Personality Cafe banner

1 - 20 of 29 Posts

·
Registered
228 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
What would you consider the most insulting/offensive thing someone could say about you?

I thought of this because, as I was working on an English class project, I remembered a comment my English teacher gave me on an essay that I managed to mess up a week ago. It was akin to the following: "This was so very illogical. What happened?" As she said it, I kept a straight face, as usual, but, on the inside, I was going nuts. Illogical? ME!? I'm not lying when I say there's very little anybody can say to me that will actually phase me, at this point, but it seems that "illogical" is absolutely the most insulting thing anybody could ever say to me. Even if the attribute wasn't directed at me but at my text, I took it extremely personally.

·
Registered
1,761 Posts
Well, on a similar note, I would be most insulted over anyone saying something to imply that I lacked intelligence or lacked competence or lacked some important skill. That's a way to get my blood boiling.

Now, if I actually lacked the skills to do something, and it was obvious, I wouldn't be that angry because that's just stating a fact (for example, if someone said I was stupid at handling computers, i wouldn't get too angry because it's true). Or if someone told me I had a stick up my ass, I bet I wouldn't get too offended because I do realize I can be too rigid with pointless rules, just because they are rules, sometimes.

But if the person criticizing me is wrong, or I think he is wrong, and he was making a comment about my abilities, I might want revenge against him for implying I am stupid.

Does this mean I am insecure about my intelligence/my competence? Or would ISTJs easily get offended by someone questioning their competence.

·
Registered
447 Posts
The most insulting thing I have considered anyone to ever say about/to me was this:
"Oh, it's okay, dude it's Allison- she's a robot, she doesn't even have feelings! Don't worry about her."
Yeah. That made me so very upset. I know some people will tell me that C--- meant it as a joke, but BELIEVE ME. It was not a joke. The way C--- said it, I knew that it was not a joke.
As for more normal, day-to-day stuff, I get really insulted when my family (especially my sister) tells me that I don't have any friends. I know that they're joking, but they should know me well enough to know that I take those things seriously.
Oh! Another thing- when people say that I am naive/gullible/easy to make fun of. My family is the worst at this.
"But Allison! You're just so easy to make fun of! You're so easy to pull a joke on!"
¬_¬
That really gets under my skin. And it happens with everyone that I've ever met. And they're not just your normal jokes... EVERYONE has gone "too far" at least once. I have yet to meet a person/make a friend who hasn't made fun of me in a major way. It's so depressing. A lot of times I used to just "go along" with it, and laugh it off... but it hurts so much. I've stopped doing that. How will people know I hate it if I don't show them?

·
Banned
5 Posts
that you have no feelings, lack competence or integrity? all of that is so reasonable. i like it. i find im only insulted when someone is incorrect about me- which either comes from an unfair assessment of a particular thing, or MOST OFTEN- a generalization. the other day someone said to me 'you dont listen to anyone'. that annoyed me, because i do IN GENERAL. the person was only saying that because i didnt take their suggestion at the time.

·
MOTM July 2010
4,596 Posts
If someone insult my consistency and loyalty as "stupid", or if they perceived my decision as "too early" or "rush".

Reactions: niss and Sela

·
Registered
9,421 Posts
I've never had someone say this but I guess I would be very insulted if someone said that I lacked integrity.
^ This. Someone actually had the nerve to question mine once and ... it was ON. As in "let's get ready to rumble".
I was doing finances for a fan club a few years back and this joker had the audacity to question some necessary purchases (which I of course kept careful receipts on, etc.). I'm careful enough with my own money; I'm 1000x more careful with someone else's.
I lit into him like it was the 4th of July without a second thought. It made me So. Freakin. Mad.

·
Registered
1,245 Posts
The most irritating line someone can give me is "... You mean you really *meant* that?"

Of course I mean what I say - else why even bother saying it?

Apart from that, nothing really offends me much. Accusations against my character are often true, sadly. :wink:

·
Registered
9,421 Posts
Apart from that, nothing really offends me much. Accusations against my character are often true, sadly. :wink:
Well ... what else can one expect when you are wearing a mouse on your head? :tongue: :crazy:

·
Registered
3,234 Posts
I hate it when someone questions my integrity, like others have said. My parents have always given me a lot of trust and didn't enforce many strict things like curfews or anything like that because I was very responsible, always told the truth, and never got in trouble.

I had a pal growing up whose mother was a teacher so she was always really suspicious/skeptical of everything I said, which I found frustrating. Really, it infuriated me to have her question everything I had to say. I avoided her at all costs and limited conversation. :angry:

EDIT: Can't pass up the opportunity to use this picture:

·
MOTM May 2011
14,041 Posts
Go back and read through these posts. In almost every situation you ISTJs are getting upset or are feeling insulted when your character is defaced, particularly in public. If it is one on one and it is a person you can walk away from, you are writing the person off. If they are someone that you can't really write off (like family or coworkers), you get hurt and defensive and end up complaining to a third party about how you were insulted. Eventually, you'll confront the person that hurt you, but depending on the situation, it may take a few minutes or it could be a few years, before you'll confront them.

Bottom line, you feel insulted when someone does or says something that you feel damages your character. And where does this feeling come from? Your pride and your fear.

Let it go, peoples. These other lizards saying smack doesn't make it true. Simply live your life in such a manner that there is no way that anyone would believe this negative stuff about you, and ignore the instigators of this strife.

Me? If someone is insulting, I try to figure out if they are being mean and petty, or if they are misinformed. If they are misinformed, I'll try to clarify. If they are being ugly, I start arranging my affairs so that they are not included.

Be honest and up front in your dealings with others and they will respect you.

Oh, and a pet peeve of mine---don't say "integrity" when you mean socially acceptable moral character. Honor among thieves denotes integrity; a drug dealer can have integrity. Integrity is being true to your values.

·
Registered
175 Posts
Mocking my intelligence would make me angry, but what truly gets under my skin is when people insult my work ethic(which isn't very often). I will turn all sorts of colors and make the person cower before they ever say something like that again to me. :angry:

·
Registered
3,521 Posts
I would take a personal insult if someone came to me saying that i was wavering in my work and faith. Also i got the robot comment on a bi-weekly basis so by now i am used to it but i cannot help but bristle every time i hear that. They think i have no emotions wrong it is just i am better at hiding it than they are.

·
Registered
1,638 Posts
The most insulting things:

- Insults to my competence.

- Insults to my intellect.

- Insults to my analytical/ logical abilities

- Insults directed at my appearnce.

- Insults directed at my ' whatever-the- correct- word-for-integrity-should-be-as-per-niss' :wink:

If any of these insults were made and the person was true, then I do not take it to heart. In fact, I'll likely try to improve myself for better. Of course, if the person was making assumptions and ill- assessment, then I just classify them under my 'ignore' list. The person is thus, ignored.

I do not confront people for such. However, I do not hold it against them either. For if its true, then they are right. If not, then they go in ignore list.

1 - 20 of 29 Posts