Personality Cafe banner
1 - 20 of 36 Posts

·
Registered
110 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi! I got curious about this question because I realized ALL of my friends are NF's. Not that I have many of them :th_sur: but I still found it SUPER interesting.
I am probably INFJ and my close friends are one INFJ, three INFP's, an ENFJ and an ENFP (among these best friends ENFJ and INFP). Also looking back even my close friends from school were NF's. I just realized it when I discovered mbti and sent the tests to all of them and later discussed the profiles with them.
So, is there any pattern in your friends' types?

·
Registered
1,487 Posts
I think there is no pattern, I might lean a bit more towards extroverts (introverts frustrate me sometimes) but nah. Some close(-ish) friends are an ENTJ, 2x ESFJ, 4x ESFP, 4x INFP, an ESTP, an ISFP, an ENFP, and EXFP and an INTP.

(What the hell, I have 16 friends I consider somewhat close? Didn't know that)

·
Registered
3 Posts
Let's see...
My 2 best friends are INTP & ESTP.
My brother, who is also my best friend, is an ESTP.
A good college friend of mine is an INFP.
Coworkers (who I also consider friends) are ESTJ, ESFP, and ISFP.

I see no pattern here. My Fe let me adapt with others very easily regardless of types.

·
Registered
3,767 Posts
Best friend until high school: ESFP
Good friends during high school: ISTJ, ESFJ, ENFP

·
Registered
593 Posts
I'm an INFJ and my friends are.... ISFP x2, ENFP x3, INFJ, INTP, lots of INTJS. I've also met a lot of extroverts lately though I can't type them, just yet. :)

·
Registered
ENTP 6w7-9w8-3w4 so/sx
798 Posts
Well, most of my friends (people I actually talk to on a regular/semi-regular basis outside of classes and such) are introverts. Most of them are Feelers as well. I have/had a total of about five Thinker friends throughout my life (not counting family). Types are: ISFJ (2), ESFJ (supposedly, but I'm reassessing), ENFP, INFJ (unsure), INFP, ESFP, ISTJ (2), INTJ (unsure), INTP. There's a lot of people I'm missing because they were my friends long before I knew about MBTI, and I don't think I remember enough to retroactively type them.

I guess it makes sense. My relationships with Feelers tend to develop faster than with Thinkers because they (or at least the Fs I know) are more sociable than the Ts and open up more easily. A lot of my interactions with other Ts consists of bantering, intellectual discussion, or discussions about shared interests; they're much more hesitant to talk about personal things so it takes longer for me to feel close to them. They're also often a lot slower to become more responsive to me; they tend to be slightly (or very) weirded out when I'm in a more playful, spontaneous, off-the-wall kind of mood and don't seem to know how to respond, more just spectating and being kind of baffled but amused while I run my mouth (that might have something to do with most of them being ITJs. The INTP I know returns my play, though it took a bit of time to become familiar with each other's sense of humour). I'm an ENTP, by the way.

·
Registered
90 Posts
Interestingly, my closest friends have very similar personalities to me. One is a female ISFJ, the other a female ISTJ. They have influenced me more than I care to admit! We get along really well. I actually don't have any good friends who are Ni/Ne.

·
Registered
4w5
1,535 Posts
I have only two friends in school. One is an ENFJ, another is an INFP. We are not that close any longer, but still, I tend to attract NFs and TJs a lot. My best friend of four years (online) is an ENFJ who fluxuate between ENFJ and xSTP. I had a very long and strong friendship with an ENFP some years ago, but in the end, our relationship became quite unhealthy and we have no contact anymore.

I think my strongest relationship right now is with my partner, an INTP. We are both NPs, which means we can easily connect through our ideas and random thoughts. We often share many ideas and thoughts, but our way of judging things is different because of Ti vs Fi.

My friendship with the ENFP became slowly more and more unhealthy because we were both in a very Fi-Si loop which made us grow angry and hateful towards each other in the end. ENFPs and INFPs can be similar in many ways. I think we were too busy with our own feelings to notice each other in the end. Sometimes, a friendship can be too close. I felt like I could not breathe, and I think she felt the same.

The friendship I have now, with an ENFJ at school, is mostly based on smiling and being friendly to each other. I used to feel intrigued by her, but now, I do not feel that way. I can feel that I am slowly growing more and more tired of "pretending". She is not a shallow person, but she comes off and behaves shallow at school. I don't know why she does this. I can't get close to her because of this, and I have given up in trying. I have no interest in forcing myself to be friends with someone, and our friendship really has felt quite forced for a very long time. I never felt it was real. I don't know how to explain.

·
Registered
375 Posts
I think my five closest friends are: INFJ (x2), INTP, INFP, ISFP

In my experience, I tend to gel best with NFs, then SPs, then NTs. And I think I just spend more time with introverts

·
Registered
1,343 Posts
best friend is INFP
1 ENTP
3 ESFJs
1 INTP
1 ISFJ
1 ISTJ
2 ESFPs
2 ISFPs
1 INFJ
+ others I haven't realized which type they are yet

·
Registered
1,687 Posts
Obviously can't type every friend or acquaintance I have, but here are types of some of the people that I'm close too: INTP, ISTP (identifies as INTP, but obvious Se user going by functions), ESFP, two ISTJs, xNTJ, INFJ (could also be ISFJ), two ESTJs, two INFPs.

·
Registered
110 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Thanks for the answers! There are some really interesting tendencies. I also got really surprised at how many friends some of you have! I have 5, 6 friends at most in any time of my life (they are usually the same lol) and among them 2/3 people I would consider close.
The friendship I have now, with an ENFJ at school, is mostly based on smiling and being friendly to each other. I used to feel intrigued by her, but now, I do not feel that way. I can feel that I am slowly growing more and more tired of "pretending". She is not a shallow person, but she comes off and behaves shallow at school. I don't know why she does this.
I have a similar experience with my ENFJ best friend. When she is with groups she behaves like a " silly" extroverted girl if you know what I mean. When we are in one-to-one though she talks about her life and talks about deep stuff. I have no idea why she acts like that when she is with her groups of friends. If I had met her like that we would never have become friends, gladly it was in a one-to-one basis.

·
Registered
101 Posts
My best friend is INTP, my brother who I also consider my best friend is INTJ. My other close friends are 2 ESTPs, 2 ENFJs, 1 INTJ, 1 INFJ and one ENTX.

The ESTP friendships were very unnatural at first and almost forced due to circumstance, but now we are very close and the bond seems strong to me. The reason I think my ENTX friend and I have become so close is because she will listen easily but when I'm done will tell me the exact truth no matter how hurtful some may consider it, I appreciate and value her candor immensely. On a less serious note she is really fun to be around! INFJ and INTJ friendships come the most naturally to me and the conversations on the theoretical are amazing! ENFJs alway seem to better me and keep me in a good frame of mind, they are also exceedingly good at bringing me out of my shell. My INTP best friend and I have been best friends since I was 2, so no idea what they initial draw was, but we are both very loyal and have very deep conversations fairly easily.

·
Registered
105 Posts
Hmm.. I haven't actually tried typing that many of my friends, nor have I asked them about it. The ones I know are two INTJ friends, an ISFJ, an ENFJ, and another one friend I suspect is an ESFP, but I'm much closer to the INTJs (one of them being my platonic soul mate).

·
Registered
503 Posts
J types. I can't handle P types. When I make plans, I make plans, I can't deal with people who change their mind an hour before we are supposed to meet. :/

other than that...I'm mostly friends with Sensors. STJs and SFJs mainly, both extroverted and introverted. I've only met iNtuitives the last few years, interestingly.

·
Registered
1,549 Posts
Of my closest friends, one is INFJ, one is INTP, and one is possibly an INFJ, but I'm not entirely sure. I've also had a few close ISFJ friends, but I'm not really in touch with them anymore.
Other friends I've had have been ENFP, INFP, a few other INTPs (I've noticed recently that a lot of the people I find I can talk to easily and really relate to are INTPs), an ESFP (at least I think that's what he is. Definitely an Enneagram 7, and seems pretty Se dom to me), an ISTJ, an ENTP (not entirely sure, though, but he kind of fits the profile), an ISTP, an INTJ, a few ENFJs...I seem to be able to make friends with lots of different kinds of people, but my really close friends tend to be other IN types.

·
Registered
4,095 Posts
All of my friends are NFs, with a few NTs. Also, all my family members that I'm actually close to are N-types.

My BEST friend though is an ISFP! ISFP's are so awesome and I'm really lucky I got be close friends with one.

One time I was sort of friends with an ESFJ. It went okay I guess. Yeah, basically... I'm TERRIBLE at making friends with S-types. I adore SP's especially ISP's but I usually have the hardest time finding anything to talk about with them. I feel so self-conscious around them because I feel like nothing I say is interesting to them and vice versa. They just make me feel like I'm really weird...

·
Registered
427 Posts
ENTJ here, best friends would be ENFP, INTJx3, INFJ and INFPs generally.

·
Registered
656 Posts
I can only open up and talk with intuitives. I have a hard time communicating with sensors. I make a comment, and they take it in a way I didn't intend. And the stuff they talk about are things I have no interest in.

1 - 20 of 36 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.