Personality Cafe banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
51 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello!

Since five minutes ago I was sure Si was the function responsible for recalling information and nostalgia, but I've read that Jung's description of Si is totally different. So, what is the function responsible for recalling information and nostalgia effect?
OBS: post your source(Jung, Mayers, Keirsey(not quite sure if he wrote about this), your own interpretation...)
OBS2: don't use socionics -- I don't have a type in socionics. I fit with both with INTj/INTp in almost everything and in two there are things WAY to distant from what I think/act. In addition, the functions never present (on me/people close to me) the way the say.

·
Registered
227 Posts
I don't know but what source do you read that Jung's description of Si?
Many times I read about Si, it's quite similar (but I don't agree for conclusion about Si in many sites)

Source

I think this article about Introverted Sensing function is the most objective I've ever seen. IMO.

·
Registered
3,767 Posts
In this work, the concept of abstraction is linked up with the idea of the psycho-energic process involved in it. When I assume an abstracting attitude towards an object, I do not let the object affect me in its totality, but I distinguish a portion of it from its connections, at the same time excluding the irrelevant parts. My purpose is to rid myself of the object as a single and unique whole, and to extract only a portion of it. Awareness of the whole undoubtedly takes place, but I do not plunge myself into this awareness; my interest does not flow out into the totality, but withdraws itself from the object as a whole, bringing the abstracted portion into myself, i.e. into my conceptual world, which is already prepared or constellated for the purpose of abstracting a part of the object. (It is only by virtue of a subjective constellation of concepts that I possess the power of abstracting from the object). 'Interest' I conceive as that energy=libido (v. Libido), which I bestow upon the object as value, or which the object draws from me, even maybe against my will or unknown to myself. I visualize the abstracting process, therefore, as a withdrawal of libido from the object, or as a back flow of value from the object to a subjective, abstract content. Thus, for me, abstraction has the meaning of an energic depreciation of the object. In other words, abstraction can be expressed as an introverting libido-movement.

I call an attitude (v. Attitude) abstracting when it is both introverting and at the same time assimilates to already prepared abstract contents in the subject a certain essential portion of the object.
Introverted functions as a whole recall information that it has abstracted prior when an object has triggered it's interest.

Nostalgia on the other hand could be due to Si, even though some could argue Fi also experiences nostalgia. Maybe it's the combination of Si with Fi that could give rise to a higher form of nostalgia.

·
Registered
1 Posts
Last I checked, feelings and emotions had nothing to do with the functions. If you attribute nostalgia to a given function, you're effectively ruling out the other half of the population which uses its functional counterpart as being incapable (or as being any less capable) of experiencing nostalgia.

·
Registered
3,330 Posts
Check out these facts and myths about Si from @niss (ISTJ):

http://personalitycafe.com/cognitiv...st-misunderstood-function-5.html#post11170170

Here are some highlights relevant to the topic:

Si is not memory
In fact, no function is memory. All of us have fairly equivalent ability in the area of memory in that we all remember what is truly important to us. We may struggle differently in the processing of new information, suffer from short term or long term memory loss, have learning styles that are different, or even have learning disabilities that prevent us from storing memories in the best manner for later retrieval, but we all have the capability of storing and retrieving memories that are important to us - regardless of type or cognitive preferences.

Si does emphasize memory. Because Si compares the present to the past in order to understand the concepts in the present, a Si-dom will trust the past and what has worked before over new approaches to reaching a conclusion. This comparative state means that we really are attuned to memories and that we are able to quickly see the problem with a concept. This yields to the mental policeman in us that allows us to poke holes in the ideas presented by others. Left unchecked, this results in our reputation of being the master of "No," or the ultimate dream killer.
Si is not nostalgia

To the Si-dom, the past is very real and they can almost transport themselves back to that very same place in time, with thoughtful concentration. But it is not a hankering or longing for what once was. All of us experience this at some level, at different times. We have good times and bad times - it is human to think fondly on the good times and wish things could be like that again. In actuality, Si-doms tend to be rather pragmatic about it all and to view this as a bit of a waste of time.

Memory seems to be an independent function in and of itself that other functions rely upon. Here is a diagram from Jung:

Jung said:

Inside the endopsyche you first notice memory, which is still a function that can be controlled by the will; it is under the control of the ego complex.
- The Tavistock Lectures

Jung said:

The four orienting functions naturally do not contain everything that is in the conscious psyche. Will and memory, for instance, are not included.
- Psychological Types, CW6

1 - 8 of 8 Posts