Personality Cafe banner

1 - 20 of 35 Posts

·
Registered
23 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
It can be realistic or some wild idea that you have. Anything goes.

Ideally, I would like to become a floral designer with my own business.

I decided that I wanted to incorporate my love of art into something where I have the opportunity to become the creator and, while I can't paint, sculpt or photograph things very well, I have a knack for mood, color and shape, as well as an interest in plants and my own collection of healthy succulents on the windowsill. Not just bouquets of roses and things that you would see in most stores, but transforming flowers into art. I thrive in environments where I am able to let my imagination flourish and flowers become, almost, fantasy creatures.

As I make progress in therapy and with meds, I've been looking into entry-level floral work, certificate programs, workshops and seminars. I think that the hardest part, for me, is making each little step forward and recovering when I have periods where I am very, very low. Thus far, I have experience in retail, set design and art direction, and a degree in Art History.

Selling my writing would also be a dream of mine. I write poetry and am considering getting into short stories before progressing into writing something the length of a novel. I think that it would be beneficial to get involved in a writing community and getting over my fear of sharing my work IRL.

How about you?

·
Registered
20 Posts
Oh, this is a cool topic. I used to dream about being a writer but I feel like I won't get anywhere with it, also I'm one of the many people too terrified to share my stuff because it's so bad. I also kind of wanted to become a counselor to help people and understand them and 'see what really makes us empathetic and human.' But then I realized I'd have to take math/science classes for that and I noped out, so now I'm just trying to get a degree to become an English teacher because it's honestly the easiest option at this point. (lol) The other answers here are really cool, it's neat to see how many INFPs are artistically inclined.

·
Registered
179 Posts
A have a number of dream-jobs, I want(ed) to do. Maybe in other alternate dimensions/realities I'm veering down those paths right now (other me's that is).

Screen-Writer/Script-Writer. Preferably for Film, or Television. That shit looks like a ton of fun. I would have gone down that path of errr... vocation, but living where I am, they didn't offer any courses at college which particularly involved writing for screen. Despite this, I've integrated my fascination of writing into my University projects which require narrative structure. I just find it fascinating, that kind of power and ability the scripter has. They can create any world they desire, and carve narratives that have touched many souls.

Musician. I know how to play the Electric Guitar, ever since Highschool. I got distracted and gave it up, before I got anywhere near being 'good' or skilled however. When I've got time again, I want to go back to music - even just as a hobby. Christ alive, I miss it. Those were the days of just farting around, smoking a cigarette or two on the patio whilst the sun sets and you can hear the neighbors bickering. Then you'd just turn the amp up louder to drown those arseholes out. Hahaha, the days!

Cosmologist. I love Science, and there's something very soothing about the methodological sequence of calculus involved. Three years ago, I was intending to go down the path of Cosmology due to the heavy research component involved in the practice, as well as the requirement of a doctorate. There was also something fascinating about the stars, and the encompassing Universe to me. These days, I supplement that 'dead' dream/desire for my Astronomy club, which I star-gaze with when I've got the time.

Now I'm an Academic researcher, which isn't bad. I look to it as being as combination of those assumed paths I originally anticipated.

·
Registered
3,670 Posts
I honestly want a career that pays well enough to have my own place plus more, I have a certain amount in mind--and which has a fair amount of job offers after I finish training.
I also would like to be in an environment with people on a more equal level of maturity or intelligence. And I realize I prefer to work rather independently or at least a place that needs less socializing.

Being an HSP and in the workforce for many years my dreams have changed--well maybe not too much. I actually have an artistic background... my dream may be more about moving to a place with a more living artistic community. I was thinking New York, with people like Audrey Niffenegger x)

·
Registered
23 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
I also kind of wanted to become a counselor to help people and understand them and 'see what really makes us empathetic and human.' But then I realized I'd have to take math/science classes for that
Not too much math and science, though. Maybe if you wanted a degree in Psychology, but a Masters in Social Work or Counseling is rather liberal artsy, from what I've read. I think you need some science and math credits from undergrad to get in, like statistics and a few other things, but I've seen people from a wide variety of backgrounds become couselors going this route.

But, I relate to your dreams. I wouldn't be surprised if there were many aspiring writers among INFPs. And I'm sure your writing isn't that bad. We all have to start somewhere.

I also would like to be in an environment with people on a more equal level of maturity or intelligence. And I realize I prefer to work rather independently or at least a place that needs less socializing.
This is very important for me, too.

·
Registered
20 Posts
Not too much math and science, though. Maybe if you wanted a degree in Psychology, but a Masters in Social Work or Counseling is rather liberal artsy, from what I've read. I think you need some science and math credits from undergrad to get in, like statistics and a few other things, but I've seen people from a wide variety of backgrounds become couselors going this route.

But, I relate to your dreams. I wouldn't be surprised if there were many aspiring writers among INFPs. And I'm sure your writing isn't that bad. We all have to start somewhere.
Thanks for the words of encouragement! Also, I did think about getting an MSW or such, but my college doesn't offer it, unfortunately :( I've heard that statistics isn't too hard, but I'm someone who failed basic algebra and is also really lazy and hates math, so I just decided to give up lol.

I was initially kind of surprised how many INFPs were writing/artistic types, but I guess I shouldn't be. Writing can be really therapeutic and important to express emotions, which is apparently the kind of thing that INFPs particularly like.

·
Registered
3,907 Posts
I don’t know....something cute like carving and painting toys for little kids, or arranging bouquets, or decorating cakes :happy:

Maybe even stuff like designing houses, interior decorating, pottery or sculpting, creating music... hmmm

·
Registered
5,822 Posts
Anything that allows me to wear jeans and sneakers and t-shirts on the reg, where I can work together with people doing something meaningful & hands-on, and rarely have to deal with any big business-crap.

I don't care about being poor forever -- even if I had money, I wouldn't keep 80% of it.

·
Registered
1,014 Posts
you all have a beautiful dream, I hope you all can be what you want. :kitteh:

As for me, I am actually embarrassed to say this loudly but, I want to be a full freelancer as a data analyst and front-end designer. I don't want to have a regular 9-5 pm job.

I also want to write books. It must be nice...

·
Premium Member
6,856 Posts
Art director.

Reactions: Blue Flower

·
Registered
93 Posts
There is more than one dream profession for me :)
The most realistic would be becoming a psychotherapist with a focus on dance and music therapy. Actually this is possible.
My secret dream profession would be becoming a director for film or theatre :D I plan on buying a good camera for my birthday to get into photography and filming.
And last but not least the dream I am joking about when things aren't going well in med school: opening an independent vintage-type bookshop with a cute little cafe selling vegan and organic cakes :D A girl can dream...

Reactions: AshOrLey

·
Registered
1,518 Posts
All I ever wanted to do was draw. I ended up working in drafting group of the Engineering departments of various contractors.

There's nothing better than getting paid to draw all day. Nothing. And in Engineering, drawing is the way to communicate the design and the steps to complete it. So besides there being an aesthetic sense required, there is also abstract thinking about the entire process.

Over time I moved into computer aided drawing/drafting/design and with it I learned to program the drawing programs for better efficiency and speed of output. Now I'm lazy because for years I made the computer do all the work while I just had to push certain buttons.

Now that i'm older, I wish there was something else I could work at that would be rewarding but I haven't discovered anything.

Some things come naturally to me or I have a knack for like teaching, counseling, foreign language. But I wouldn't want a job dealing with people all day. It's very fatiguing.

1 - 20 of 35 Posts