1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
7,896 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·

What did you see/feel/think of first?
(Include your MBTI if you know it.)

What I saw:

1. "Oh, this looks nice and peacef- waaaaaiiiit a minute..." The window followed immediately by the blood and what appears to be pills on the floor. 2. What I thought was spilled garbage in the street, but was actually light reflecting off the water puddles. 3. The car, and the word "gore" on the side of the building.
Impressions were competing for prominence but desk is a mish-mash of paperwork, gadgets, something red spilled--could be paint, ink, who knows, but not cleaned up.

Trees outside are moving around like the weather is not temperate, looks like fall if it were the U.S. but at that point not sure. L-train (like Chicago) moving, fast, in background, large urban area, too crowded for my liking, suggests glut, crowds, traffic, pollution, too much stimuli, probably expensive to live there.

Tee-vee screen has the equivalent of static, white noise, not tuned to anything. A lot of black, metal, plastic, electronics, only nature is two trees, one outside each window. No person visible. Night coming on. A kind of dark starkness. Maybe someone working late, stepped away from the desk for a minute, or given the red spilled on the laptop, desk blotter, and notepads maybe won't be coming back, staggered outside frame, lying on cold tiles.

Next image: "Spitting snow" as my husband calls it, not yet flurries but cold. Stone or concrete building, no sign of life except snow if that is "lively" enough to some person's mind. Neon, Asian signs. No point in speculating which exact city, but large as first image, what I thought imagery implied.

Last image: Grates immediately made me think of homeless people; reminded me of downtown Cleveland (United States city) in winter, a homeless woman trying, in vain, to warm herself over vapor coming from a grate similar. Graffiti, stripped car, underpass:

Abandonment, lack of community, unsafe.

All three images have a cold, sterile, lifeless, overly-technological-dependent sense to them. I imagine the people who use the gadgets, work in the buildings, live in the city lead isolated, possibly forlorn lives cut-off from each other. High rate of discontent, disease, suicide, other signs of imbalance too hard to shoulder or soldier through: No hope.

Nothing peaceful about the images except possibly the trees in the first one with the leaves not yet having fallen--something alive for whoever works in that room to glance at now and then, maybe have a moment of connection to nature even if it isn't conscious, eased loneliness some--not enough; hardly would be enough.

Scenes of either work without the balance of play or love, or as in the last, devoid of all three--if one doesn't count the work of whoever stripped the car, tagged the buildings, and the L-train--lights ever flashing against buildings.

Commercial district only thing one might call "alive." A city that never sleeps, people I imagine hurrying, always harried... Some maybe seeming to thrive off the electric feeling--temporary thrills; others always aware of some kind of disconnect, no respite.

My type: INFJ.

·
Registered
211 Posts
My first impression was to pull back a bit. I didn't really analyze the 3 pictures but came away with a sense of unease. The darkness with flashing light and empty tv screen. All a bit unsettling. I always enjoy nighttime but the busy emptiness was bothersome
I am an ISFP-Turbulent

·
Registered
7,896 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
@jpl8

So few seemed to pick it up--so used to disconnect maybe. Like you, first feeling was repulsed, then I did what I call "a first pass" and wrote straight out my impression, went back and studied it more closely for the second pass, and noted to myself how unlife-like the supposed 'blood' was because I've seen so much blood outside bodies and on surfaces--looks nothing so 'neat' as that nor as red, which is why I first tossed it off as paint or ink. Second pass is when I figured it was meant to be blood because along with the abandoned cars and the rest, blood would fit the scene.

·
Registered
211 Posts
I see what you are saying about a second pass. The pictures certainly have a lot going on in them. I was thinking you were only desiring a quick first impression. Then wanted personality type to get a feel for different reactions among different types I enjoy your postings. Thought provoking :happy:

1 - 4 of 4 Posts