Personality Cafe banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
25 Posts
Full-time Java EE Developer (also coding in ReactJS.. Full-Stack dev really). It is okay, because the people are awesome, the job itself is meh - but still awesome compared to previous positions (php bullshit, and then absolutely cancerous neckbeard-autist-surrounded position in C++). Later I want to dive into ReactNative and GraphQL, shit is the future. At the job I enjoy having to communicate with business layer, because I can exercise my skill to bullshit people into seeing the world (tasks) my way. Also, if I fuck up something, I get to write a lengthy e-mail in which I can think about every word and it's implications and how it can persuade the man on the other side. I don't know what the real position for that is called tho.

And for study - IT security, one year to go and I am Ing. Hate it tho, shit college, convinced to go on by father. Oh yeah, and later by my Self, having a paper telling others you really are something and you have achieved something in life. What a bunch of bullshit. But it is solid as a fallback option to the System if my entrepreneur endeavors fail.

For what I would really want to do, well - writer, journalist, photographer, indie developer, lecturing people on shit... I do each in my free time - writing a dystopic novel (Matrix, 1984, Cryprocurrencies, NSA, Tarantino, Fight Club); being a journalist - having articles on medium and steemit and lecturing - creating paid lectures on udemy.com; working on my own game which was already approved by Steam! :D

Side channels of income are the SHIT!! You can have one foot in the "Chaos" that way, and the other still in the "Order" - having a stable job, stable income. That way you walk that thin line between Yin and Yang called Tao, and everything is how it is supposed to be :)

·
Registered
1,001 Posts
Currently an undergrad in Psychology and Criminology, but next year hopefully continuing with postgrad in Forensic Psychology.

·
Registered
259 Posts
I’m studying linguistics.
And I’m teaching English at a young offenders institution over the summer.
It’s a lot of fun, especially if any other ENTP’s were thinking of going into teaching; prisons ensure no day is the same lol.

·
Registered
259 Posts
Oh! And uh, I want to plant a language school in the future, probably in a third world country. I have a lot of friends that are in that sort of sphere, and it sounds like a pretty good mix of fun and making the world a better place.

·
Registered
51 Posts
I have a temp job as an office assistant right now, and I don't know what I'm going to do after this, because I have no fricken clue what I'm doing with my life. :crazy:

·
Registered
3,939 Posts
I'm an Environmental Geologist mainly working on environmental issues and clean up of soil and groundwater in the private sector. I went to school for straight geology, not environmental (with a minor in archaeology) and really wanted to be a cross between Dr. Allen Grant in Jurassic Park and Indiana Jones. I realized museum work required already having a contact to get into it and it did not even pay a living wage, so I ended up doing environmental consulting in an area which is pretty much only glacial geology (silt and clay soils on relatively flat land with not much bedrock near the surface).

Environmental Consulting is pretty diverse. The projects can be big, slow, multi-year projects with a lot of routine/quarterly work, or they can be fast moving, no-two-sites are the same, projects where they are done in under a year and the project manager tends to juggle many sites at the same time. The large projects tends to attract the SJs because they have a lot of routine tasks and not one person making a decision while the quick moving ones tend to attract NPs because they are so different, move too fast to get stagnant, and usually have only one project manager (with only idea bouncing rather than direction).

I've been doing it for almost 20 years so obviously it was a good fit (although I went through mid-20s questioning of my career choice but decided to stick it out). It pays pretty good (not fabulous but not low pay) and because you are working on billable time (rather than punching in and punching out), it is extremely flexible. I can work from home, leave for events, etc. and as long as I put in 40 hours for the week, it generally doesn't matter when I work (as long as I have my phone to answer client calls and check email during typical business hours). The only thing that sucks about billable time is that when you go on vacation, there usually isn't someone doing your work (at least a lot of it) so you just have more work when you get back and you can't just clock out and pass it on to the next shift so work often comes with you home, either in actual work or in your head.

·
Registered
1,168 Posts
I’m studying linguistics.
And I’m teaching English at a young offenders institution over the summer.
It’s a lot of fun, especially if any other ENTP’s were thinking of going into teaching; prisons ensure no day is the same lol.
Oh! And uh, I want to plant a language school in the future, probably in a third world country. I have a lot of friends that are in that sort of sphere, and it sounds like a pretty good mix of fun and making the world a better place.
I'm not one to give compliments lightly but you seem pretty rad. Those are both very interesting jobs.

I am also a teacher, but I'm currently home with my kids. I have a masters degree in political science and was teaching high school social studies. I'd like to get back into it once my youngest goes to school full time. Which is in two more years... ugh. I love my kids and I appreciate that I get to be their mama while they're little. But I can't wait to be my actual self again as well. My entire identity feels like mom/wife/servant, visible to no one.

·
Registered
251 Posts
Switching from a career in chemistry and a product developer/formulator,

I am a customer professional in a fortune 500 finance firm. Just started, still in training; earlier this year I was studying to be licensed to talk to advisors/clients and perform financial services and trades for them. Later and currently I've been studying the various financial systems used to process money movements, trades, and services provided by the company. Future studies include:

Economics
Trading Strategies
Coding

Depending on where I want to go, I will be taking advantage of the companies school reimbursement program.

·
Registered
259 Posts
I'm not one to give compliments lightly but you seem pretty rad. Those are both very interesting jobs.

I am also a teacher, but I'm currently home with my kids. I have a masters degree in political science and was teaching high school social studies. I'd like to get back into it once my youngest goes to school full time. Which is in two more years... ugh. I love my kids and I appreciate that I get to be their mama while they're little. But I can't wait to be my actual self again as well. My entire identity feels like mom/wife/servant, visible to no one.
Thanks! 🙂 I’m only 21 though, so the future thing is only a dream at the moment.
A masters in political science is pretty impressive, I’m barely making it through a bachelor’s degree. I think there’s a certain type of ENTP that’s ambition is high enough to be able to concentrate on studying for that long. I’ve always wanted to go out and explore the world too much, and I find studying really draining. I’m not sure I’d want to be a mum, for the reasons you just described. Would you say it’s worth it?

·
Registered
1,168 Posts
Thanks! �� I’m only 21 though, so the future thing is only a dream at the moment.
A masters in political science is pretty impressive, I’m barely making it through a bachelor’s degree. I think there’s a certain type of ENTP that’s ambition is high enough to be able to concentrate on studying for that long. I’ve always wanted to go out and explore the world too much, and I find studying really draining. I’m not sure I’d want to be a mum, for the reasons you just described. Would you say it’s worth it?
Oh without a doubt. 5 years. That's how long they're super dependent. Then they go to school all day and start to really learn to do things for themselves. That's the goal anyway.

I'm really big on perspective. And having children can be quite intellectually stimulating and it does give you a wealth of new perspectives (a child's perspective, a mother's perspective, a boy's, a little girl's, a baby's...) on many different things (conflict, love, new experiences, emotions...). You get to see what person is at the core before we heap on (sometimes totally arbitrary) social expectations.

Plus they brought a level of purpose and happiness to my life that was totally absent before. It's hard, but that unconditional, familial love -- there's nothing like it.

I've been told that I don't come off as a perceiver because I'm organized and on top of things. If only they had met me before I had kids, ha. It gave me a kick in the pants that I really needed. I work hard to make sure they have a nice home that is loving and yes, it's totally worth it.

There's a healthy balance between enjoying their cute/little years and looking forward to time when I can pursue my own interests.

·
Registered
3,939 Posts
Oh without a doubt. 5 years. That's how long they're super dependent. Then they go to school all day and start to really learn to do things for themselves. That's the goal anyway.

I'm really big on perspective. And having children can be quite intellectually stimulating and it does give you a wealth of new perspectives (a child's perspective, a mother's perspective, a boy's, a little girl's, a baby's...) on many different things (conflict, love, new experiences, emotions...). You get to see what person is at the core before we heap on (sometimes totally arbitrary) social expectations.

Plus they brought a level of purpose and happiness to my life that was totally absent before. It's hard, but that unconditional, familial love -- there's nothing like it.

I've been told that I don't come off as a perceiver because I'm organized and on top of things. If only they had met me before I had kids, ha. It gave me a kick in the pants that I really needed. I work hard to make sure they have a nice home that is loving and yes, it's totally worth it.

There's a healthy balance between enjoying their cute/little years and looking forward to time when I can pursue my own interests.
I found it was always the big picture that kept/keeps me going. In school, I realized the more I worked, the faster I would be out of there. Why slack and have to re-take classes or go longer just because I am easily distracted? I just made sure I allowed myself free unencumbered time when I was studying. I made Sunday night through Friday morning for school and studying and didn't touch a book, if I could help it from Friday afternoon until Sunday afternoon. I let myself go do things in the evenings during the week because I am crap at studying from about 5:00 until 9:00 and felt stifled but would go back to studying after 9:00pm.

With kids, I knew the high dependency stage would only last so long so once I got past that I would get more freedom back. My kids are 12 and 8 now so I'm getting more and more freedom. I do agree that the kids really brought more purpose in my life.

I wasn't sure if I wanted kids in my 20s (although I had assumed I would) but when I imagined my life in my 60s, I could not imagine not having anyone except my husband as my family. Assuming my parents are no longer living, my brother has his own family and we would just be imposing to spend holidays with them, and without your own kids/grandkids, holidays and life in general seems like it would be somewhat lonely. The only way to have grandkids in my 60s would be to have kids in my late 20s/early 30s so at the most logical time in our careers, we had kids. My only issue was that I wanted to not just have my foot in the door in my career but have a whole leg.

·
Registered
537 Posts
Currently a mature-age student at University.
I'm studying a Bch Health and majoring in Psychology.

Previous occupation was an ICT consultant.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts