Personality Cafe banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
2,490 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
To my understanding subconscious is something you value but not good at using it.

Like INFJ in my case.

While unconscious is something you don't value at all but could be quite skilled if paid enough attention.

Is this correct?

·
Grim Reaper
944 Posts
From a psychological standpoint the subconcious is the side of the mind that is not in current focus while the unconcious is something that is not able to be perceived through regular introspection, it is unknown to the self unless it is made conscious by some form of stimulus.
For example, the subconcious could be the looming guilt for a previous action in life that influences a decision. It is something you are aware of but try not to allow to run your life. The unconcious could be a repressed memory that is not accessible because of its traumatic nature. It influences your behavior but is not easily accessed.

In terms of typology it is hard to classify these but we would typically refer to the repressed function as "unconscious."
That said, some would say the four non active functions are unconcious and the repressed function is subconcious. I personally think if the tertiary function as subconcious and the repressed as unconcious. We notice and sometimes struggle with our tertiary function but without direct intervention we often ignore our repressed function and face its consequences unknowingly.

·
Registered
47 Posts
To my understanding subconscious is something you value but not good at using it.

Like INFJ in my case.

While unconscious is something you don't value at all but could be quite skilled if paid enough attention.

Is this correct?
No, not at all. To put it simply Sub(meaning below) is the thoughts you are not aware of but exists and influences your actions. While conscious is the surface thoughts you have which you are aware of. Like if mentally you think "Wow, she smells terrible" but decide not to say it that is your conscious thoughts. If suddenly you have a disgusted feeling when you smell the scent of say for this "Onions" and you have no idea why you have this reaction, there could be a "subconscious" reason you are not aware of. Now your (subconscious) is often more influencing and visible in your dreams. Much of your thought is hidden and a lot of your outward action and reaction can be a result of your under layer thoughts as well as your current visible thoughts. Though I have a feeling you might be talking about "Shadow Functions" which is a bit different.

·
Registered
1,304 Posts
No, not correct.

You probably know about Freud's id, ego and superego.
Id = instincts, devil.
ego = reality, yourself.
superego = morality, angel.
The id is unconscious, the ego is conscious while the superego is both.
If I remember correctly, this theory was debunked long ago.

The conscious mind -> our awareness at the present moment.
We are aware of something on the outside us as well as some specific mental functions happening inside us. For example, we are ware of our environment, our breathing, or the people around us, if any.

The subconscious mind -> our accessible information.
We become aware of such information only when we direct our attention to it. This is like a "memory recall". Quite often, we walk down the street to our homes without consciously needing to be alert to our surroundings. We can easily remember phone numbers that we frequently use without making any special effort.

The unconscious mind -> our instinctual behaviour.
We do not have easy access to the data stored in our unconscious mind, that is made up of the countless memories and experiences we have stored in the memory throughout our lifetime, even though we cannot recall on demand, most of those memories. These are the unconscious beliefs, ideas and reactions to life around us that literally drive our lives, without our knowledge.

Think about it this way:
  • When we are learning how to drive a car, we are driving consciously, every action is a conscious action, like changing gears, applying brakes, turning and so on.
  • After a few years of driving experience, we drive the car subconsciously. The feet are doing their job, the hands theirs, and we are usually relaxed.
It is possible sometimes, that the unconscious evolves into the subconscious, and then end up at the conscious level. Maybe a long-forgotten childhood memory suddenly emerges. Or a feeling of déjà vu when you visit a place for the first time. We need to accept that some unconscious memories need a strong, specific trigger to bring them to consciousness, whereas, a subconscious memory can be brought to consciousness more easily.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts