Personality Cafe banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
4,560 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have this developing theory that intelligence is related to creating early memories.

My earliest memory was a sensation. In thinking and feeling the sensation now, I think my diaper was being changed and the sensation of the baby wipe going between my butt cheeks and legs was very unpleasant. I was in a dark room and there was a short wall to the right of me.

I have many other early memories - but I am trying to find out why, and what the commonalities are between myself and other early memory bearers.

·
Registered
226 Posts
1st : My mother moving my arms and legs to make me exercise while saying stuff like whoouuuuuuuhoooouuuuuu (french phonetic)
2nd : The first time I walked on four legs. My mother dropped me near the wall then she got away from me. Then she was telling me to come to her. I was afraid, that bitch was always going further away from me while I tried to come to her. Bitch! she made me cried :p. 5 years later I did the same exercise to a 1 month old doberman and he cried just like me. The two events are vividly connected in my mind.

Most memories I have from my childhood are awe or traumatic events, sometimes the two at the same time.

·
Registered
2,144 Posts
3 months old: I remember sliding down a giant slide with red, yellow, and blue rollers instead of flat metal like most slides, with bright green foliage whizzing past me on my way down. Parents confirmed that I indeed sat on my dad's lap on such a slide in Okinawa, Japan when I was approx 3 months old.

I have an exuberant amount of early memories (0-2 years old) and they're all extremely visual. All the ones I can think of right now have no scents, textures, or sounds, only visuals.

·
Registered
1,160 Posts
Not the earliest but... when i was younger i had a bird. He was extremely tame and i kept leaving the cage open at night. One day i woke up and i couldnt find him. When i turned around i found him pancaked into the bed. Turns out he flew to me when i was sleeping and i rolled over him.

: ' (

·
Registered
4,560 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Not the earliest but... when i was younger i had a bird. He was extremely tame and i kept leaving the cage open at night. One day i woke up and i couldnt find him. When i turned around i found him pancaked into the bed. Turns out he flew to me when i was sleeping and i rolled over him.

: ' (
:'(. /patpat

·
Registered
2,144 Posts
1st : My mother moving my arms and legs to make me exercise while saying stuff like whoouuuuuuuhoooouuuuuu (french phonetic)
2nd : The first time I walked on four legs. My mother dropped me near the wall then she got away from me. Then she was telling me to come to her. I was afraid, that bitch was always going further away from me while I tried to come to her. Bitch! she made me cried :p. 5 years later I did the same exercise to a 1 month old doberman and he cried just like me. The two events are vividly connected in my mind.

Most memories I have from my childhood are awe or traumatic events, sometimes the two at the same time.
So... you're a dog?

·
Registered
227 Posts
I have a very vivid memory of visiting my mother in hospital just hours after she gave
birth to my sister. I can remember exactly how the room looked, the bed, the crib, and
everything else. I was 30 months old at the time. This is about 30 years ago.

·
Registered
227 Posts
I have an exuberant amount of early memories (0-2 years old)
Than you must be an alien because human babies develop the capacity for
long-lasting conscious memory of specific events between 12 and 18 months.

·
Registered
4,560 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Than you must be an alien because human babies develop the capacity for
long-lasting conscious memory of specific events between 12 and 18 months.
Just because having young memories is not your experience, do not discount the experiences of those who do. That research is not based on people like me (I also have copious memories from before 12 mos), and cannot be regarded as scientific fact.

·
Registered
227 Posts
Just because having young memories is not your experience, do not discount the experiences of those who do. That research is not based on people like me (I also have copious memories from before 12 mos), and cannot be regarded as scientific fact.
My mind is so different from the average joe that I look like an alien to them.

That is what I meant. I'm just surprised because in average you're not supposed
to remember stuff from before 12 months. I did not say it was impossible. I even
think its very plausible that I can happen to one people in x thousands

·
Registered
226 Posts
So... you're a dog?
Well if you reread #1, no.

I don't have that many memories before 12 months I must say. But between 2-4 I did lot of experiments, most of them includes fighting, killing, hunting, gathering, mathematics, strategy board game, chess, card games, me bullying an older brother a lot. Too much really, there are some sick stuff I did there. I remember one time, I was fighting with him then he got in the foetus position so that I could only attack him were he was the strongest. So I knew he was going to wait before getting back from his position because it was his best defense so I dropped my pants and pissed on him :p. My other brothers saw it too, hilarious stuff. I was the reincarnation of Satan for sure.

·
Registered
1,325 Posts
I can't remember what my earliest memory was... That's somewhat unsettlingly. I have pictures of that time but it's like seeing an identical twin. I don't remember being there or doing anything. I have some memories, very vague, of around 7-10 years, 10-13 years is somewhat clearer, 13-16 fairly clear and the rest is pretty vivid as it hasn't been that long since that time. I suspect it will become less so in the future.

·
Registered
459 Posts
I have a very vivid memory of visiting my mother in hospital just hours after she gave
birth to my sister. I can remember exactly how the room looked, the bed, the crib, and
everything else. I was 30 months old at the time. This is about 30 years ago.
My earliest memory was about the same age--a handful of months after my 2nd birthday--and involved my sister also. We were on a glass-bottomed boat, fairly small and unremarkable (except for the bottom), and out at sea. I was sitting in the boat, on the bench seat that went across the back, and my sister who was 5, was perched on the side of the boat. I remember telling her to be careful because she might fall.

·
Registered
17,161 Posts
Hmmmm not sure which is earlier but I must've been about 3-4 years old and still lived in old house in my hometown.
One I was out in the backyard with a cool batman toy who was kind of gold and black with sharp wing attachments, I'd run around as if he were flying and doing crazy stunts.
The other I had some plastic tricycle think and we lived on a hill, I rode it down the footpath and it was hard to stop since it didn't have any brakes, I stopped just before reaching the road at the end where a car pulled up to turn.
Or one where I was chasing a cat at the same house in front yard and it jumped through a hedge, I followed and lept into the hedge as well, I hit my head on the wooden frame, I attribute this to the scar I now have under my eyebrow.

·
Registered
327 Posts
These are a few but I don't know the chronological order of the first few.
1) Falling off a high chair and dislocating/twisting my shoulder. FML. I was 2 or 3.
2) Running to the school's playground to slide down the slide at the end of my toilet trip in nursery school - the slide was out of bounds at all times! Lmao I was such a rebel. Also I remember puking in their bathroom before, dunno why. Seems intense for a kid who's only 3 years old.
3) In the middle of one of the nights back at my old home, I had a weird sensation in the middle of the night in my ear. It turns out that something got in (insect or something) and I was so uncomfortable I wailed non-stop. Everyone woke up and even the neighbours came over to check what was going on - I remember them gathering in a group near me and I think one of them brought some kind of cooking vinegar/rice thing over and they tried to use it to kill the insect and slowly flush it out with care. I may have been 3?
4) Once I was just minding my own business looking at the science young-inventor exhibits in my school and just checking out the projects, holding them up to observe them. It was fun.. until another kid running at fucking top speed crashed into me, I ~flew across the ground, and let's just say that my teeth ended up bleeding fairly badly or something. That wasn't fair, I liked science. Pfft. 7 years old.
5) First panic attack from classroom domestic violence - 7 years old. Horrible. The start of all my nightmares srsly.
6) Shoplifted mechanical pencils, but gave them away to other kids. Wow, screw capitalism I'm a black knight, and also a good thief who doesn't keep evidence aha. 7 years old. Don't worry I don't steal anymore. Although I did also steal money from my parents when I was 12 for the same reasons that I was being suppressed with domestic violence, denied for too many things, etc. That was the end of that though.
7) Second panic attack, from yet another abusive teacher but this was the intro to WAAAAY more. Also horrible. She also loved hitting me and embarrassing me in front of my classroom. I fucking hated her guts but couldn't do shit about it. :'( I couldn't even talk to her and face her directly without panicking. I have way more from there, but yeah. - 10 years old
8) Lifting up the top bunk of my double deck bed and messing with it a little, and tried to put it back into place properly again. Ended up having the bed clamped down on my hand, and ripping out a small tiny portion of the flesh at the corner of my palm. Bled like crazy, took very long to treat and heal with DIY. Scar remains today.

·
Registered
325 Posts
I remember being outside in a baby carriage, and my mother and aunts standing around arguing with each other. This baby carriage was replaced before I turned 2, says my mother. She does not believe that I remember this.

I remember visiting my mother in the hospital when my sister was born. I messed with the buttons on her bed! I was about 2 and a half.

After my sister was born I have a lot of memories. I am generally regarded by friends and family as having a very good memory. I can look at my kindergarten class picture and name every kid and something about them, and I'm 32 now.

·
Registered
500 Posts
I remember vividly being carried in a stroller. I was less than a year. I remember where it happened, the weather, what my mother was wearing.

·
Registered
2,101 Posts
I think emotional trauma and shock imbed memories, hence the assassination of JFK, the explosion of Challenger, or some outstanding personal event will cause memories to endure. At age 2 I have a vivid memory of what was happening immediately before I looked out a window, saw a large (to me worm), loudly announced what I saw and ran outside the back door to do whatever it was my fascination incited me to do about it.

My mother realized I might be getting into trouble with something more dangerous than a "worm" (like a snake) and came after me for my own safety - in great alarm. I recall that two of my older sisters were sitting by the window and had used a book, that I would learn later was an encyclopedia volume, turned in an upright position to hold the window open. After mom rescued me and brought me back into the house I spent time looking out the open window to see again if I could, what I would learn later was a snake.

I remember in great detail the moments before and at the time of hearing about JFK's assassination. I was lying in the back of a Marine Corps truck with my field pack and all my gear after a two week field exercise waiting for everybody else to load up to head back to the main-side barracks.

It was a Friday, right at noon and a beautiful day, up to that moment. An unknown marine stopped at our truck and said to us who were loaded up waiting there: "The President has been shot in Texas - and we're going there." We weren't of course, that part was B.S., but as I remember I drove up to DC from Camp Lejeune NC the coming weekend to see the grave.

1 - 18 of 18 Posts