Personality Cafe banner

1 - 20 of 30 Posts

·
Banned
3,624 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
1. What is truly worthwhile to you in this life (not necessarily what you have obtained now but what you think is)? for example, finding a group of worthwhile people? discovering something no one else has ever discovered? creating a family? learning to love? finding purpose?

2. Elaborate on what the term "worthwhile" might mean to you (i.e. how do you interpret the word). What makes something "worthwhile"? what makes something valuable?

3. What do you think is not worthwhile or valuable in this life? what are some things you do because you have to, but you don't believe they are worth your time, or important at all? for example, working. What would you replace these things with?

4. How do you apply what you think is worthwhile to your own life? (for example, do you lead an "alternate lifestyle"? do you try to get away from whatever trappings you disagree with?)

5. How difficult do you think it is to create a life maximising what is valuable and minimising what is not valuable to you? how does one do this in the first place? does it come at a cost? is the struggle worth it anyway?

·
Banned
3,624 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
for me - life itself is the most worthwhile thing
I share a similar perspective.

Does this recognition shape how you go about life and your own wellbeing? is this your overwhelming perspective of living? that everything is an act of living and therefore is inherently valuable to you, regardless of what it is?

·
Registered
663 Posts
having gone through a rollercoaster year with lots of ups and downs and being close to the edge of ending it all I came to the conclusion that despite all the hardships life IS the only thing we have. Sadly there are many things and people which can drag you down. For me survival is first but living a meaningful life is the next priority. I am currently in survival mode but frustrated that I know I am NOT living with meaning. For most people survival and 'making do' are the ONLY things I want more in life

·
Banned
3,624 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
having gone through a rollercoaster year with lots of ups and downs and being close to the edge of ending it all I came to the conclusion that despite all the hardships life IS the only thing we have. Sadly there are many things and people which can drag you down. For me survival is first but living a meaningful life is the next priority. I am currently in survival mode but frustrated that I know I am NOT living with meaning. For most people survival and 'making do' are the ONLY things I want more in life
So do you think living life with a bit more meaning by default, involves risking the comfort of a secure life? it interests me how you say survival comes first, and meaning is second. What is the difference between a lifestyle where survival and making do are the greatest (and often times end) goals, and a lifestyle incorporating what is meaningful and valued to a person?

If you are in survival mode, how do you go about creating more meaning? do you expect there to be a trade off in security and comfort in the advent that you ventured out of pure survival mode?

·
exploring space
10,118 Posts
Well, I think what's most important for me is to connect deeply with a few people, my family, boyfriend and a couple of friends, maybe even have kids in the future. Loving in general. I just believe that making the lives of others better is what matters most and leaves something important to be remembered by. I would also like to help animals through organizations maybe or hospitals, but it's not my priority right now.
Besides that, I would like to learn a lot of things about the world through science and maybe even pass the knowledge, but the teaching profession is a bit intimidating for me, so I'll see about that.

·
Registered
2,835 Posts
I think friends are one of the most worthwhile things, I think they are one of the center points of my life.

Family is probably the most worthwhile thing. I think in the end everything will come second to family.

Finding a girlfriend would be worthwhile. I think everyone needs relationships to learn about themselves and also if you have a good one it can help in so many ways.

Success in career and schooling is worthwhile because you get the satisfaction of accomplishment and can get into a career you want.

Helping those who need it is very worthwhile, because it alleviates the pain and problems of others.

Anger, hate, bitterness, contempt, arrogance and all other negative emotions are not worthwhile because they only cause harm.

I live an alternative lifestyle which i find helps me do the things I find worthwhile. Its good because you don't follow the crowd which helps you make your own decisions. For example I never buy meat and eat it as little as possible, although I still do eat it at home because of family pressure and ive done other things which didn't fit into society but i knew were right.

·
Registered
15,626 Posts
Oooooooo.. good questions. This is my place-holder to come back tonight and answer what is right for me.

·
Registered
3,190 Posts
Contributing for the good. Possessing our human perspective, I'd like to put it to use for something useful. I mean, everything existant experiences things. If we're bound to experience things by nature, why not give back to it with some of these talents we humans posess?

·
Registered
663 Posts
So do you think living life with a bit more meaning by default, involves risking the comfort of a secure life? it interests me how you say survival comes first, and meaning is second. What is the difference between a lifestyle where survival and making do are the greatest (and often times end) goals, and a lifestyle incorporating what is meaningful and valued to a person?

If you are in survival mode, how do you go about creating more meaning? do you expect there to be a trade off in security and comfort in the advent that you ventured out of pure survival mode?
my intellectual side of me knows that I should be content with a survival lifestyle (I will try to find time to post my real dilemma) after all there are millions of people starving in the world homeless etc etc. I should be happy with what I have got ...BUT another part of me knows I'm not living to my potential and just part of the 'rat race' by default

·
Cafe Legend and MOTM Jan 2011
15,420 Posts
Love is the only thing that really matters.

Reactions: susurration

·
Registered
313 Posts
1. What is truly worthwhile to you in this life (not necessarily what you have obtained now but what you think is)? for example, finding a group of worthwhile people? discovering something no one else has ever discovered? creating a family? learning to love? finding purpose?
I think learning to be happy would be something worthwhile..
I don't think I've been truly happy since I was like, five.
And also actually loving someone.. every "relationship" I've ever had with anyone has been pretty fake.
I only have two friends I genuinely like.
And also, I'd like to have a career I actually feel good about.

·
Registered
444 Posts

2. Elaborate on what the term "worthwhile" might mean to you (i.e. how do you interpret the word). What makes something "worthwhile"? what makes something valuable?

3. What do you think is not worthwhile or valuable in this life? what are some things you do because you have to, but you don't believe they are worth your time, or important at all? for example, working. What would you replace these things with?

4. How do you apply what you think is worthwhile to your own life? (for example, do you lead an "alternate lifestyle"? do you try to get away from whatever trappings you disagree with?)

5. How difficult do you think it is to create a life maximising what is valuable and minimising what is not valuable to you? how does one do this in the first place? does it come at a cost? is the struggle worth it anyway?

I agree with the previous posts..its life. Anything that I get value out of is worthwhile. Be that emotional, physical, intellectual or social value. And on the contrary, anything that doesn't give me a good value is not worthwhile and I drop it. That can be friends, jobs, activities, things..as far as applying it, I just follow my feelings. I push away from those that just don't feel like they're worth it. I don't think its too difficult for me maximizing the worthwhile stuff, but sometimes I have a hard time pushing out those worthless peeps and such.

·
Registered
663 Posts
I think learning to be happy would be something worthwhile..
I don't think I've been truly happy since I was like, five.
And also actually loving someone.. every "relationship" I've ever had with anyone has been pretty fake.
I only have two friends I genuinely like.
And also, I'd like to have a career I actually feel good about.
me too. I dont think I've been steadily happy since I was 11

·
Registered
15,626 Posts
Oooooooo.. good questions. This is my place-holder to come back tonight and answer what is right for me.
I didn't have a chance to add more last night so I do a quickie here...

...what is worthwhile -- or what do I feel is right to invest my time and energy in?

1. My family.
2. Me.
3. Knowledge/learning
4. Fun.
5. Life.

·
Registered
25 Posts
I may be misunderstanding other peoples' responses to this, but they sound quite selfish for an INFP. For me, personally, a life is meaningful only in service to others. What are we if we just live for ourselves but another 1 in the 100 billion people that have lived? Making positive contributions to other peoples lives means you transcend yourself. That for me has always been the measure of the success of my life.

·
Registered
3,610 Posts
Having friends and family is worthwhile. Being able to be creative and artistic and have an outlet for those forces is worthwhile. Loving and being loved is worthwhile. Feeling like I am making spiritual and artistic progress is worthwhile. Finding happiness is worthwhile. Living, in and of itself, is worthwhile.

Something is worthwhile if it is important to me to incorporate it into my life, making me feel more at peace with my life, happier, and feeling like I am either becoming more of my deepest self or helping others to become more of their deepest self. Also meeting basic survival needs is worthwhile because that is necessary to keep life going and I also view life itself as worthwhile.

Being rich is not worthwhile, having tons of acquaintances you aren't close enough to call friends isn't worthwhile. I can't really think of anything I do that I don't view as worthwhile. Maybe my tendency to be anxious and worry isn't worthwhile -- it doesn't do me any good or make my life (or anyone else's) better in any way. My obsessing isn't worthwhile, either, but I don't know how to stop it. If I could replace my anxiety and obsessing with other things (of enjoyment, or improving my life or the life of others in some way) I would.

I try to do creative endeavors daily, be kind and stay in contact with family and friends, do activities that I enjoy, and work on making myself a happier person overall through trying to lead a healthier, more balanced lifestyle where I am also accomplishing various goals. When I'm mentally well enough I like to volunteer, since I think helping others is worthwhile.

I think how difficult or easy it is to maximize value in a life depends on each person and their life circumstances. Deciding what you value and how you can keep those values in your heart when you go about your daily life is how I imagine most people would have to start. For some people work or illness might get in the way of maximizing value in your life. The struggle to maximize worth is worth it to me because I feel my life is more authentically mine and I am using my time on earth well.

1 - 20 of 30 Posts