Personality Cafe banner

1 - 20 of 33 Posts

·
Registered
514 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
My brother is an ESFP and he's very fucking annoying and intellectually incapable of much more than putting butter on toast. I think it's possible that I think of him this way just because he's my little brother and not some other sort of acquaintance; but to test it I decided I'd create a thread for other INTPs to write their opinions of ESFPs to see if you guys have a similar distaste.

·
Registered
514 Posts
Discussion Starter #3

·
Registered
729 Posts
My brother's an ESTP ... that's pretty close, right? I don't know any ESFPs ...... kinda glad, too, if my brother's any indication.

·
Registered
4,281 Posts
My brother is an ESFP. I consider him my best friend. He's just a fun-loving dude.

We've had our share of tensions and physical altercations just like any brothers have. He is a guy who you want on your side, and when he was younger, he had quite a problem with impulse control and had a bit of a temper. As he grew older, he became more easy going.

Intellectually, he is someone I can have a conversation with. He did graduate law school. Many of his views are talking points, though, and whenever I try to get too analytical, he resorts back to his talking points. Over the years, he has turned into somewhat of a conservative zealot, so whenever I point out the irrationality of some ideas, he could get a little bit emotional and belligerent. I try to avoid such discussions altogether when in his presence. I don't think he likes to debate with me, either. He will start talking really loudly and not let me speak when I disrupt one of his principles. He understands me considerably, though, and is someone I can always count on. All in all, I think he's a great brother and is someone I like to call up to get a beer with. Sometimes it's good to hang out with someone who just wants to have fun and live in the moment. My brother is someone I can count on to cheer me up.

·
Registered
514 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
My brother is an ESFP. I consider him my best friend. He's just a fun-loving dude.

We've had our share of tensions and physical altercations just like any brothers have. He is a guy who you want on your side, and when he was younger, he had quite a problem with impulse control and had a bit of a temper. As he grew older, he became more easy going.

Intellectually, he is someone I can have a conversation with. He did graduate law school. Many of his views are talking points, though, and whenever I try to get too analytical, he resorts back to his talking points. Over the years, he has turned into somewhat of a conservative zealot, so whenever I point out the irrationality of some ideas, he could get a little bit emotional and belligerent. I try to avoid such discussions altogether when in his presence. I don't think he likes to debate with me, either. He will start talking really loudly and not let me speak when I disrupt one of his principles. He understands me considerably, though, and is someone I can always count on. All in all, I think he's a great brother and is someone I like to call up to get a beer with. Sometimes it's good to hang out with someone who just wants to have fun and live in the moment. My brother is someone I can count on to cheer me up.
Some of the things you said really rang true but others not so much, my brother also had an explosive temper when he was younger. He even got expelled in sixth grade because he spent nearly everyday in the principle's office (due to graffiti, drawing naked people on assignments, cursing at the teacher, fighting, etc.) Also about him not liking to argue with me, I know he despises it. He always feels like reminding me that I argue too much and whenever I start to question his ideas he freaks out. He's also a Mormon nutcase though, so I don't think we'll ever be drinking buddies either. You mention a lot how your brother is really kind hearted, nice, and lovable; I'd like to say that couldn't be more untrue of my brother, he's so vicious and negative all the time. I do enough of that on my own, I don't need reinforcement of it, haha.

·
Banned
5,394 Posts
Two of my cousins are ESFP's. The younger one is probably a little more grown up than the older one but other than that they are pretty cool. My older cousin's worldview doesn't mesh with mine at all and my younger cousin might not understand my worldview but he does accept it. I'm actually quite proud of my younger cousin, he just graduated high school and he has done some impressive maturity growing in the past year:proud:

I know another ESFP and she is pretty cool, she is a single mother. I can tell that she is very Se oriented but that Fi is definitely dominant when it comes to her son. She doesn't seem to be super intellectually inclined but she isn't stupid. In fact none of the 3 ESFP's I know are dumb, but neither are they gifted.

I must also give credit that they do have some pretty impressive traits from their Se such as being observant of their surroundings. Probably the mother is the best at observation, then my younger cousin and finally my older cousin. My older ESFP cousin seems to be trying to find himself though, I think that's what his biggest growth hindrance is.

·
Registered
133 Posts
One of my friends in an ESFP. She can be very fun and random, but the constant energy does get draining at times.
Also, I think my coach was an ESxP. He was definitely an Se-dom, and we disagreed about a lot of things relating to how to look at strategy and what perspectives are useful/not useful.

·
Registered
1,012 Posts
Hahah are they anything like ESFJ? I probably secretly hate them inside then.
I think they are much more tolerable than ESFJs. I have an ESFP friend who is very giddy all the time. She's fun though. She just has a tendency to run up to random men that I have described as "cute" once to give them my phone number. It drives me crazy. Other than that, she's a very thoughtful and kind person.

·
Registered
515 Posts
ESFPs are great in moderation.

My father is an ESFP, and living with him was basically hell for a bunch of reasons (terrible about paying bills, always on his own schedule, grumpy if he isn't drinking or there isn't something exciting going on)

Now that I only see him like once or twice a month, he is much more bearable. They're usually in a good mood as long as they don't feel stuck in a rut, but I dunno if I could live with one again.

·
Registered
1,794 Posts
My dad's ESFP. He's smarter than I am. He's got an IQ of 135~ something. He is an chemical engineer, chartered financial analyst, and a bunch of other stuff.

He's quite the extrovert but also suffers from OCD, Generalized anxiety disorder and depression. It's a weird combination.

·
Registered
39 Posts
I tend to like ESFPs in moderation as well..they're so accepting all the time. And they're great to call on if you feel like getting totally shitfaced and being loud and obnoxious on an inconvenient night.

·
Registered
514 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
My dad's ESFP. He's smarter than I am. He's got an IQ of 135~ something. He is an chemical engineer, chartered financial analyst, and a bunch of other stuff.

He's quite the extrovert but also suffers from OCD, Generalized anxiety disorder and depression. It's a weird combination.
Yes, my brother is quite extroverted as well. He strangely also exhibits OCD, GAD, and depression; just the other day he was telling me how he has to do certain things or he feels that specific people will be raped and/or killed (obviously this pertains to his OCD). On the other hand though, my brother is not very bright, I don't know his IQ but being completely honest, I'd guess it's around 90. About half of my family being made up of NTs could be what makes him seem like he operates on a lower level though.

·
Registered
249 Posts
I've had a few ESFP friends. They're usually really cool people. I just

One of them is actually a friend I've had since childhood. As we've gotten older we've kind of drifted apart, which I attribute to the fact that our personalities and interests are just so different. He seems to require constant stimulation. If he isn't playing sports, partying, smoking weed, etc, then he's complaining about how bored he is. He shows a complete lack of interest in just sitting and having an intelligent conversation, which is what I probably enjoy the most. But I can't really complain since I show a complete lack of interest in all of those things he likes to do. He's still my boy but we just don't really hang out anymore.

There's also this girl I met in one of my classes. She's a really nice person. She seemed to really take an interest in me for some reason. She was amazed at how "mellow" I am. But once again she loved to party and dance and do all this stuff I don't care about so I didn't see us really hanging out either. But we still talk once in a while.

So yeah, I typically get along with ESFPs but I'm not usually interested in engaging in a bunch of activities with them. But they're good people I guess.

·
Registered
142 Posts
At least one of my friends is ESFP, and while she's fun to be around and motivates me to do a lot of cool things, it's always been really obvious to me that we are just different. Like some others have said, it drains me to be around her after a while, while she never seems to run out of energy. We don't share many interests - just enough so we don't bore each other to death - but she's pretty open-minded and we appreciate each other more, probably for all our differences. So I generally have a positive opinion of them. I wouldn't want to, say, live with one, though.

·
Registered
426 Posts
Conversations with ESFPs usually range from shallow to annoying for some reason. However, they have shown to be very intelligent and very much so in control of their life, and have very grounded positions on life (even if they can't explain them to me in any way I would care to hear XD)

·
Registered
5,991 Posts
Why don't we ask all the Helens? They have a much better chance of coming to a consensus.

·
Registered
245 Posts

Just putting this out there, just because he graduated law school does not make him an intellectual capable person. Just my 2 cents.

1 - 20 of 33 Posts