Personality Cafe banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Banned
3,849 Posts
he sounds like a J-type and a TiFe user so that would be four types - ISFJ, INFJ, ENFJ, ESFJ
my feeling is that he was an introvert with auxiliary Fe rather than dominant Fe so ISFJ or INFJ

Despite nurturing a familial atmosphere in his offices, he installed two cameras on the small trading floor...
he shunned one-on-one meetings with most of his investors, wrapping himself in an Oz-like aura, making him even more desirable to those seeking access.
"People like him become sort of like chameleons. They are very good at impression management" Mr. McCrary says. "They manage the impression you receive of them. They know what people want, and they give it to them."
Associates and others acquainted with him said his punctilious ways sometimes veered into obsessive-compulsive behavior. His office, for example, always had to be immaculate
Mr. Madoff scouted the office for potential filth. Once, when he spotted an employee eating a pear at his desk in New York, this person said, Mr. Madoff spied some juice dripping onto the gray carpet. "What do you think you are doing?" this person recalls Mr. Madoff demanding. Eating a pear, the employee replied. Mr. Madoff ripped the soiled carpet tile from the floor, then rushed to a closet to retrieve a similar swatch to replace it.
Mr. Madoff still reveled in micromanaging everything there, including the office décor.
But former employees and friends say Mr. Madoff's obsession with order and control of his environment never led them to believe that deeper problems were afoot.
"He appeared to believe in family, loyalty and honesty" said one former Madoff employee
Like Mr. Bundy, Mr. Madoff used a sharp mind and an affable demeanor to create a persona that didn't exist, according to this view, and lulled his victims into a false sense of security.

·
Banned
197 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
really?
I would never think of ISFJ for him.

on other forums people thought of him to be an INTJ or ENTJ, and they gave some good reasons.
Please justify your choice.
After reading the profile of him on the NYT, I think he could be an ESTP...

·
Banned
3,849 Posts
really?
I would never think of ISFJ for him.

on other forums people thought of him to be an INTJ or ENTJ, and they gave some good reasons.
Please justify your choice.
After reading the profile of him on the NYT, I think he could be an ESTP...
Yeah I agree ISFJ is unlikely, INFJ is much more probable.

The reasons are all in those quotes from the articles you linked. He had desire to have control and order in his environment. His employees noted he was prone to micromanagement. This is common for J-types who desire a more structured environment and will put effort into creating that structure and order themselves. From what I've read he actually knew he would get caught and that it was all a matter of time really. That sounds like a J-type approach once again of trying to anticipate and plan for events and prepare. He prepared by being friends with the regulators as that article describes. The whole thing was a big grand evolving plan or scheme of his. He fostered "familiar atmosphere in his offices" and his openly professed values were "loyalty and family". He also spent time on "cultivating his relationships" with other people. If you have ever worked for Fe dominant or auxiliary personalities this is the sort of things they will focus on, team building, teamwork, creating family atmosphere where everybody feels welcome, creating and cultivating positive social bonds. On the down side they find it difficult to criticize their employees for underachievement and poor performance. If you have also worked for ENFJs and INFJs you'd also know they can be quite a social chameleons. In private thought they will analyze people and estimate their motives and then proceed to tell people exactly what they want to hear. This is a sort of very dangerous charisma if it is put into the wrong hands, for example if hands of a scammer like Bernie Madoff.

·
Banned
197 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Benie doesn´t look like a bad human to me.
I think that people who didn´t lose money with his fund cannot really have anything against him. He seems like a cool guy.
What about Ruth Madoff?

·
Forum Conspiracy Theorist
11,238 Posts
Is the MBTI really valid for diagnosing sociopaths? Because that's what Bernie Madoff is...

·
Banned
197 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
why do you think that? I think for most people he was a cool guy. Ask the owner of restaurants he visited...

·
11,238 Posts
Sociopaths can be smooth, superificially-charming and glib

·
11,238 Posts
He looks like a type 8 (power hungry, likes to be in control of everything) on the Enneagram which is generally an ENxx profile, though micromanaging can suggest an ESxx profile. Regardless, sociopaths tend to be cold and calculating so that would make him a Thinker over a Feeler, and the fact that he tended to plan activities early and enjoyed predictability.

So that would make him an ESTJ or an ENTJ. I would guess ENTJ because the scale of his manipulation reflected long term thinking, and the ability to see the big picture (though Madoff did say he was surprised he didn't get caught earlier).

·
Banned
197 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Anyone here is familiar with the type of Bernie´s wife: Ruth Madoff.
I´m also trying to type her sons: unfortunately, one of them killed himself, the other just wrote a book about the story.

·
Registered
29 Posts
Yeah I agree ISFJ is unlikely, INFJ is much more probable.

The reasons are all in those quotes from the articles you linked. He had desire to have control and order in his environment. His employees noted he was prone to micromanagement. This is common for J-types who desire a more structured environment and will put effort into creating that structure and order themselves. From what I've read he actually knew he would get caught and that it was all a matter of time really. That sounds like a J-type approach once again of trying to anticipate and plan for events and prepare. He prepared by being friends with the regulators as that article describes. The whole thing was a big grand evolving plan or scheme of his. He fostered "familiar atmosphere in his offices" and his openly professed values were "loyalty and family". He also spent time on "cultivating his relationships" with other people. If you have ever worked for Fe dominant or auxiliary personalities this is the sort of things they will focus on, team building, teamwork, creating family atmosphere where everybody feels welcome, creating and cultivating positive social bonds. On the down side they find it difficult to criticize their employees for underachievement and poor performance. If you have also worked for ENFJs and INFJs you'd also know they can be quite a social chameleons. In private thought they will analyze people and estimate their motives and then proceed to tell people exactly what they want to hear. This is a sort of very dangerous charisma if it is put into the wrong hands, for example if hands of a scammer like Bernie Madoff.
It sounds to me more like he stressed family and relationships as another part of his scam, his 'image'. i couldn't really see an INFJ who valued workplace harmony yelling at an employee and ripping out carpet for pear juice. i also think an Ni dom would probably be more concerned and aware of the fact that they are certain to get caught, and either not do such a scam or craft some eject button they could hit right before it all blew up.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts