Personality Cafe banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
393 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
My Fellow ENTPs!

What is Ne to you??

What is it that you experience when you are Ne'ing (if there is such a word :laughing:)

Appreciate thy responses!

·
Registered
3,228 Posts
It's the way I think, and as such it can be difficult to step back and define it. I guess the short answer is that it is looking for the whole picture, synthesising information. Give me a fact and I have to think of a whole thing with that fact as part of it. Then give me another fact that doesn't quite fit, and I discard the first whole thing and make a second one with both bits in it. Actually I'm not sure if that is Ne alone, or Ne-Ti.

Another way to look at it, when the brain is in idle mode, is like leaping on stepping stones in the void. Only you jump for a stone, and only when you land, do the next available stones become visible. Then you see all the possibilities and jump for your chosen one, and immediately a whole new set of stones appears, and you keep on jumpig......

·
Registered
393 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
It's the way I think, and as such it can be difficult to step back and define it. I guess the short answer is that it is looking for the whole picture, synthesising information. Give me a fact and I have to think of a whole thing with that fact as part of it. Then give me another fact that doesn't quite fit, and I discard the first whole thing and make a second one with both bits in it. Actually I'm not sure if that is Ne alone, or Ne-Ti.

Another way to look at it, when the brain is in idle mode, is like leaping on stepping stones in the void. Only you jump for a stone, and only when you land, do the next available stones become visible. Then you see all the possibilities and jump for your chosen one, and immediately a whole new set of stones appears, and you keep on jumpig......
That's a great explanation. Can I say that it's not a very deep understanding and you tend not to focus too much on things?

Also do you tend to use it to make jokes often? I always see ENTP guys are very funny

This is different from Ni. Being an ENTJ, I use Ni often where I peg a view and look at all angles. It gets me in a habit of studying things and when I study i go very deep looking at all possible angles. That's probably why we're the guys who needs to study a lot to pass an exam and you guys just seem to score without studying much.... Then again, I maybe wrong

·
Subterranean Homesick Alien
11,928 Posts
That's probably why we're the guys who needs to study a lot to pass an exam and you guys just seem to score without studying much....
Why exactly do you think ENTPs would be able to pass exams without studying much?

And I wouldn't really say it lacks depth...

·
Registered
3,228 Posts
Ne is not a shallower version of Ni, no. It is neither deeper nor more superficial, but a different kind of understanding.Alternatively, you might say that Ni users see deeper, but Ne users see further. Neither one nor the other is inherently better. The global approach to things allows a quicker grasp of concepts, often. Occasionally that grasp will be missing a vital detail so we'll get it wrong, but that isn't all that common. Ti makes a very good back-up, in that recognising underlying patterns strengthens the Ne impression, allows detail to be painted in from one or two inferences. That is more likely to be the skill that allows one to ace the exam on not very much work: Ti is a very useful thing indeed.....

The nature of humour is often surprise, the synthesis of something not previously noticed into an unexpected understanding. Ne lends itself to humour, therefore.

·
Registered
393 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Ne is not a shallower version of Ni, no. It is neither deeper nor more superficial, but a different kind of understanding.Alternatively, you might say that Ni users see deeper, but Ne users see further. Neither one nor the other is inherently better. The global approach to things allows a quicker grasp of concepts, often. Occasionally that grasp will be missing a vital detail so we'll get it wrong, but that isn't all that common. Ti makes a very good back-up, in that recognising underlying patterns strengthens the Ne impression, allows detail to be painted in from one or two inferences. That is more likely to be the skill that allows one to ace the exam on not very much work: Ti is a very useful thing indeed.....

The nature of humour is often surprise, the synthesis of something not previously noticed into an unexpected understanding. Ne lends itself to humour, therefore.
The last quote was just awesome

What I don't seem to understand is that; If both (Ni and Ne) is about understanding and thinking, why is Ne associated with going out and meeting people? I.e. Why do you need to go out?

·
Subterranean Homesick Alien
11,928 Posts

·
Registered
2,290 Posts
It's how my mind works. I once said that, if someone could read my mind, it would sound something like being in the stadium during a World Cup soccer game: tons of random chatter -- and lots and lots of vuvuzelas. I can never fully clear my mind, and it feels as though I make endless connections, but none of them are ever quite complete....Basically, I have a head full of possibilities. And damn, is it noisy. All of the time.

A friend of mine, on the other hand, is Ni-dominant (an INTJ, to be exact), and he finds it very easy to clear his mind. He doesn't do his processing consciously; it just happens somewhere in there. He calls his ability to clear his mind "instant yoga," hahaha...but, basically, he feels as though he thinks a lot less than do most people (even though he's very much into philosophy and all that). I feel as though I think a heck of a lot more than the average person.

It's like...on a conscious level, Ne is super fast processing of tons and tons of information, while Ni only processes what it needs rather than sorting through everything and is therefore also quite fast -- just for different reasons.

Kind of interesting.

·
Registered
1,753 Posts
It's the thing that keeps me thinking I'm crazy, f*cked in the head, type thing. It's also the thing that allows me to blow hole through a thought or ideal with a shotgun pattern. That's good way to visualize Ni and Ne, Ni is a sniper rifle, Ne is a bad ass shot gun, that's why we typically need to interact with people, being Ne dominate our attack range is close, our primary weapon is powerful scatter gun. It's also what leads to that description, and my thought/want to compare all functions to weaponry and what will keep me from, You ever notice how O and K together "OK" look like a person sideways? Yeah, I could be Ni dominate, so take it with a grain a salt or pepper, whatever your poison maybe.

·
Registered
1,024 Posts
I like to describe my mind as a web or map of information. Its just a big conglomeration of ideas, facts and statistics plunked all over the place and scattered about. All of those facts, statistics or ideas are either connected somehow, sometimes directly, sometimes in some elaborate fashion, or they are sitting there waiting for a connection to be made as more information is added.

Basically, think word association map on crack because the connections aren't going to make sense to anybody but me unless I explain it.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts