Personality Cafe banner

1 - 20 of 33 Posts

·
Registered
152 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Syncrhonicity = an apparently meaningful coincidence in time of two or more similar or identical events that are causally unrelated.

Share em please! :laughing:

·
Registered
717 Posts
While playing pool with a friend, toward the end of the game only the brown and yellow balls remained. Earlier in the game, my friend had been telling me about an annual football game between her high school and their rival and how this would be the first year she hadn't gone. Maroon and yellow were the school colors. They'd lost seven years in a row, so I told her it was a sign that her school would win, and they did, so I used this to try to convince her that I was psychic, but it didn't really work.

Another time I predicted my cousin would be hit in the head with a basketball, and he was--not surprisingly because we were playing basketball and generally everyone got hit in the head at least once--and all of my cousins decided that I was psychic. :frustrating:

The first might represent synchronicity, but I only remember it because I have always wanted to convince someone that I am psychic. Like Matchbook, I tend to forget synchronous events, mostly because I feel crazy when I start connecting seemingly unrelated events.

·
Registered
152 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
I was driving at some random street
trying to find a street to jog on and was
thinking how this girl named Annie felt about
me. I parked on this street, the front passenger
window was open and out of nowhere
this dog popped up on it's legs and leaned
against the window with it's tongue hanging
out to the side and looked very happy.
It sort of freaked me out so I decided
to pull away and go somewhere else,
but as soon as I started driving off I
heard the owners voice calling it back,
and something pulled me to ask the dog's
name,so I parked the car and walked towards the
owner and as for the name of the dog, all
this time the dog had been jumping on
me playfully, then the owner answered,
"Annie" But what tripped me out was what she said
next. Instead of saying something like, "she's a friendly
dog," the owner said, "she just wants to love you."

Haha trip

·
Registered
717 Posts
"Annie" But what tripped me out was what she said
next. Instead of saying something like, "she's a friendly
dog," the owner said, "she just wants to love you."

Haha trip
Wow! I love that!

Did this happen recently or--can I ask--what happened with Annie?

Reactions: SereneTugBoat

·
Registered
152 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Wow! I love that!

Did this happen recently or--can I ask--what happened with Annie?
Several months ago, we had feelings for each other, we
lost touch for about a year, she emailed me though she had
a boyfriend at this time, our exchange was brief which
left me confused as how she felt about me. I just took
the synchronicity as life answering me in some way.
I never told her cause it would probably weird her out or
make her think I was nuts.

·
Registered
717 Posts
Several months ago, we had feelings for each other, we
lost touch for about a year, she emailed me though she had
a boyfriend at this time, our exchange was brief which
left me confused as how she felt about me. I just took
the synchronicity as life answering me in some way.
I never told her cause it would probably weird her out or
make her think I was nuts.
I think you're right about life answering you.

How you felt when you heard "she just wants to love you," how you reacted to and related it, says a lot.

Reactions: SereneTugBoat

·
Registered
6,993 Posts
When I was having a rough time a long time ago, I had listened to the song,''Center of Attention'' by Jackson Waters.

''I would wait a lifetime...I would wait a lifetime for you..''

I felt deeply connected to the song but I didn't know that part of my life would turn out that way. And half of my life turned out that way.

Does that count as synchronicity?

·
Registered
152 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
I think you're right about life answering you.

How you felt when you heard "she just wants to love you," how you reacted to and related it, says a lot.
I froze and was in awe at the same time.
Synchronicities have a very distinct quality about them where something
external has such deep reasonance with the person.
She never got back to me and I had to take into account that she was in a relationship,
so in a sense, I've accepted that it may have just have
been a synchronistic glimpse of her inner world.

I miss her terribly but feel that whatever happens
will happen and the other way around.

I've had other synchronicities about her as well.

·
Registered
152 Posts
Discussion Starter #10 (Edited)
When I was having a rough time a long time ago, I had listened to the song,''Center of Attention'' by Jackson Waters.

''I would wait a lifetime...I would wait a lifetime for you..''

I felt deeply connected to the song but I didn't know that part of my life would turn out that way. And half of my life turned out that way.

Does that count as synchronicity?
In my experience, synchronicities have always played out
almost simultaneously, meaning a thought aligns with
something external event shortly after.

I dunno.
The the thought of picking a song, which would
later play out in your life could possibly be a synchronicity.
The most important question is NOT whether or not anybody
thinks it is, the question is how do you feel about it?
When a synchronicity occurs, you will know it. It
can be so striking.

For example,
My friend and I were walking down a street, talking,
and he suddenly stopped, looked down, as if he had just
seen a ghost. I asked him what happened. He said
he was thinking of a coworker whose last name was
Noble as he got out of the car and, after a minute or so, looked down
and suddenly saw Noble written on the ground in front of his feet.
I looked down and was tripping out after he told me.

·
Registered
77 Posts
I dunno if this is a synchronicity or whatetver but I'll post it anyway 'cause it was freaky.

My mom and I were on the beach at night talking about things that scare us. She mentioned that she had read this Stephen King book that was scary but she didn't tell me what it was about and I had never read it. We were having a pretty deep conversation but I won't even get into that... the important part is that at some point I pointed out that a big clump of sea grass and stuff on the beach looked like the top of a giant frog's head poking out of the ground in the dark, and I have such a vivid imagination that just imagining that myself mait's hard to explain but that's what our conversation was about). When I said that, my mom got all freaked out because apparently in the Stephen King book she had just read, there was a guy at the beach and he was being chased by giant frogs on the beach. And I had just seen a "giant frog" on the beach. It was freaky because it seemed totally random - who think about frogs at the beach? And I hadn't even known what the book was about. Also, there was a creepy looking boat out on the ocean that was really bright and looked like it was slowly getting closer, which was apparently also part of the same Stephen King book.

·
Registered
375 Posts
SereneTugBoat, your Annie story is absolutely awesome. I love it, I almost cried.

I thought of one synchronous event that occured several years ago. My cousin and I were at some little get-together event outdoors at the local college, and we were walking around on one of the sidewalks. I'm not sure what we were doing exactly, but I remember that I had the phrase, "Crouching Tiger, Hidden Dragon," leap into my mind from the shadows, and just as it did, my cousin said out loud, "Crouching Tiger! Hidden Dragon!" What I do remember is that what we were talking about prior to this had absolutely nothing to do with this phrase, because when he said it, I was aghast, and I jumped up and down and said, "I swear, I was just thinking those words!" He said, "Yeah right, you are kidding me." He knew I had tried to pull a few psychic stunts on him in the past (some of them very successful). But I said, "No I promise you, just before you said that, those words flashed through my mind." I was so wide-eyed, and I was flailing around so much that he believed me.

·
Banned
1,987 Posts
I called my best friend when I was in Junior High to discuss ideas for a book we were writing, but I got a busy signal. A second later he called and he said he'd just tried to call me, but I was apparently calling him. If that weren't enough, I asked him what he called for, and he said it was for some book ideas -- I asked him his idea and it was the same as mine!

:shocked:

·
Registered
112 Posts
i was at a really big outdoor concert once with a couple of friends, and we were all sitting on the lawn in the middle of this crowd of 80,000 people during setbreak. the lights were on and just about everyone was sitting down. so i left to go to the bathroom, thinking it would be easier to find my way back if i could see. on the way back, i was sortof walking in circles, and looking everywhere, and not having any luck finding anyone, and all of a sudden the lights go down, the band walks out on stage and everyone immediately stands up of course. so i stopped walking, thinking i'd have to wait until the end of the show to find my friends, and as soon as i stopped, i was standing right next to them, and they just greeted me all casual like. :tongue:

·
Registered
3 Posts
I fell in love with my ENFJ friend last spring, and around this same time, a month after I first met her and when I fell in love with her, 3 coincidences happened between us.
The first time, we were eating dinner, and out of the blue she asked me, "Do you know what I'm going to eat in Mongolia when I go there?" Because she's going to study abroad in Mongolia at the end of this school year. And I sat there for a second, then calmly replied, "yak!", which had popped into my head out of absolutely nowhere. And she exclaimed "How did you know?" I have absolutely no idea how I knew. I don't know anything about what people eat in Mongolia.
The second time, we were sitting in her car waiting to pick someone up. We were a little stoned, and I was picking music on her iPod. She said, "Do you know which song you should play?!?" And as she said the word "Do", right at the beginning of her sentence but after she had started it, I pressed the play button on a certain song, and it was exactly the song she had in mind. It wasn't something that we'd been talking about listening to or anything, either. Both of these two times it was like I could read her mind.
The third time, I was helping her clean out her dorm room at the end of the school year. She found a little box of rice candy and asked if I wanted it, and I said sure, but she said I had to give her the free 'children's sticker' that was inside. I ate the candy and took out the sticker, and before I unfolded it, she said, "wait, let me see it." She unfolded it and said, "ooooooh, you shouldn't have let me have it." And showed me the sticker. And it was a cartoon of an animal or something, with the word WHY? written above it in capital letters. And the name of our favorite band is WHY?, written like that. It was the reason we became friends in the first place, was the discovery that we had a mutual love for this band, and we always listened to them together and it was like something that bonded us together. I thought that was such a meaningful coincidence.

I'm still in love with this girl, even though she has told me she has absolutely no feelings for me in that way. So the fact that all those meaningful coincidences were happening between us during that first time when I realized I was in love with her and felt completely intoxicated by love like you do when you first fall into it, made it even more painful that she didn't feel anything for me. I thought there must be something special between us, for things like this to happen. But it's a completely one-sided attraction.

·
Registered
152 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
SereneTugBoat, your Annie story is absolutely awesome. I love it, I almost cried.

I thought of one synchronous event that occured several years ago. My cousin and I were at some little get-together event outdoors at the local college, and we were walking around on one of the sidewalks. I'm not sure what we were doing exactly, but I remember that I had the phrase, "Crouching Tiger, Hidden Dragon," leap into my mind from the shadows, and just as it did, my cousin said out loud, "Crouching Tiger! Hidden Dragon!" What I do remember is that what we were talking about prior to this had absolutely nothing to do with this phrase, because when he said it, I was aghast, and I jumped up and down and said, "I swear, I was just thinking those words!" He said, "Yeah right, you are kidding me." He knew I had tried to pull a few psychic stunts on him in the past (some of them very successful). But I said, "No I promise you, just before you said that, those words flashed through my mind." I was so wide-eyed, and I was flailing around so much that he believed me.
Glad you liked it. I couldn't come up with this stuff you paid me.

Your story sounds like a synchronicity as an internal event correlates with
an external one without any causal link with one another.

·
Registered
3,190 Posts
I was in a meeting with an advisor for about an hour at college as I was waiting for a bus, and about halfway through, she asked me if I had time to stay to sort everything out because it was getting in-depth. I said I had time, and we got everything done. After we got everything done, I walked outside without checking any clocks or anything. I walked in front of the building, and wondered if there was a bus coming soon. I pulled out my phone to check the time, and when I did, the bus rolled right around the corner and stopped! :crazy:

Reactions: GreenCoyote

·
Registered
2,333 Posts
I was in a meeting with an advisor for about an hour at college as I was waiting for a bus, and about halfway through, she asked me if I had time to stay to sort everything out because it was getting in-depth. I said I had time, and we got everything done. After we got everything done, I walked outside without checking any clocks or anything. I walked in front of the building, and wondered if there was a bus coming soon. I pulled out my phone to check the time, and when I did, the bus rolled right around the corner and stopped! :crazy:
I just love moments like these.
this always happens to me with stoplights.
pulling up right when they turn green.

my synch events are more like luck though.

·
Registered
19 Posts
do these count?

I often have a song going through my head when I hop in the car, turn on the radio (or change the station) and find the song playing, at the same verse I'd been hearing in my head.

Once someone showed me how monkeys open bananas... from the bottom end (I was surprised how much easier it was than ripping it open by the stem). That same week I came across three different people doing the same thing, though I'd never noticed someone eating a banana "backwards" ever before!

Whenever I have intense deja vu I always feel like I am on the right track. When I meet a stranger I that I feel like I know very well, he or she always ends up being an important part of my life.

But those weird events...

I went to the home of a family I was working with (I provide support to kids w/ LD and special needs), they lived in a hilly neighborhood in redwood trees, so the roads were very curvy. As I parked in front of their house, I got the crazy feeling I shouldn't park there, and pulled the car in reverse. After traveling about 3 feet the feeling subsided and I decided I was being silly. I went inside. Less than an hour later, outside playing with the baby, I heard a tremendous crash. You can see where the story is going...

A woman had fallen asleep at the wheel (4pm! with her kids in the car!) and careened into the car two cars in front of me, knocking the first into the next car, which luckily had its wheels curbed, ending up up on the sidewalk less than 6" from my front bumper!!

This was maybe two years ago. Last weekend, I decided impromptu to travel to a client's house early and have my morning coffee in the cafe next to their house. Halfway there I got a text from another client who had locked their handicap accessible minivan's keys inside (I had an extra set to use to pick up the kids) just two blocks from where I was!! I stopped by, unlocked it to cheers and went about my merry way.

Later that very afternoon, I decided to stop by my friend's house before his Memorial Day party to see if he needed a ride to the grocery store, to find a guy buzzing the neighbor's door. He askd if I knew the neighbor (I did), and told me he found his wallet on the bus and was trying to return it but nobody was home! Come to find out, my friend had postponed his party so I came by for no other reason than to make sure neighbor got his wallet back!

Pretty crazy stuff!

·
Registered
1,133 Posts
A while ago I found myself imagining this thin, dark-haired man with big ears who was wearing a black suit with a collar like that of a Catholic priest. I don't know where he came from; I figured I just made him up. I made a note of this fellow and found it a while later, then doodled his portrait.

For some reason I imagined him to be Indian and I became curious as to whether there are many Catholics in India. I went to the Wikipedia article about this and found:

Varghese Palakkappillil - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

WHOA!!

I did a bit of research after that... my favorite tidbit:

Fr George Kochuparambil, of the diocese of Kothamangalam, said with great joy and gratitude about the founder, “Fr Varghese! A true gentleman! A true gentleman! A true gentleman! Our life with his was really a life of bliss and great joy! Though so many years have gone by since he left for his eternal reward, there has not been a single day in which I have not thought about him! His penetrating eyes, his big ears, his fragile and lean figure….all ever so fresh in my mind!”

I really have no idea what this all means, but it is really rather elaborate for a coincidence. I don't know, maybe somebody is trying in vain to get me to convert to Catholicism. More like this and they just might have me...

1 - 20 of 33 Posts