Personality Cafe banner
1 - 20 of 31 Posts

·
Registered
524 Posts
When I have some free time, I just read about anything relating to WW2. More specifically the dictators at the time and their personal lives.

·
Registered
574 Posts
I have nothing particularly good at to speak of lol. I like to read about personality disorders and sicknesses though, I find it intriguing. Also, I like to learn all sorts of stuff like baking, sewing, wood carving, origami and just about any type of arts and craft.

·
Registered
2,929 Posts
Anything related to: cognition and perception, biopsychology/behavioral neuroscience, neuropsychology, and some general medical stuff - I like reading about interesting or rare diseases...that type of thing. Oh and anthropological type topics, more in the direction of cultural and lingustic anthropology over physical anthro.

I also just like general interesting/new knowledge...National Geographic is great for that..my fave magazine!

·
Registered
265 Posts
Many things over the years (with strong 5w4 undertones).

Sports: how top athletes obtain and consistently maintain peak performance; team strategies; performance in the moment; etc.
Science/engineering*: structural dynamics, anything computer science/engineering related, astronomy . . .
Intellectual property*: the legal structure of idea protection, strategies for obtaining and using IP, . . .
Art: photography, artistic expression as communication by visual means, digital technology for image creation . . .
Cognitive theory: how people are hardwired to think, feel, and act they way they do . . .
Religion: theology/philosophy on how mankind got the way it is, and where we are going . . .

* denotes area of expertise, and the rest are highly developed hobbies.

·
MOTM Sept 2014
8,492 Posts
Oh boy, I go through phases. I love psychology, biology, and chemistry. I also love art and literature, and even politics and gender issues from time to time (I think it is important to be well-rounded).

I think my favourite go-to, standby is physics and quantum mechanics though. Gained a huge interest in this back in high school and it is something that I am always seeking new knowledge of. I guess this sort of goes hand in hand with astronomy, too.. so yeah, those.

I love to read a stack of books on quantum theories, sit back, digest ít, then whip out the telescope and start making observations. Ha, good times.

·
Registered
30 Posts
Economics
Business / Management
Psychology
Military History
Philosophy / Theology
Diseases / Disastors
Astronomy
Video Games / Table Top RPGs
Natural History and Extinctions

Those are the top of the general list... but I also mix in "flavor of the month" topics of research which can be pretty much anything.

·
MOTM Sept 2014
8,492 Posts
Do we all have a thing with psychology and diseases?

That would make sense! We love to understand things, and that includes ourselves.

Reactions: Sunn

·
MOTM Sept 2014
8,492 Posts

·
Registered
484 Posts
I've dabbled essentially in what I am sure most people here have. However, my main ones:

Philosophy
Debating (does that count in an INTJ thread lol)
Physics
Aerospace (mainly the clockwork of ancient and old prototypes of flying, have yet to get to modern but intend on soon)
Quantum Mechanics
Psychology/Neuropsychology
Cooking (it's all chemistry and heart)
Story Telling/ Creative writing
Politics
Economics(Macro and Micro)

My newest one I am currently reading up on is business and all of it's components. I intend on running my own business in the near future so it helps to learn as much as I relatively can. I'm coming for YOU, Bill Gates!

Reactions: yarrboots

·
Registered
91 Posts
I've studied psychology before in my free time (i read two textbooks), took an AP Chemistry course (passed the class with a B...didn't do so well on the final exam), I love making and looking at art, and I did some research on how psychotropic drugs affect the human brain for a while, and that fascinates me beyond all else. I definitely want to be a neurologist someday, thanks to that.

·
Registered
67 Posts
"Official" Learning
BS Psychology, Minor Sociology
MA Social Science, Double Major Psychology/Sociology
PhD General Psychology (in progress)
Research Area "Geek Culture"
All degrees have been very heavy in Statistics - I can do my ANOVAs and Multiple Regressions by hand if I choose :)
May pursue a PhD in Sociology and/or an MS in Statistics after this degree.

"Unofficial" Learning
Just glancing around the subject areas of my bookcases...
Classic Literature (Austen, Dickens, poetry, etc)
Geek Literature (scifi, fantasy, etc)
Fine Art
Physics
Social Theory
Sociology (various subfields)
Psychology (various subfields)
Dictionaries
Languages - modern, ancient, fictional
DIY/Gardening/Organization
Animals/Livestock
Criminology
Anthropology
Religion
Intelligence/Giftedness
Education
Philosophy
Research Methods
Statistics

And then there's the encyclopaedias.... I have 3.
My beloved Britannica, a World Book, and a children's science encyclopaedia.

·
Administrator
23,779 Posts
I'm pretty sure it's not BMW electrics. I've spent hours researching what the problem is but in practical terms I'm damn afraid of the spaghetti monster that lurks beyond the dash.

I'm interested in psychology, literature, philosophy and diseases. Not so much maths.....at all.

1 - 20 of 31 Posts