Personality Cafe banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
MOTM May 2011
14,041 Posts
... I am having trouble discerning.
They generally overlap to a great extent. However feelings are broader, depending on context. When asked, "what are you feeling?" we would normally respond with an emotion, such as joy, happiness, sorrow, love, etc. When asked, "How are you feeling?" we tend to respond with a physical state description, such as well, better, ok, sick, etc. We can also describe these feelings to others without a question.

Feelings also cover areas of emotional description that are not really emotions. Statements such as, "feeling the warmth in the room," or "feel the friction in their conversation," talk of feelings and help to describe the situation without really naming an emotion.

HTH

·
MOTM May 2011
14,041 Posts
How are emotions separate from the two feeling functions??
Completely apples and oranges. The feeling functions are simply labels given to differentiate for the purpose of discussion of cognitive functions. IOW, everyone has emotions, but not everyone prefers (or places a lot of emphasis on) Fi or Fe.

·
Banned
160 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Okay, but if everyone experiences their own personal emotions I don't understand where they do or don't fit in with Fe and Fi. I can see how it could be Fi but that wouldn't make sense for Fe users not to have their own personal emotions. They can't always be feeling only what others feel, or can they?

·
Registered
889 Posts
Okay, but if everyone experiences their own personal emotions I don't understand where they do or don't fit in with Fe and Fi. I can see how it could be Fi but that wouldn't make sense for Fe users not to have their own personal emotions. They can't always be feeling only what others feel, or can they?
What makes you think we don't have our own emotions? :mellow:

Of course we have our own emotions, Fe would mean more that we take the emotions of others into consideration before our own.

·
Banned
160 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
What makes you think we don't have our own emotions? :mellow:

Of course we have our own emotions, Fe would mean more that we take the emotions of others into consideration before our own.

I don't think Fe doesn't have emotions. I think they do, which is why I am confused. I thought that Fe was feeling the same emotions as other people and having emotions on an objective level, but apparently it is just taking others' feelings into consideration before your own, as you said?

I am just trying to see where emotions differ from feelings.

·
Registered
1,486 Posts
A feeling is something you sense.
An emotion is a state of energy in your body.

When people's 'values' are being affirmed or negated they have emotions which they feel.
Fi is more concerned with individual values.
Fe is more concerned with global values.

Reactions: MilkyWay132

·
MOTM Jan 2012
6,514 Posts
Are you asking about the semantic difference between emotions or feelings, or are you asking about the difference about emotions and Feeling types?

·
MOTM Dec 2011
8,651 Posts
Feeling in laymen's terms is often associated with emotion. Feeling in MBTI terms is referring to rational thought processes. The irrational functions are actually the perceiving functions because they just "see", they don't reason to reach a conclusion, as the judging functions do. This is why Pe (extroverted perceiving) people often put off making decisions and that sort of thing - they prefer to take in info concerning the external, and their Ji (introverted judging) is more of a conceptual process that things are related to when necessary.

Fe & Fi reason to make decisions, they are not emotion. They may utilize emotion as important signals (which they are), but they can choose to discard them also.

Introverted feeling reasons using criteria of value and significance based on an innate "vision" of what is ideal. This is often why it is is associated with morals, "subjective" realms like art, looking out for the individual, inner harmony, and intrapersonal knowledge - understanding yourself & your own needs.

Extroverted feeling reasons using criteria of value and significance based on external standards; what is generally accepted or concepts of good/bad which can be validated in reality. This is often why it is associated with appropriate social expressions and behavior, cultural protocol, gauging by consensus and results, group harmony, and understanding interpersonal interactions.

There is overlap between the two because of both dealing in realms of good/bad based on value & significance. However, to reiterate the above, Fi uses an internal standard; something like the theoretical models that Ti uses for logic, only it is based on what is "ideal", and this motivates the Fi-dom to work towards finding/creating this ideal in reality. Fe uses an external standard, based on what is viable and leads to results in reality, something like how Te uses externalities to measure what is correct (ie. facts), but Fe seeks to create, maintain and use social standards to promote harmonious relationships.

·
Registered
889 Posts
^^^Educational.

I don't think Fe doesn't have emotions. I think they do, which is why I am confused. I thought that Fe was feeling the same emotions as other people and having emotions on an objective level, but apparently it is just taking others' feelings into consideration before your own, as you said?

I am just trying to see where emotions differ from feelings.
Feelings are expressions of emotions or input from the senses. Example, "I feel happy" and "I feel hot" are both feelings but, only the former comes from an emotion.

·
Banned
160 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
Feeling in laymen's terms is often associated with emotion. Feeling in MBTI terms is referring to rational thought processes. The irrational functions are actually the perceiving functions because they just "see", they don't reason to reach a conclusion, as the judging functions do. This is why Pe (extroverted perceiving) people often put off making decisions and that sort of thing - they prefer to take in info concerning the external, and their Ji (introverted judging) is more of a conceptual process that things are related to when necessary.

Fe & Fi reason to make decisions, they are not emotion. They may utilize emotion as important signals (which they are), but they can choose to discard them also.

Introverted feeling reasons using criteria of value and significance based on an innate "vision" of what is ideal. This is often why it is is associated with morals, "subjective" realms like art, looking out for the individual, inner harmony, and intrapersonal knowledge - understanding yourself & your own needs.

Extroverted feeling reasons using criteria of value and significance based on external standards; what is generally accepted or concepts of good/bad which can be validated in reality. This is often why it is associated with appropriate social expressions and behavior, cultural protocol, gauging by consensus and results, group harmony, and understanding interpersonal interactions.

There is overlap between the two because of both dealing in realms of good/bad based on value & significance. However, to reiterate the above, Fi uses an internal standard; something like the theoretical models that Ti uses for logic, only it is based on what is "ideal", and this motivates the Fi-dom to work towards finding/creating this ideal in reality. Fe uses an external standard, based on what is viable and leads to results in reality, something like how Te uses externalities to measure what is correct (ie. facts), but Fe seeks to create, maintain and use social standards to promote harmonious relationships.

yes, this makes a lot of sense. Thank you.

·
Banned
1,174 Posts
How do you describe something that is inherently self referential?

·
Registered
737 Posts
I would define 'feeling' as more so 'here-and-now' and often physiological. I'd say that 'feeling' is often more easily to identify than an 'emotion', though it may be as confusing!

I would define 'emotion' as something more internalized and not as easily accessible as a 'feeling'. In fact, I don't really understand 'emotion' as much as I'd like.

And we all have both regardless.

1 - 18 of 18 Posts