Personality Cafe banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
3,262 Posts
Hmmm, I used to get really upset when people didn't like me. Which made school rather tough, because I wasn't actually excessively well liked. Then, one day, somewhere between the ages 19-21 I located a switch marked "giving a shit" deep within my personality. I switched it off, and I've never looked back since. :)

·
Registered
4,683 Posts
What @Paradox1987 said.

Also, I think it's about being comfortable with yourself and who you are. I used to worry about people liking me because I felt different and didn't like myself deep down because of it. In high school I was "too hyper", "talked too much", "too loud", "annoying", etc. etc. by those who weren't in my circle of friends. People who knew me seemed to get me better.
Anyway, when I heard these things, I started to believe them. Once I accepted myself for who I am, my give a damn was busted...Aka, I flipped the "give a shit" switch :)

·
Registered
3,783 Posts
It's only natural to want to be liked, I think. I have (and always have had) a pretty intense need to be liked...And to have that 'like' laid out in front of me, because unless someone directly says things to me that mean they like me as a person, I go crazy in my head thinking they probably really hate me. I am a needy and neurotic little thing sometimes, even when I know on some level that it's just me being ridiculous.

As others have said, I've gotten better about it with age (not that I am at a wise-old-age yet by any means). It's also transitioned a bit. Not everyone is going to like me, and I'm learning to be okay with that, but I do want everyone to respect me. Which is a bit different, and much more genuine. I have a great amount of respect for some people that I don't necessarily like. Respect is more about integrity and honesty and truth. Which are things that I'm only valuing more and more as I grow older.

·
Registered
1,137 Posts
I don't have that need for everyone. *classify... grouping...*

If I like you it sucks that you dont like me but after a while I wont like you because you must really suck to not like me :D
There may be a rare occasion where I question my self worth since you dont like me. I may think I am a bad person after all.. But that doesnt last long and eventually you end up in the disregard group.

If I dont regard you I could care less what you think about me. i wont even notice and if I do it will be like dust off my shoulders lol..

If I hate you and you dont like me it will be most amusing. especially if I can tick you off. Eventually this takes too much energy and when I get bored of you eventually you will end up in the disregard group

·
Registered
9,800 Posts
It could stem from old age :p although i don't take notice of those things any more. I think the desire to be liked and the need are two different things. When we focus too much on the need, and less of the want, it can drive you crazy. I don't pay attention to those who don't seem to approve of me, because i don't need their approval. Try and focus on what you can have instead of what you can't have. In a perfect world we would all be appreciated by everyone, this isn't a perfect world. Like a few others have pointed out " turn on the i don't give a shit button " because at the end of the day, these people don't really matter, they are simply ghosts.

·
Registered
2,027 Posts
It use to hurt me too, but as I've grown up, the number of haters have increased. And if I keep thinking of each and every hater, then I won't even get the adequate minute to pee. :p

1 - 7 of 7 Posts