Personality Cafe banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I enter this phase where I stop actively talking to people beyond small talk. I see no point in sharing what I think or feel or imagine unless it has some sort of things to achieve. I know I'm under a lot of stress and getting reclusive but srly what's the point in telling people what I know beside letting people know more and know more about me?

One hypothesis is that we exchange information but I realized people tell you what they think regardless of how much you share. One justification is that people wouldn't get it either way so why try.

·
Registered
4,442 Posts
I think everyone needs at least someone if not multiple people that they can confide in. Someone needs to have similar and compatible enough sentiments and outlooks and such for you to be able to do that w/.. and the random person you meet when about is prob not going to be able to be that for you, so it is perhaps somewhat wasted effort and emotion to expect to make that connection w/ most people and perhaps shouldn't bother w/ much more than small talk w/ most people .. but you still need people/someone that you can talk about anything and everything with.

I def relate to what you're saying though. Myself I went out w/ people last night and it was an ok time, but I realized when there that none of the people I was with I could really have a conversation w/ and it was boring. I think the thing though is not to stress about it. Try moving towards social settings were you're more likely to encounter people you'd connect w/ and realize meeting people is luck and you got to keep meeting new people if you want to meet awesome people that will make you happy to be around.

·
Registered
636 Posts
I like to grow from or expand on what i know and to do that it needs to be challenged. A good way for me to do that is by sharing it with others. Im sure there are some other ways to do that but the point of sharing for me is to get bigger perspectives and to learn. You can get that info by not sharing sometimes but I've noticed that if i reciprocated i will get a lot more info than if i didnt share. Basically it can help build a rapport to get more and more info.

Some emotions can get worse if left in the dark. Like shame. Shame is one of those things that fester if i dont voice it and sort of laugh at myself when i mess up. Better to just share it and move on with my life with someone i trust.

Other times it might be to change someone else's opinion.
So for me usually the goal is to either convince the audience that's watching a debate or to make someone just less extreme in thier opinion. People are stubborn creatures so if i can get someone to question and seek out more information i call that a win. Theyll hopefully become a bit more of an informed person in the end. As for the audience, someone there might not have picked a side yet. So they are open minded to what others are saying usually. Thats the person im giving the info for because they might come to my side then if i present it in a way that is respectful and well thoughtout. Thats only if i have an opinion tho.

Anyways i find small talk to be too boring. Even if its not serious i like to randomly bring up odd topics of conversation because then its not the same conversation over and over again. I can get really annoyed if i do small talk all day.

·
Registered
251 Posts
I enter this phase where I stop actively talking to people beyond small talk. I see no point in sharing what I think or feel or imagine unless it has some sort of things to achieve. I know I'm under a lot of stress and getting reclusive but srly what's the point in telling people what I know beside letting people know more and know more about me?

One hypothesis is that we exchange information but I realized people tell you what they think regardless of how much you share. One justification is that people wouldn't get it either way so why try.
I was there before, and I chalk it up to experience. I don't elaborate on anything unless people want to know what I'm talking about. The amount of information I give depends on the interest of the other party. For instance, if I were to talk about my work (chemistry), the person I'm speaking to would need background information to understand my issues or my explanations, so instead of spending an hour explaining something, I would give a shallow one sentence summary. Because of that, I have discovered that I particularly enjoy speaking with technical people.

The way I see it is everyone has divergent lives and focus their lives on diverse topics. While it's interesting to learn more about different fields, for the most part we almost need to keep things on a shallow level to talk to each other; so we talk about relationships, financial issues, things we can all relate to equally. I come from a family of professionals. Do you think we all sit down and talk about our careers at family gatherings? We keep things light and talk about our personal lives.

That's my take on the topic.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts