Personality Cafe banner
1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
158 Posts
It's obvious his artwork is Se-Ni.

As a kid Andy was supposed to be very sensitive and shy. He was often bullied.

ISTP or ISFP. I see Andy caring more about concepts than people...even though to him people WERE art. I've heard that he could be very cold and callous, which is common amongst Ti doms. He also seemed so remote, bizarre, and detached in interviews...which is makes me lean toward ISTP.

The Campbell's tomato soup cans as art screams Se and Ni to me. He saw them as symbols, archetypes of our modern age. INTJ would be the only other possibility, and it's possible, as Andy was very ambitious, hard working, and organized. Obviously any type can be that way when they're doing what they love...and in general it's hard to swallow Andy Warhol as an INTJ. Still, it's possible. So, ISTP, ISFP, or INTJ....

Anyone else want to join in here? I would think there would be at least a few people interested in typing Andy.

·
Registered
158 Posts
Do you see Ne rather then Se, DeductiveReasoner? I had thought about that, but decided I thought he seemed more Ni and Se than Ne and Si. I don't have any reason to suspect strong Fi in Andy, either, though I also can't dispute it.

INTJ I just threw out there because they use both Ni and Se, and I want to generate a discussion, but I don't seriously think it fits at all.

Please point out where you see Fi and Ne in Andy's art and/or personality if possible...

·
Banned
14,801 Posts
I've always thought of Andy as an incredibly prudish and cold ISFJ.

This is because I know a lot about Andy's personal life, not just his art or his legend. The Campbell's soup cans were from his own childhood, and so I think that's Si, not Ni. I also think the repetitive quality of his silk screen art is Si. I think the fact that he called his studio The Factory is Si. I think the regimented way he made art is very SJ.

I think his need for fame and status was Fe. I think his need to nurture, feed, and care for the people who lived in his Factory was very ISFJ. I also think the way he coldly rejected people who no longer "fit" is the nasty cold side of Fe.

Andy was also deeply religious, ashamed of his own homosexuality, and is said to have probably died as a virgin, despite the content of his work.

ISFJ, bro.

·
Banned
14,801 Posts
He also seemed so remote, bizarre, and detached in interviews...which is makes me lean toward ISTP.

Anyone else want to join in here? I would think there would be at least a few people interested in typing Andy.
That remote bizarre behavior could easily be an Si/Ti loop (ISFJ).

Or drugs.

There was a lot of speed in the Factory.

·
Registered
158 Posts
I read that Andy didn't partake in the drug use at The Factory, that he was pretty much straight edge.

But I can see you have read a lot more about the guy than I have. I can see your arguments for Si and Fe. Very interesting. Thank you.

·
MOTM June 2011
6,992 Posts
I've always thought of Andy as an incredibly prudish and cold ISFJ.

This is because I know a lot about Andy's personal life, not just his art or his legend. The Campbell's soup cans were from his own childhood, and so I think that's Si, not Ni. I also think the repetitive quality of his silk screen art is Si. I think the fact that he called his studio The Factory is Si. I think the regimented way he made art is very SJ.

I think his need for fame and status was Fe. I think his need to nurture, feed, and care for the people who lived in his Factory was very ISFJ. I also think the way he coldly rejected people who no longer "fit" is the nasty cold side of Fe.

Andy was also deeply religious, ashamed of his own homosexuality, and is said to have probably died as a virgin, despite the content of his work.

ISFJ, bro.
I also knew about this stuff, I'm unsure about the drug use though. As @Wounded Bird mentioned, I haven't heard about it. I heard he was mostly an observer of what happened in The Factory. I could be wrong, but I think if he was ashamed of his homosexuality he may also have avoided drugs.

Along with being bullied as a child, he was often sickly which meant he was usually indoors. I think that's a factor in his introversion and connection to his childhood with some art. Especially the soup can, Mickey Mouse, and others.

Reactions: Thalassa

·
Registered
144 Posts
I've seen him typed as INFP, but being an INFP and also a fan of Andy Warhol I'm going to have to disagree. I could see him being more ISFP (he was very concerned with aesthetics) or possible INTP. He claimed he wanted to get rid of feelings. I really don't see an INFP saying that. He was very closed-off emotionally and generally did not like getting emotionally involved.

·
Registered
10 Posts
INFP

but I'm more inclined tho think - ENFP

I'm really just attributing the introveted-ness with the I
(since both use the same functions. there is a chance that he was actually an ENFP - enneagram 4)

but if you look at the physical implications of having Ne as dominant then Fi as CREATIVE FUNCTION

this means that ENFPs are CREATIVE FEELERS - who are individualistic (sounds like Andy Warhol)

ENFPs tend to be very individualistic an HIGHLY artistic.

they also have a tendency to PERSONALIZE their interests and sentimental stuff in a deep way in order to make themselves "stand-out" as individuals - again:

ENFPs have a tendency to be "original", hate on the "normal way" of doing this, stay "true to themselves," be individualistic - and be PROUD of that. - NOTICE: Andy Warhol has TONS of WEIRD SELF PORTRAITS. He just LOVED showcasing his weird-ness

- enfps can have awkward childhood memories - since they lack Fe (conforming with the social harmony) and their dominant Ne (they will view things DIFFERENTLY than most people would...in this way they are similar to ENTPs)

PLUS: children are in developmental stages. I don't think we should type people based on their childhood. We should look at their cognitive functions AS ADULTS (how they see the world, how they process things - as an ADULT) - children can be brutes

·
Registered
62 Posts
people don't see...Andy Warhol is so ISFP., I love this guy., a true original who revolutionized fashion. the other option, but far off is an INTJ..

·
Registered
307 Posts
It's obvious his artwork is Se-Ni.

As a kid Andy was supposed to be very sensitive and shy. He was often bullied.

ISTP or ISFP. I see Andy caring more about concepts than people...even though to him people WERE art. I've heard that he could be very cold and callous, which is common amongst Ti doms. He also seemed so remote, bizarre, and detached in interviews...which is makes me lean toward ISTP.

The Campbell's tomato soup cans as art screams Se and Ni to me. He saw them as symbols, archetypes of our modern age. INTJ would be the only other possibility, and it's possible, as Andy was very ambitious, hard working, and organized. Obviously any type can be that way when they're doing what they love...and in general it's hard to swallow Andy Warhol as an INTJ. Still, it's possible. So, ISTP, ISFP, or INTJ....

It's ironic that he is typed as INFP on PDB. I also think he is very SeNi. ISxP.

·
Registered
307 Posts
people don't see...Andy Warhol is so ISFP., I love this guy., a true original who revolutionized fashion. the other option, but far off is an INTJ..
It's laughable that he is typed as INFP on PDB while he is very SeNi. Sensor bias is sky high on PDB.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts