Personality Cafe banner

Your choice character class in D&D - all versions

• Fighter-like (including monks)

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Rogue-like (thief, bards, rangers)

Votes: 2 11.1%
  • Mage-like (all from wild wizards to little fairies)

Votes: 4 22.2%
  • Strong race-tied character (vampires, celestials)

Votes: 1 5.6%
  • Strong alignment-tied ones (paladins, black guard)

• Faithful characters (clerics and stuff)

• Mixed classes / multiclasses

Votes: 3 16.7%
  • Your personally designed and developed class

Votes: 2 11.1%
  • You 'played' the Master, most of times

• Never played

• Other (you MUST explain this)

What is/was your choice character in D&D

[INTJ] 
6K views 9 replies 9 participants last post by  geGamedev 
#1 ·
You know you are an INTJ when you spend time on creating a Dungeons and Dragons Character Sheet in LaTeX using many of its advanced features. For fun. And then can't be bothered to upload it on the Internet.
This post ringed so true it gave me and idea.

First, I am sure most of INTJs played D&D at least once..then probably moved on more complex rpgs but still, I am expecting a fine number of responses.

non- INTJ are welcomed of course, but for statistics' sake I ask you to post your vote if you partecipate, along with type, and leave anonymous votes for INTJs. thanks

Now, mods, I am firing my first poll here so lend me a hand if I make a mess of this -_-

oh, and, please, do NOT transform this in a 'which version of D&D was the best ever' thread :p

#2 ·
I usually am the DM, DMed one group for 4 times a week, 5 years, got there characters to deep epic.

Anyhow, if I play, I normally play a Mage, as I like the resource management that 3.5 Edition requires. I've played a Male Human Necromancer, with a Spectral Loremaster class from a 3rd party source book, and a Female Grey Elf Loremaster. I have also played a Male Human Paladin, with a very low int, a religious zealot of St. Cuthbert. Really cool character as he was in almost every sense my polar opposite. Currently playing Female Human Cleric of Heironeus, with the aim for a gish build (fighter/cleric). It's a 2-people group, and the other person really wanted to play a spellsword-like character, so I decided to be the Cleric.

Stuff I would like to play is a swashbuckler-like fighter, you know, fast, flashy, backstabby with nasty sharp swords.

Stuff I likely will never play is a straight-out fighter or barbarian, a sorceror (the simple resource management isn't for me, strongly prefer the mage), or a monk.

In general, I do considerable powerplaying, but not to the absurd munchkin-extreme. Let's call it "efficient". Oh, and those who claim a paladin is weak: the exceptional saves, especially in a high-magic campaign, combined with a lance and ride-by attack, and good use of the smite are pretty strong.

<disengage extreme geek mode>

#3 ·
the other person really wanted to play a spellsword-like character, so I decided to be the Cleric.
...well knowing that it MUST be a cleric in every party (my only reason for playing one when I took it)

I was the master almost everytime too...when I actually played I did choose rogues or/end multiclasses because I like to play more versatile than powerful...I am a bordering INTP sometimes :p)

NOTE: given that not every would-be player in the world may be granted the lucky access to physical companions and a table, if you ask...YES, all Black Isle's games count for this poll

#5 ·
I usually played the knower/talker/organizer type characters. Merchants, diplomats, strategists and ambassadors. I played unarmed, non fighting characters, and I did the talking and planning.

Second choice: Mage, sneaker.

Studies of brain activity show that fantasizing and imagining scenarios develop the same areas of the brain that are developed by actual action. Not as effectively, but development nonetheless.

Based on this, the several thousand hours I have spent solving fictional political puzzles might have actually contributed a little bit to my strategic thinking.

When I found out my little past time could have at least some real life application, I became glad. I could at last justify my silly favourite pasttime.

#10 ·
I have yet to play a D&D game in paper form, despite having a stack of books for it, but I do play a lot of D&D based digital games. As long as the game doesn't make it impossible to play, I'm almost always some blend of magic-user and rogue. Basically, my character concept is always to have as free to act as possible. A darker version of Robin Hood, an arcane ninja, or just some guy that really likes going places he doesn't belong. Usually an Elf, Half-Elf, or Halfling. My alignment is usually somewhere between, and including, True Neutral and Chaotic Good.

Studies of brain activity show that fantasizing and imagining scenarios develop the same areas of the brain that are developed by actual action. Not as effectively, but development nonetheless.

Based on this, the several thousand hours I have spent solving fictional political puzzles might have actually contributed a little bit to my strategic thinking.
Too bad that doesn't apply well to art skills and such. I've created numerous settings and other fictional craziness in my head but lack the abilities needed to share them properly with others. Programming is where I shine, not art... It's so annoying!

#6 ·
Been playing D&D for over 15 years now and you can find me playing Dungeons&Dragons Online.
Haven't been to PnP for a bit but in DDO, I usualy play either a mix of ranger/fighter or Barbarian/Fighter and I play exclusively drow.
My other character is a sorcerer but I play her rarely as all players usually want from her is buffs and get all pissed because she's CC+DPS instead of a buff-bot.

Due to some demand among my DDO friends (real life friends), I'm busy making a NWN module based on the Eberron setting so that we can have some decent RP sessions with our beloved characters. DDO is too fast paced for us to have time to RP unless we park at a tavern or Inn.

#9 ·
Okay, after Beth came in, I'm going to have to comment here.

In D&D, as a general rule, I'll follow one of a few select paths. Mostly I'll play Sneaky types, with a strong Minor in Strong Heavy-hitters. Whilst I've never played a pure Fighter (too many prestige classes to explore), my Clerics have been combat focused. I'd say my favorite character is an halfling rogue.

In RPs in general, my favorite character of all time was a tough-as-nails Space Marine, who was a trained medic and hacked government mainframes in her spare time. I miss Rayanne...

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.