Personality Cafe banner

1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
1,099 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
What kind of practical applications do you find for it, specifically?

I've tossed out the system and created my own, basically. I determine E or I based on how outgoing and forward the person is, rather then on extroverted or introverted dominant function. Then I can identify the other 3 letters based on a few different signals, which gives me their top two most likely used functions. I've noticed the top 2 functions are almost always correct, while the 3rd and 4th usually aren't. That gives me a little bit of insight into how they think and their personality. I don't think it's really useful beyond that.

·
Subterranean Homesick Alien
11,928 Posts
MBTI? The practical applications, I see, are for relationship use, personal growth, family health, etc. And when I say 'relationship use', I don't mean ...'OMfg!!! I fuggin love ISFPs! I'm gonna go find me one'!...No...It can give you insight into how people work and into how you can help your relationships grow. Romantic, friendly, or family relationships. It cam also help you understand yourself and leanr how you can grow and get more joy out of life...Provided you understand it, atleast xD

·
Registered
2,597 Posts
I fuggin love ISFPs! I'm gonna go find me one'!
That is a lovely thought, though ;-)

I like MBTI if for nothing more than sheer entertainment. I like tring to figure out everyon'es type. and I do use it to explain my family members relationships with each other. And I find it helps make my life easier through better understanding of myself.

·
Registered
4,741 Posts
To understand the behavioral patterns in ourselves and others to grow as people career-wise, relationship-wise, and whichever other ,-wise ways you find adequate in bettering yourself.

·
Registered
1,099 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
And here I was thinking that I was posting on the ISTP forum in order to get a practical answer from The Mechanics

·
Banned
4,265 Posts
Its great if you're in a leadership position, to identify your subordinates and adjust your communication accordingly. You can set up an environment where they become the most productive and the least pissed off. Also, as sad as it sounds, I can almost mathematically decide where to go and what activities to participate if I want to meet certain personalities. Surfing and ski-ing for ISTP's, Yoga for INFJ's, and... well I haven't found out ENFP's yet. From what I can tell they're everywhere there's people... church? lol.

Oh and at least one of you in a relationship will possess the understanding of what's going wrong.

·
MOTM Jan 2012
6,514 Posts
It's a good tool to understand how people "tick". It's not perfect, because people who share a "type" are very different. No one person is completely alike. If I know how people "tick", then I can avoid making stupid mistakes that lead to interpersonal strife. It gives me an advantage in the game.

Reactions: BrooklynBoy

·
Registered
1,670 Posts
NO POINT! To mold our time according to our personal understanding which can be a wonderful addition in our journey when applied with a practical usage/goal in mind.

·
Registered
2,764 Posts
It's useful to know that humans come in 16 basic types. Otherwise we'd make the mistake of assuming that everyone is fundamentally the same, just because we look alike. We don't have distinguishing features like animals do.

In a practical sense, it's useful because when a person does X, and you know his/her type, you can better interpret what X means. And you can make more sense of the things you do yourself.

It's not going to get you a better job or a hotter spouse. It's more like a tool for making sense of things, which, granted, is not important to everyone.

It also makes for a good sense of community, when people understand and appreciate the differences between them rather than trying to change each other.

·
Registered
410 Posts
A series of letters that show a person's outlook on life. I like to think of it as a reverse horoscope.

·
Registered
321 Posts
I see MBTI as a useful tool for understanding myself and others. That understanding helps me to have more effective and more pleasurable interaction with people.

·
Registered
743 Posts
At one job I had (last Summer) I typed my overseer as an ESFJ. Sure he was an overseer, but not tough*. His overseer was an ISTJ. I was able to talk with each differently and thus got along with both pretty well.

As others here have said, it's the practical applications of MBTI that are useful. I can see why why others are the way they are. A couple the members in my extended family are N and they're disliked by most of the rest of the family, I realise, for being intuitives**.

Take the enneagram for instance. It's okay, but really who cares? I can't tell someone's enneagram when I'm talking to them. So I discard it.

THAT'S the use of the MBTI: find where someone's coming from and find out why they are the way they are ***.

* in all honesty I got along with the guy really well.

** not that I do anything to change this. I'm the favourite! :tongue:

*** SJ wimmenz love muscles on a guy. If SJ women love it (being 40% of the female population) guys will try to emulate it. So go to the gym. :laughing:

·
Registered
2,597 Posts
At one job I had (last Summer) I typed my overseer as an ESFJ. Sure he was an overseer, but not tough*. His overseer was an ISTJ. I was able to talk with each differently and thus got along with both pretty well.

As others here have said, it's the practical applications of MBTI that are useful. I can see why why others are the way they are. A couple the members in my extended family are N and they're disliked by most of the rest of the family, I realise, for being intuitives**.

Take the enneagram for instance. It's okay, but really who cares? I can't tell someone's enneagram when I'm talking to them. So I discard it.

THAT'S the use of the MBTI: find where someone's coming from and find out why they are the way they are ***.

* in all honesty I got along with the guy really well.

** not that I do anything to change this. I'm the favourite! :tongue:

*** SJ wimmenz love muscles on a guy. If SJ women love it (being 40% of the female population) guys will try to emulate it. So go to the gym. :laughing:
What do SP women like?

·
Banned
932 Posts

This is random and not true.- how did you get to this conclusion? I think any female can appreciate muscles... I don't like too much muscle though. Lean muscle is good. I always hate those muscle-builder guys at the gym though...

·
Registered
743 Posts
This is random and not true.- how did you get to this conclusion? I think any female can appreciate muscles... I don't like too much muscle though. Lean muscle is good. I always hate those muscle-builder guys at the gym though...
IxFP girls always seem to be with guys who have less muscle than they do.

NT girls like a challenge to their intellect.

Don't know about the rest.

·
Banned
1,174 Posts

I've tossed out the system and created my own, basically. I determine E or I based on how outgoing and forward the person is, rather then on extroverted or introverted dominant function. Then I can identify the other 3 letters based on a few different signals, which gives me their top two most likely used functions. I've noticed the top 2 functions are almost always correct, while the 3rd and 4th usually aren't. That gives me a little bit of insight into how they think and their personality. I don't think it's really useful beyond that.

To understand yourself and the people around you.

Reactions: BrooklynBoy
1 - 20 of 20 Posts