Personality Cafe banner
1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
3,301 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I stole this thread idea from Myst. It looked interesting and I have time to waste so I filled it out. Insights?

1. Is it worse to fail at something or never attempt it in the first place?

To never attempt it because there’s no way you can succeed if you don’t try. I know this in theory but in practice I don’t always attempt things if the probability of failure is too great. Or the likelihood of success doesn’t warrant the effort you put into it.

2. If you could choose just one thing to change about the world, what would it be?

I can only pick one thing? I suppose more tolerance for your fellow human beings. That’s the first thing that came to mind. It would eliminate alot of wars and hate crimes.

3. To what extent do you shape your own destiny, and how much is down to fate?

Mostly shape it myself but some things are beyond my control. I’m not sure I believe in fate, more like luck or being in the right place at the right time.

4. What happens after we die?

I have no idea. I would like there to be some sort of life after death but no solid proof of that.

5. Should people care more about doing the right thing, or doing things right?

Doing the right thing. To me that implies a fair, ethical solution for people. Doing things right sounds like we ‘followed the rules’ but merely following the rules does not always insure the best outcome.

6. What one piece of advice would you offer to a newborn infant?

No idea, the newborn is too young to understand advice. Hypothetically it might be something like: “When you’re born the world will be a scary, overwhelming place unlike anything you’ve ever experienced but hang in there, you’ll get used to it and learn to appreciate, even love it.

7. Where is the line between insanity and creativity?

There is a line? Creativity does not necessarily lead to insanity. Insane people aren’t necessarily more creative.

8. What is true happiness?

Doing what personally fulfills you and has meaning. Being satisfied with what you have and your circumstances. Not having the need to have more or something different.

9. What things hold you back from doing the things that you really want to?

A combination of the following: Fear of failure, fear of scrutiny from others, not sure how to go about achieving it, laziness.

10. What makes you, you?

A combination of genetics and life experience

11. What is the truth?

I’m still trying to figure that out. Is there an absolute truth? There’s understanding of the world through scientific research and there’s new findings all of the time and sometimes our understanding of the world changes as more information comes in.

12. If lying is wrong, are white lies okay?

I’m not sure lying in itself is absolutely wrong. Ideally we would all be honest with each other but in a practical sense, there may be situations where one has to lie. Lets say I was destitute and truly desperate for a job because I had to feed my family. I would seriously consider lying on a job application or about my experience if the likelihood of getting caught was low.

I think white lies are still a form of lying but a lesser case. Sometimes white lies are needed to ‘save face’, preserve someone’s dignity, to not offend them. Instead of lying though you could rephrase it in a way so that you tell the truth and still not offend. Like if someone asks you if you like their haircut and you don’t like it, instead of saying “Yes, I love it!” Instead you could say “I’m glad it suits you” or mention one aspect of it you do like but not say you like it as a whole.

13. How do you know your perceptions are real?

Are we just figments of our own imagination? I suppose if other people perceive the things I do, it might suggest my perceptions are most likely real. But those people could be misperceiving the exact same things I do. Do we all perceive things the same way? Probably not. Perhaps ‘reality’ is in the eye of the beholder.

14. What makes a good friend?

Trustworthy, reliable, someone who supports you in times of difficulty, someone who genuinely cares about your well-being, someone you enjoy spending time with

15. Why do people fear losing things that they do not even have yet?

Why would you fear what you don’t have? Maybe if you think you would likely acquire it in the future you wonder if acquiring it is worth it if there’s a great likelihood of loss. The best example that comes to my mind is romantic relationships. You encounter someone that has great potential of becoming a romantic relationship. You ask yourself, is this relationship worth it? You may ask yourself, how likely is this person to leave me for someone else? How likely am I to be bored with this person later on? If the likelihood of losing the relationship is too great, you might not bother with it.

16. Who decides what morality is?

Everyone is capable of deciding. I don’t think there is an absolute morality per se. It’s more about common sense- treat others the way you want to be treated, achieving the greatest good for the greatest amount of people, etc.

Some people like religious leaders or government officials like to think they have the ultimate say on what morality is or isn’t.

17. What is the difference between living and being alive?

In the literal sense of the word, no difference. In a more figurative sense, living is analogous to just ‘going through the motions’ getting your basic survival needs met but rather meaningless and not personally fulfilling. “Being alive” is living your life in a personally meaningful and fulfilling way.

18. Is a “wrong” act okay if nobody ever knows about it?

I need more context to answer this. Will people know about it later? Does it make you feel guilty regardless of whether people know or not? Those are considerations to make.

19. Is there a reason to life?

We can’t know for sure. Does life have an inherent meaning? Philosophers have been debating that since the start of humankind. There isn’t a clear answer. I suppose we have to make our meaning.

20. How do you know that your experience of consciousness is the same as other people’s experience of consciousness?

I’m not sure there is a way to know. This questions truly boggles the mind.

21. What is true strength?

It’s more than just brute physical strength. It’s about being able to persist and not get discouraged even when facing setbacks and difficulties. Having courage.

22. What is true love?

Someone who accepts you for you who you are and doesn’t demand anything different. Sometimes who is there for you in times of difficulty and supports you and cares about your wellbeing. Similar to my definition for true friendship, except it runs even deeper and more intimate.

23. Is a family still relevant in the modern world?

Of course it is. Children need to be cared for when young and parents have the duty to set a good example for their children to follow. People still find it fulfilling to marry and have children. I don’t see that changing.

24. What role does honor play in today’s society?

It’s important to respect people who have great knowledge or wisdom, who truly make the world a better place.

25. If money cannot buy happiness, can you ever be truly happy with no money?
Maybe, if you are able to live totally off the land, isolated from modern civilization (which inevitably involves money).

For most people, doubtful, because they are not going to go about living off the land and they depend on some source of income to get needs met.

26. How should people live their lives?

In a way that’s personally fulfilling for them and true to themselves as long as they harm no one else. Something that makes a society a better a place.

27. How much control do you have over your life?

A fair amount of control. I can choose what career to pursue, the kind of person I want to marry, where I want to live, etc. I can’t choose my parents, or most external circumstances. I can try to prolong my life as long as possible through healthy habits but ultimately I will die someday and there is no control over that.

28. What is freedom?

The ability to make your own decisions and live your life the way you want to live it.

29. Isn’t one person’s terrorist another person’s freedom fighter?

Yes, because people are sometimes on opposing sides.

30. Does nature shape our personalities more than nurture?

They both play a large role in personality. I suppose nature a little more than nurture.

31. What defines you?

Genetics, upbringing, and my unique life experiences.

32. What do people strive for after enlightenment?

Not sure. What does it even mean to be “enlightened?” I suppose it’s different for everyone. I guess they strive for an even greater degree of enlightenment? Or help others achieve enlightenment?

33. Do we have a soul?

No idea.

34. What is intelligence?

The ability to understand, to reason, to grasp concepts, to learn things and apply that knowledge to various context.

35. Do you make your own decisions, or let others make them for you?

I make my own decisions taking into account the knowledge and expertise of others as a guide.

36. What is reality?

That which we can sense or ‘prove’ through scientific research. Sometimes what we see is an illusion though, like a mirage. I suppose science comes closer and closer to defining reality as more information comes in but we never have absolute certainty.

37. Is trust more important than love?

I don’t know. I do think trust is needed first before I can truly love someone. The reverse isn’t necessarily true. There are plenty of people I trust but don’t truly love.

38. Is it easier to love or be loved?

I’m not sure. Ideally, love would be reciprocal. Someone loves you and you love them back. It doesn’t always work that way. You can love someone and they don’t love you and that really stings. Or someone could love you but you don’t love them back. Personally, I would prefer the latter situation as you don’t have to deal with heartbreak but there is still the awkwardness of conveying this to the other person and not hurting them.

39. Is it better to love and lose or never to love?

Probably better to have loved and lost because you are living a fulfilling and meaningful life but in practice I tend to avoid relationships if there is a high likelihood that I will just lose it. I’m very afraid of rejection.

40. Do aliens exist?

Of course! There are lots of people in this country who are not citizens. Oh, you mean the extraterrestrial kind of alien. We don’t know yet but I think there’s a good chance there is some sort of life on other planets.

·
Registered
3,277 Posts
Ne ego is very clear :p

I found it interesting you said we need to use science to see reality :p

So I'm going to say LII fits overall.

Reactions: The Exception

·
Registered
3,301 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Anyone else wanna guess?

I really should take my type out of my profile and sig. So as not to bias things. (but I don't want to go through the hassle of putting it back later).

Actually, when I go back to read my post, some of it sounds quite EII.

·
Registered
1,533 Posts

Reactions: The Exception

·
Registered
3,277 Posts
Anyone else wanna guess?

I really should take my type out of my profile and sig. So as not to bias things. (but I don't want to go through the hassle of putting it back later).

Actually, when I go back to read my post, some of it sounds quite EII.
Which parts sound EII to you?

·
Registered
3,301 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Which parts sound EII to you?
Questions 2, 5, 12, 15, 37, 38, and 39 in particular.

#2 sounds like a combination of Ti and Fi. Both fair and ethical were emphasized.

What makes me doubt EII though are my responses to 16 and 18. My sense of morality is more flexible and context dependent. I have a feeling an EII with Fi base would have a more fixed sense of morality. Not sure.

·
Registered
3,277 Posts
Questions 2, 5, 12, 15, 37, 38, and 39 in particular.

#2 sounds like a combination of Ti and Fi. Both fair and ethical were emphasized.

What makes me doubt EII though are my responses to 16 and 18. My sense of morality is more flexible and context dependent. I have a feeling an EII with Fi base would have a more fixed sense of morality. Not sure.

OK, for q 5, can you explain how you do this when you don't just follow the rules to ensure a fair and ethical solution?

Q 12 doesn't look Fi to me at all. Explain what you saw as Fi in it?

I don't see q 15 as a Fi approach either, more Fe oriented. You're not focusing on your own attitude but on the feelings of the other person towards you.

Q 37 can pass as Fi role too. You aren't even sure about the correct answer. Not very strong Fi there and I could also frame it as Fe DS.

Q 38 and 39 seem Fe over Fi in the same way q 15 did.

As for the ones you thought weren't Fi. Yup, q 16 also seems Fe oriented with Ne in it. And lol, q 18, that's actually the one where I'm more inflexible than you are about it. If I consider something in a certain way (say, I see the act as not fair), that doesn't depend on whether others know about it. I don't connect it to the issue of guilt at all either, which does sound like you'd have higher Fi than me or this isn't type related.

Will you also explain this answer of yours more:

"That which we can sense or ‘prove’ through scientific research. Sometimes what we see is an illusion though, like a mirage. I suppose science comes closer and closer to defining reality as more information comes in but we never have absolute certainty."

Why are you into science for this? This to me seems logic in ego, but let's hear more details on this.

·
Registered
3,277 Posts

·
Registered
3,301 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
@myst

I thought I already answered #8 .

I'm not completely sure of LII because I never think total 100% certainty is possible. I do believe in a very high probability of LII>

·
Registered
3,277 Posts

·
Registered
3,277 Posts
Reactions: SheWolf
1 - 15 of 15 Posts