Personality Cafe banner

1 - 20 of 85 Posts

·
Registered
36 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Please don´t judge my question too early, let´s see what people have to say about their life experience.

We probably don´t know the answer right away because we haven´t done any study, but maybe we know the personality type of some people, perhaps many, that did hide it for a long time.

I´m seeking a correlation between "his" personality type and the tendency to hide that in fact "he" is gay.
What are the personality types that struggle the most?
What is the personality type that has more difficulties coming to terms with his homosexuality?

If you are gay, please tell us about you too.

Thank you.

·
Registered
648 Posts
Any type depending on life experiances is prone to hiding their homosexuality.

I'd say any ST type is prone, however, since they are more likely to cohere to the idea of 'manly men'.

·
Registered
36 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
and please explain your choice. What you´ve said so far sounds too theoretical. Do you actually know someone of that type.
How he hide it... explain a bit, no?

·
Registered
615 Posts
ESTJ friend while taking the MBTI test: "I'm doing it slowly because I don't want a gay answer."
After seeing the word "anal" in Jungian descriptions: "It means I have so many - blah blah blah, I can't remember. basically, he's NOT gay, gasp! :tongue:

·
MOTM Jan 2010
2,988 Posts
I think someone with a dominant extroverted judging function would be the most likely to hide his sexuality. I think someone with an introverted dominant function would likely reflect first, play with the idea in their head. With an EXXJ type, the first reaction would probably be to measure up the homosexuality against widespread notions. Environment plays a huge role in this, of course. The more close-minded the environment, the more likely a person is to hide an "undesirable" quality.

This is pure conjecture, of course.

·
Registered
838 Posts
Since I have never seen a study done correlating these two factors, I will have to speak from my experiences. Thus, my post here is perfectly open for suggestion or objection, and other people may have had different, and perhaps even opposite, experiences as I have had.

I believe that this depends on what you will consider as being "out". Are you out if you don't object when someone questions your sexuality? Or do you have to be openly expressive about it? For example, although I consider myself "out" I don't flaunt my sexuality as I usually don't see the need to; if someone asks, I will tell them, but I don't openly go and correct people who make an assumption that I am straight. Because most people initially assume that I am straight, not many people outside of my close friends knows about my sexuality: is this considered being "out"?

I think someone with Te or Fe high up the ladder would be more likely to hide it. These are 'conformist' functions in their essence so if by outside standards it isn't right then the person will feel uneasy about doing it.
I think someone with a dominant extroverted judging function would be the most likely to hide his sexuality. I think someone with an introverted dominant function would likely reflect first, play with the idea in their head. With an EXXJ type, the first reaction would probably be to measure up the homosexuality against widespread notions. Environment plays a huge role in this, of course. The more close-minded the environment, the more likely a person is to hide an "undesirable" quality.

This is pure conjecture, of course.
Have to agree with those two, although it's out of pure observation and rationalization, of course. However, I have noticed that because being gay or bi is somehow considered "hip" to some population, for better or for worse (worse because I observed some heterosexuals doing this also), more and more people are openly and loudly expressing their homosexuality/bisexuality/etc. I observed this chiefly in ExxJs. As for the second group I've mentioned, the ones who are "silently out", I noticed this a lot in people with high introverted judging functions.

Can't exactly place them into ranks from one to five -- the sample population is too small and too incomplete, not to mention that the criteria is entirely too unreliable and subjective, for me to deduce even a most general conclusion outside of my own observation. As for your inquiry on INTJs, however, from my experience they tend to be one of the most comfortably (but quietly) "out" after they completed their initial reflection period.

·
MOTM Jan 2010
2,988 Posts
I believe that this depends on what you will consider as being "out". Are you out if you don't object when someone questions your sexuality? Or do you have to be openly expressive about it? For example, although I consider myself "out" I don't flaunt my sexuality as I usually don't see the need to; if someone asks, I will tell them, but I don't openly go and correct people who make an assumption that I am straight. Because most people initially assume that I am straight, not many people outside of my close friends knows about my sexuality: is this considered being "out"?
Yeah, I think that's an important distinction to make. A lot of people think being out means that the whole world knows about it, but there are so many varying degrees. I tend to take the same approach as you, Arioche (except for at my university, where it's comfy being queer :tongue:).

1 - 20 of 85 Posts