Personality Cafe banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Banned
5,394 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
There are many things in which I learn about and many of them that I think I would be very good at if I truly applied myself and worked through the standard 10,000 hours needed for true mastery. All of these things however, do not truly excite me and they are all just a means to an end and not the end themselves. Psychology/sociology and things like that truly excite me and the 10,000 hours of work to be a true master does not seem like a daunting task but a fun filled adventure for me. I am not a master in these though but I do aim to be one and these are the ends themselves rather than a means. I wish to be like my heroes: L, Sherlock Holmes and Patrick Jane in these areas and to be better than them (yes I do understand that they are fictional characters but I'm still up to the task of trying to be better than them).

The basic thing is that I would like another area that would excite me to the same level and I want to find another area in which I could easily apply the work and the needed motivation to learn to a mastery like level in an additional field. I am looking for something that is not a means to an end but the end itself, just like psychology and everything that I think that belong in that category for me to master.

In the shower I was thinking something along the lines of something more physical, like mechanics and becoming more inventive as I have a passion for lightning which extends into electricity but I'm not sure if it would carry over to becoming an inventor. A secondary question I have is if anybody is in the business or hobby of tinkering with things and inventing new objects and why it is that you enjoy it so much.

The basic primary questions are these:

1) In what areas have you attained a mastery in or wish to attain a mastery in and why.

2) In what areas would you recommend me to look into and why.

·
Registered
13 Posts
I making websites and web apps. I really love it. It is creative (colors, graphics, animations, layouts), but yet still has a practical purpose (at the end there is something that people can actually use). For me, there is nothing better than getting a complement on a web app that I built -- especially when it helps people! Yippie!

I want to start making clothes and furniture building/refurbishing next.

Good luck! I would love to hear what you decide to get in to! :)

EDIT - I forgot to answer your second question...

I think that you should take the time to find your true passions and then pursue them will all of your love and energy. It take time to find your passions, but you are worth it.

If you pursue something with love and passion nothing can stop you (because you will not let anything stop you). I think the world would be a much better place if people spent their time doing things that they love. Follow your passions -- the money will follow.

·
Banned
6,806 Posts
My greatest level of expertise is molecular biology, which was my major. I wouldn't say I'm up to "mastery" level yet (I would need a Ph.D or at least a master's/certifications and years of work experience for that) but I've mastered it about as much as anyone my age has.

I am also quite good at organization and people have told me before that I should be a professional organizer.

Things I want to master include interpersonal skills, writing, and learning how to code.

Being an inventor is a hard and unstable career, and something you can do on the side. You should learn something practical that has wide-ranging applications.

·
Registered
37 Posts
1) In what areas have you attained a mastery in or wish to attain a mastery in and why.

I am a Translator and I studied French for 4 years. I wish I could become an expert at drawing and taking photographs (I am taking photography classes right now). I know I have the skills, I just need to study more and put more energy into them. I would love to design furniture, or clothing maybe, but what bothers me is that I am getting old... :rolleyes: maybe not thaaat old, but... I don't know :dry:

2) In what areas would you recommend me to look into and why.
I would recommend you
bioengineering, I think it has plenty room to create, innovate and think a lot... just my thoughts, since I would like to try it, if I was younger...:bored:

Good luck!!:tongue:

·
Registered
1,090 Posts
Formally:
- M.A. in Performing Arts, due to that, high level of acting, instrumental and vocal skills (and I've easily put in the 10.000 hours on my instruments, because I already played them before I contemplated a formal qualification)
- Postgraduate Diploma in a Natural Science, which was an honest mistake. I hated the job (research) and therefore didn't last long. I was probably still skilled at what I did, but my heart wasn't in it. So mastery - not sure.
- Currently studying Psychology with a Counselling focus part-time. I'd like to gain a deeper understanding, however long that takes. I don't really want to work in that field, it just interests me from a coaching perspective.

I also write fiction and non-fiction, and I speak four languages fluently (I grew up as a bilingual anyway, but I'd say English is the weaker one of the two). Another four languages I dip in and out of: I'd like to get better at those, but I think that's a dream, just too much going on.

Languages - that's what I'd recommend to look into: Learning foreign languages, communicating with people. The art of communication in general.

·
Registered
56 Posts
Edit

I just finished nursing school. I love the medical field but did not want to be a doctor so I figured I may as well go as a nurse to work along side doctors. The operating room is where I want to go although I haven't made it there yet.

The medical field is great - always changing and trying to adapt. Another field that is like that is the technical field like cyber security or programming, but I am dumb as a box of rocks when it comes to computer stuff. I suppose at least I have some job security on my side!

I am finished with school for a while seeing as that i am just tasting my first bit of freedom from it for the first time in 17 some odd years but when I go back I'd like to get into some psychology. I think it would be an interesting set of degrees to have - nursing and psychology.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts