Personality Cafe banner

What is the most common type of dream you have?

• ORDINARY DREAMS

Votes: 25 49.0%
  • LUCID DREAMS

Votes: 15 29.4%
  • TELEPATHIC DREAMS

Votes: 2 3.9%
  • PREMONITORY DREAMS

Votes: 10 19.6%
  • NIGHTMARES

Votes: 21 41.2%
  • OTHER - SPECIFY

Votes: 10 19.6%
1 - 20 of 28 Posts

·
Registered
4,385 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
There are five different types of dreams: ordinary, lucid, telepathic, premonitory, and nightmare. They often blend and merge with one another. So PerC members, What is the most common type of dream you have?

ORDINARY DREAMS
During the day our conscious minds are active, but at night the subconscious takes over. Ordinary dreams are based on the activity of the unconscious in response to what we have seen or heard in our waking hours. Even a single thought can trigger a dream. Automatic unconscious stores of knowledge that have made an impression remain filed in the brain and unperceived until “read” by dream symbols, which are “the language of the soul.” Events of the day and from years past are mirrored in the sleeping mind, as seemingly long-forgotten memories can resurface in dream imagery. The soul is particularly susceptible to the bygone memories that are brought to light through pictures in the mind's eye. In addition to being clairvoyant, dreams are also clairaudient, as we hear souls speak in our minds' ears. Clairvoyance means “clear sight.” It is the supernatural ability to see people and events far away in time or location. Clairaudience means clear hearing. It is the faculty to hear with the mind's ear. Words spoken to us in our dreams should be taken literally, because such spiritual communication can show us how we should be when awake. You can get the best out of your future by understanding what a dream is saying to you pictorially and verbally.

LUCID DREAMS
A lucid dream is one that you can control because you are aware that you are dreaming. You can also decide what to dream about before going to sleep and then dream about the very thing that you planned to.

TELEPATHIC DREAMS
Telepathy, known as “the language of the angels,” allows the dead and the living to speak in dreamland. In this meeting place, death is no barrier, and the living cross the threshold into a heavenly sphere of existence. This mental communication can also occur mind-to-mind between two living people. We may send our own or receive others' intentional or unintentional thoughts as mental visions in dreams. Extended telepathy during sleep is a communion between two worlds, the nighttime world of the soul and the daytime world of the body.

PREMONITORY DREAMS
Premonitory dreams are similar to telepathic dreams in that your spirit leaves your body and ventures on a voyage of discovery. Premonitory dreams are special because they reveal the future and allow the dreamer to see truths that are not accessible in waking life. In telepathic dreams, we can also detect information about an imminent event. Dreams are the catalyst that put your body into motion to follow and fulfill your wishes and desires.

NIGHTMARES
Most nightmares are linked to early childhood, when we are inexperienced and therefore dependent on others. Before the age of three, we have not yet developed a sense of conscience and of right and wrong. Nightmares are representations of a suppressed, original fear commonly created by excessively strict parental or sibling moral standards and the threat of punishment in the face of innocence.

In nightmares you may perceive a warning for yourself or for a loved one. To be forewarned is to be forearmed: if you first see a frightful event in a dream, you can prevent harm from happening in waking life. For example, nightmares can warn against acting on impulse, as well as show that certain feelings and emotions are unhealthy. Not all nightmares are nasty predictions or unwholesome signs.

A nightmare may also relate to an old, unsolved problem that is so frightening to face that we are unable to continue to dream and the emotional terror wakes us in distress without offering a solution.

Feel free to post your MBTI TYPE and DREAM TYPE in response. :happy:

·
Administrator
INTJ - ILI - 8w9 - Grunt
22,848 Posts
I have premonitory dreams....although today I had a nap and had several nightmares that people were coming to visit me *shudder*

·
Registered
1,235 Posts
I rarely remember my dreams. Most of the time, when I wake up, I remember feelings I had or bits of imagery.

The dreams I do remember are nightmares.. Me running away, me getting attacked, me being late (the most common one). I also often dream of people in my life dying.

Why can't I have happy dreams..?

·
Registered
1,042 Posts
Ordinary, lucid and nightmares

(I'm an ENFJ).

I always remember my dreams very vividly - especially the nightmares, they're so exciting!

·
Registered
4,385 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
i have honestly never had any of these :unsure:

i barely ever dream, and if i do they are just a few random but boring images of my daily life

why is this?
Actually EVERYONE dreams but some people have a genetic predisposition to not actually remember their dreams. I would consider yourself pretty lucky if you haven't had nightmares, premonitory dreams, or telepathic ones. Not having fearful or anxiety ridden dreams would mean that you don't have anything bothering you enough that your dreams wake you. So hats off to you; You're stress free!

·
Registered
4,385 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
I have premonitory dreams....although today I had a nap and had several nightmares that people were coming to visit me *shudder*
I used to have premonitory dreams as a child but I think it was due to the environment I was in more than anything. My aunt was into black magic so a lot of crazy shit happened to me and whenever I was around her. I used to have dreams where my "soul" completely left my body and I would go through things as if I ACTUALLY experienced them. I haven't had one in a very long time though.

But to have a visitor in your dream signifies that some important news or information will soon be revealed to you. It may also suggest that love is just around the corner. Alternatively, a visitor indicates that you are experiencing a new phase in your life. If the visitor is unwelcome, then it indicates your refusal to change.

I rarely remember my dreams. Most of the time, when I wake up, I remember feelings I had or bits of imagery.

The dreams I do remember are nightmares.. Me running away, me getting attacked, me being late (the most common one). I also often dream of people in my life dying.

Why can't I have happy dreams..?
Well the answer to Seducer of the Homeless may help but if I analyze further, I would expect you have a very anxiety ridden reality. Has there been an abrupt stressful change in your life? Are you searching for new answers for your own sake? I remember bits of imagery as well but never feelings unless it was something frightening. When it comes to emotions though, the first instinct we always feel is anger and then the main emotion we express. So when you abruptly come out of the REM stage, its quite common to feel fear (fear is the mix of anger and sadness) or anger compared to happiness.

Being late sounds more like anxiety. It means that you have a fear of change and your ambivalence about seizing an opportunity. You may feel unready, unworthy, or unsupported in your current circumstances. Additionally, you may be overwhelmed or conflicted with decisions about your future. Time is running out and you no longer have time to accomplish all the things you want.

People in your life dyng has more to do with a loss of self. To dream about the death of a loved one, suggests that you are lacking a certain aspect or quality that the loved one embodies. Ask yourself what makes this person special or what you like about them. It is that very quality that you are lacking in your own relationship or circumstances. Alternatively, the dream indicates that whatever that person represents has no part in your own life anymore.

·
Registered
429 Posts
Ordinary dreams and nightmares mostly. Sometimes I'll go lucid.

Reactions: bionic

·
Registered
160 Posts
Almost all my dreams involve myself in a hero role of some sort, more often than not in an adventure of epic proportions. Perhaps I have an overglorified image of myself, or perhaps that is merely the person I want to be. Most likely, a little of both.

·
Registered
1,235 Posts
Well the answer to Seducer of the Homeless may help but if I analyze further, I would expect you have a very anxiety ridden reality. Has there been an abrupt stressful change in your life? Are you searching for new answers for your own sake? I remember bits of imagery as well but never feelings unless it was something frightening. When it comes to emotions though, the first instinct we always feel is anger and then the main emotion we express. So when you abruptly come out of the REM stage, its quite common to feel fear (fear is the mix of anger and sadness) or anger compared to happiness.

Being late sounds more like anxiety. It means that you have a fear of change and your ambivalence about seizing an opportunity. You may feel unready, unworthy, or unsupported in your current circumstances. Additionally, you may be overwhelmed or conflicted with decisions about your future. Time is running out and you no longer have time to accomplish all the things you want.

People in your life dyng has more to do with a loss of self. To dream about the death of a loved one, suggests that you are lacking a certain aspect or quality that the loved one embodies. Ask yourself what makes this person special or what you like about them. It is that very quality that you are lacking in your own relationship or circumstances. Alternatively, the dream indicates that whatever that person represents has no part in your own life anymore.

This seems pretty accurate. I'm a very anxious person even for little things. I haven't remembered my dreams in a while but I think I often dreamed of being late before a big change in my life or a particular anxious situation like you said.

I only remember dreaming twice about people dying and one of those times, it was a joke. I was being stalked in the dream and I ran away and hid inside a house but the stalker found me. While I was watching through a window, he killed everyone I cared about but then while I started crying, everyone got up and it was all a big joke. :dry:

I wish I could remember my dreams more; I'd like to know what my subconscious is up to.

·
Registered
1,248 Posts
I voted Other, though I don't have a specific name for it. While I have had all of them listed, except telepathic, somewhat often... None were exactly the "most common." I suppose the easiest way to describe the most common would be, Quasi-lucid fantastic nightmares.

·
Registered
1,302 Posts
I almost always have nightmares. When I was a teen and in my early 20's it was the worst. Now my dreams are still nightmares but they have changed. Now, I am not playing defense in my nightmares. I find that I am at war with the demons, I'm afraid but fighting back. I sometimes realize I'm dreaming and use it to my advantage in the dream instead of waking myself up. And then there are those times when my husband has to wake me up because I'm angry and beating the crap out of whatever I'm dreaming about.My dreams take a while for me to forget after I wake up. I know I have reoccurring dreams.
It's been a long time since I've had a happy dream but I've learned to live with them.

·
Registered
122 Posts
There are plenty of times I know I'm dreaming, but I cannot control the dream. I remember when I lived with my parents and went to school I would actually think to myself in the dream that I hope my mom wakes me up soon for school....it was so weird and terrifying because it would happened when I had nightmares. Anyone else have that happen to them?

Many times I am fighting something or someone and/or running away - it usually never ends. For example I'll try and find my way out of a subdivision, but no matter which way I go I'd end up be in the same spot/area. Recently I've had more action/fighting/zombie dreams. Haha.

·
Banned
2,155 Posts
I used to have nightmares every night. Not so much now. They're not particularly good dreams, but they're nothing compared to what they were. And I'm not remembering my dreams like I used to.

·
Registered
304 Posts
I dream of real life, but in a context that doesn't exist in reality, if that makes sense. Not sure if any of those types of dreams apply.

1 - 20 of 28 Posts