Personality Cafe banner

1 - 20 of 82 Posts

·
Plumcot
2,186 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Us fives have had it hard before with feeling like we have to ante something up and replace it with that 'something'. I think I'm more of a five because people see me as dim, and that I have no common sense when doing something. Is it possible that you all too, have the same fears of being seen as ignorant or dumb as I do? Do you have the urge to prove everyone wrong about their assumptions of you with how much you know as well? What is your flame to learn​ fueled by?

·
Registered
234 Posts
I am always afraid that people will see me as an unintelligent person. Although, this is only with certain people. If a random person on the internet believes I am ignorant or dumb, I don't really care. If someone is unintelligent themselves, it doesn't matter to me.

I care about the opinions of people that know me well, or have talked to me enough to know my general personality. If someone calls me stupid after they get to know me well, and if they genuinely mean it, it makes me feel bad. I become mad. As you mentioned, I try to prove them wrong. This isn't gasoline to the burning fire of my desire to learn though.

Actually this is a pretty good question, I haven't thought about this much.

Truthfully, I want to seem intelligent. That has something to do with it, I can't lie. So what you were saying was partially right in my case. I am interested in psychology, I want to learn more about that subject because I love learning about that subject. It's very interesting, that is a field I love. I enjoy learning it.

I love learning these things just to know, I suppose. I'm not really sure why I do, it just naturally appeals to me.

·
Registered
106 Posts
Is it possible that you all too, have the same fears of being seen as ignorant or dumb as I do? Do you have the urge to prove everyone wrong about their assumptions of you with how much you know as well? What is your flame to learn​ fueled by?
I very much resonate with this! Many people have often put me down or claimed that I don't have common sense, just because I find it difficult to navigate through the physical world. I find that using my hands and living in the moment can feel unnatural at times and causes me to doubt myself and screw up, especially when somebody is watching me intently and making that pressure apparent.

I fear coming off as unintelligent or ignorant as I consider myself very aware of so many facets of reality and deep down know that I'm not dumb. In school I did poorly, but whenever I did give it my undivided attention found that I could be quite meticulous and almost always excel greatly. It was only after high school that I felt the urge to chase intelligent discussions and the things that I had always avoided.

Feeling no excitement for the curriculum in school is likely the cause of why I did so poorly sometimes. I just didn't care and wasn't ready to be there. I needed more emotional and personal growth first. Whenever I'd see a low mark I would cringe because I knew how people would respond to this, and so now that I can confirm that I am indeed intelligent, I further more feel like I need to prove everybody wrong whenever something slams up against that insecure side of myself.

My flame to learn is based on a thirst for knowledge in general. If I wasn't so bent up all of the time then I'm sure that I could accomplish much, much more. Life is full of mystery and this perplexes me and causes me to ask question after question. This intuitive prowess combined with my contradictory appreciation for logic pushes this desire to all sorts of different heights.

I wish to use the knowledge that I acquire to teach others and to invigorate the spirits of those around me.

·
Registered
234 Posts
Yeah, I agree a lot with that, it really resonated with me.
I'm actually quite horrible with my hands; give me a slab of clay and the least you can expect is rock. Is it the same for other type fives?
Hmm, I'm not sure if that's a 5 thing or not. I haven't really tried to make anything like that. I don't have many interests in artistic things. Though my hand-eye coordination is pretty good, or so people tell me. I think you're talking about handiwork though.

·
Registered
73 Posts
Knowledge is power. Knowledge gives me an edge over the rest of the population. Knowledge protects me.
I have problems relating to other people so I use knowledge to make myself feel like it is ok to not be able to relate. At least I know more, understand more, am more than others; even if I can't understand them.

·
Registered
1,145 Posts
Whenever I learned about a new topic, I researched the hell out of it by reading books or watching documentaries. I do it not because I want to appear intelligent or smart to other people (because frankly, I'm past the stage of caring on how others perceives me) but because it's like a deep thirst that needs to be quenched. It's almost like an obsession. Then, after I've learned all I can about that topic, I moved on until something else of interests catches my attention.

Does this make sense to anyone?

·
Registered
41 Posts
Whenever I learned about a new topic, I researched the hell out of it by reading books or watching documentaries. I do it not because I want to appear intelligent or smart to other people (because frankly, I'm past the stage of caring on how others perceives me) but because it's like a deep thirst that needs to be quenched. It's almost like an obsession. Then, after I've learned all I can about that topic, I moved on until something else of interests catches my attention.

Does this make sense to anyone?
That's my modus operandi as well.

Reactions: truth number 2

·
Banned
512 Posts
Us fives have had it hard before with feeling like we have to ante something up and replace it with that 'something'. I think I'm more of a five because people see me as dim, and that I have no common sense when doing something. Is it possible that you all too, have the same fears of being seen as ignorant or dumb as I do? Do you have the urge to prove everyone wrong about their assumptions of you with how much you know as well? What is your flame to learn​ fueled by?
yes. I have the same fears of being seen as unintelligent or incompetent. I don't have any urge to prove people wrong but if I sense an error, I feel compelled to correct it and to reveal the truth. Flame to learn...I like that phrase. It reminds me of passion, or whatever it is that fuels the fire of life. Personally, I'm motivated to know as much as possible because I can only feel connected to something if I know everything about it, if that makes any sense. I seek union with the universe and with others.

·
Registered
6,558 Posts
To figure out and uncover stuff not many other people know about.

·
Registered
169 Posts
As if I needed to understand the world, to broaden my horizons. I highly value knowledge and seeking it makes me happy somehow.

·
Registered
569 Posts
To appear dumb in front of people who do not get what I'm trying to say is a different thing. At some point, it is not a matter of being incompetent. Knowledge of surroundings is very important, so that I can relax. It's hard to explain but yea...

·
Banned
7,396 Posts
I'm pretty resonant with everything that's been said... although it's important to note that acquiring knowledge is only the preliminary step... after that it's about application, and if possible, creating a better system (whatever "better" would be in that context) to replace the old one.

I think I care about "appearing smart" to the extent that it can affect my professional goals or whatever ... I wouldn't want a person in power to think I was incompetent. Other than that, I would imagine the need for external validation is simply a sign of low self-esteem. That's all it would indicate.

On the other hand, it really pisses me off if I don't know something that I think I should. Or if I can't keep up, due to some variable "x" so fundamental and low-level that it's impossible to try. That's probably the root of the fear - some outside force that I can't predict, measure, affect; exerting an inevitable influence on me that I can't control, much less escape. But that'd be life for you.

·
MOTM November 2013
2,702 Posts
Currently?

Cold pizza and leftover Christmas candy.

Reactions: ruskiix

·
Registered
5,651 Posts
I think I'm more of a five because people see me as dim, and that I have no common sense when doing something.
This has nothing to do with being a 5.

Is it possible that you all too, have the same fears of being seen as ignorant or dumb as I do?]
You never listed your fears.

Do you have the urge to prove everyone wrong about their assumptions of you with how much you know as well?
No, never.

What is your flame to learn​ fueled by?
Necessity or interest.

I think I care about "appearing smart" to the extent that it can affect my professional goals or whatever ... I wouldn't want a person in power to think I was incompetent. Other than that, I would imagine the need for external validation is simply a sign of low self-esteem. That's all it would indicate.
This. Needing the validation of irrelevant people shows really poor self-esteem.

·
Registered
54 Posts
"flame to learn"

is fueled by the answer which I do not know yet. :ninja:
Also I'm fascinated about finding the most uncommon and most essential answer.
How can I explain the whole in one sentence, in one word?

To say it simple you have to know a lot.

·
Registered
2,763 Posts
My 5w4 interpretation is using intellect as a defense against existential meaninglessness. The pursuit of creating new knowledge is like building the tower of babel to reach for the heavens whilst it crumbles beneath. It evokes a particular Sisyphusian image of struggle that I'm fond of.

My 5w6 interpretation is using intellect as a way to be valued for its contributions to the world; it provides an interpersonal buffer to both remain close to and at a safe distance from the world at large. This is reminiscent of the schizoid compromise.

·
Registered
6,558 Posts
Either boredom, security, or originality.

1 - 20 of 82 Posts