting along than it is about the intent about getting along, which from an Fe-perspective, would be read as friendly behavior.

But for me, when it comes to thought process, it can be a simple word, action or a concept that'll get me in nerdy mode in which I'll spend a whole day trying to define it and make it as a piece of a whole, a piece of something I like to call mental integrity.
This is a very good statement and I would say strongly infers to Ni.

You see, it's more of objective speech of things outside of every aspect of time. It's just there, a conceptual idea floating in space. And that's what I like. Those are the ideas that I'll always have time for, knowing that they offer a possibility and whether it will happen or not is not that relevant at all. Reality is a loose term and completely subjective as far as I'm concerned.
Very Ni.
The problem was that I certainly was an aloof child, not really paying atention anyways which everyone took as my agreement with their beliefs.
I find this sentence here very interesting. So you rarely voiced your own personal opinions?

My childhood was great and every scene that I remembered made me feel warm and yet, still I had a completely different approach and I believe I'm right.
This here seems Fe-informed. Objects create emotional content rather than emotional content being the product of one's internal landscape.

I can internally make a complex map of ideas centered around value and then I can throw entire world in it if I want and not give a crap. But then one day I'll have a completely different idea, sometimes just an add-on and sometimes completely different one. And then I can throw entire world in it as well and not give a crap again. I don't really get it but eventually it gets me to the goal so yeah, I don't know.
Would you say that most of your thinking revolves about figuring out the importance of values, what works and what doesn't and so on?

This actually poses a good question. Morality is a thing that I often think about but rarely I get to any conclusion and even then I'm not completely sure. I know one thing, and that is that morality as society views it changes
according to trends and that is not something I agree with. Just look how it was some hundred years ago and how it is now. Certainly, that is a more practical aspect of morality, but still says something about how morality today is a rubber form and that is wrong for me. The pattern of morality being so easily manipulated by hands of 'strong' is an absolute rubbish. Sorry, it's hard for me not to share some opinions :). It's just calling me :) I like Kantian approach, but it still has flaws. And still, at the other times I can be a complete nihilist and people really don't like that. Movability of perspective has its charms but also flaws as well.

But right, let's put that into action. :) Eh, I would react if it was something serious or otherwise I wouldn't bother that much. I think that rule ' Do what you'd like that others could do to you' (Yes, terrible way of saying, 0/10 wouldn't read again, I know so beat it :) ) is a really great one. But if it reaches a certain threshoold then I would react, using irony as my main tool ( stupid philosophy again :) ) and if the person is not to stupid I think he would see flaws in his thinking. If not, I'm open for debate so whatever... :)
I see mostly Fe being the primary logic driving your conclusions here.

I also like to browse through old photos and relive every single moment. I can almost feel like I felt that very day.
Is there any reason why you do this? How would you describe your experiences when you do it?

People sometimes tell me you know that I have that coldness of a little child. Playful, imaginative and everything but still cold and insensitive. Which is kind of weird if you ask me. I often allow the emotions of others to influence me but I guess it all seems like a rational thought.
Very Fe-informed. I think the reason people tell you that you are cold is because those people could be Fi types and they might feel you are trivializing their feelings and experiences through emotive action (and by this I don't mean being openly emotional, necessarily). A recent example I read about this was a person asking about whether the action of patting someone on their back because they felt the of that person inside was Fe or Fi, and the consensus that I agree with is that the action was very Fe-informed.

To Fi types, Fe types can seem very cold and uncaring because they don't place emphasis on the personal experience of feeling as much as they place emphasis on the action of feelings. For example, the action of smiling can be read by the Fe type as an act of friendliness, but to the Fi type, it strictly conveys the meaning of inner emotional content, e.g. happiness.

Do you understand the difference between how Fi and Fe read emotional content?

At first I wanted to do all of these questions and it seemed like a right thing to do at that time. And latter on, somewhere during the process I found that I'm just tired. If I'd thought of that before maybe I'd leave it for tommorow and then try do to it completely. But before writing anything, it seemed like I might have enough free time to do it. I hope it will still be enough for you. I've been kind of short with free time lately so hopefuly the information will be enough. Before writting all of this I was kind of wondering, what's the purpose? It was like one of those situations that just attract you, leaving no questions behind. And that's fine I guess, it can only serve me for good. So I hope I didn't bore ya :tongue:, somewhere along the way I just forgot to make it clean and simple like I originally wanted. So yeah, hope to hear from you.
Yeah, so much Fe here.

I'm inclined to say ENFJ. Feeling, especially in dominant types, can seem very rational, cold and calculating because it is first of all a logical process, not based on feelings themselves. In other words, being a feeler is not the same as being emotional. I experience myself as a very emotional person because when I feel I feel a lot and strongly, but I am not a feeler because the logic of feeling isn't what primarily informs my psyche.

Feeling can can thus be mistaken for thinking by those who don't know how to fully differentiate thinking and feeling in theory. People forget that thinking isn't just about logic, but thinking specifically deals with logical categorization. If people do not categorize in their reasoning process as in, defining things from an impersonal perspective, they are likely to not be thinkers.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts