Personality Cafe banner

1 - 20 of 24 Posts

·
I love my everything
10,920 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
How old were you?

Mine was when my sister was born. I remember walking to the hospital with my dad. My next memory is seeing my mom in a wheelchair (when we were leaving the hospital). Im not sure if the the two memories were the same day or not.
I was three years, 1 month, and a few days old.

I did ask my mom a few months ago about this memory and told her the details (how we walked to the hospital-we lived in the city that time. We go by car everywhere where we live now; that she came out in a wheelchair-just a detail I would not have thought of) to confirm that these were in fact remebered and not created events. She agreed that this did happen.

So tell me, what's your earliest memory and at what age did it happen? :happy:

·
Registered
639 Posts
You mean oldest memory, right?

I'm 16, and I can't remember shit past my 6 years. I have lots of memories from my 6 years. I remember playing Playstation One with my brother. Another one is when he was taking me on bike and we fell of, in middle of the fucking street. I remember eating with him too, guess it was a ham sandwich. Most of my memories from this age that I can remember, there's always my brother involved, that's kind of interesting though. I guess he made my life so different that I couldn't imagine living my childhood without him.

·
Registered
32 Posts
My oldest and most vivid memory is from kindergarten. I was playing with a toy boat during recess and that's when the William appeared. He wanted to play with the toy boat I was using despite there being two others next to me. I refused and then he bit me on the face! He wouldn't let go until our teacher showed up. I sometimes remember the William with full black eyes-without the whites.

I often wonder if my personality would've been different if this event never occurred. I'm always fearful around new people, but I've gotten better at controlling it.

·
Registered
610 Posts
The earliest memory that I can pinpoint happened during Christmas when I was 2 years and 3 months old. I have other memories that I think might be earlier, but you can never know when it happened unless its on a special day of sorts. It feels like I was older than two but it was my grandfather's last Christmas so it wasn't any later.

·
Registered
3,260 Posts
the most certain oldest memory I have is being in the backseat of the car coming from the hospital with my brother who was just born. That would make me approximately 15 months old at the time.

I use to think or imagine that I had a memory of being in the womb, but I highly doubt it. I have a ton of memories from preschool and in my young days - I don't know how I manage to hold on to such things sometimes.

Reactions: passmethecookies

·
Registered
301 Posts
My earliest memory is watching my uncle draw. I am not sure how much he liked me or anything. However, he kind of put up with me since I had a hero complex with him. I use to watch him draw and draw all the time. Mind you my uncle was like only 6 years older than me. At this point in time, I thought he knew the worlds secrets. He was drawing some guy with spiked hair, now I realize he was probably drawing some anime character, though I am not sure which? I just thought it was the most awesome thing I ever saw, I thought he was a genius. At this time I was about 6 or 7 ( I am not sure about this, since we are talking about the earliest memory). I remember sitting on his bed (it was a futon, and he had a desk, where he drew at). I would sit and look at books, while he drew and every once in awhile he would show them to me and ask me what I thought. It's probably my most vivid memory, I remember he wore black jeans and some navy shirt with writing on it. I had a light colored blue dress. I was sitting on his bed with a pink bear and him at his desk. I remember him being kind of upset with me, that I wanted to be with him, and he wanted to be with his friends. He never, denied me though and always spent time with me. Bringing me with him even when he went to hang out with his friends. I can look back on this and this it was weird, why did he treat me so well? I guess I am not sure?

·
Registered
32 Posts
I use to think or imagine that I had a memory of being in the womb, but I highly doubt it.
Can you elaborate? I feel like i have a memory of darkness, heartbeats, and gurgling noises.

Reactions: zeelf

·
Registered
936 Posts
I remember my mother taking me out of the crib in the middle of the night, and then taking a bottle of formula from the refrigerator and heating it up. I also remember how all the furniture was arranged when I was a baby. My crib was in the center of the room next the twin beds where my sisters slept. My grandmother slept in the next room. It's weird that I remember all that, but can't remember what I did two days ago.

·
Registered
3,136 Posts
I remember a bright light... and the doors of perception. Black and white visions of the horrors to come was burning behind the retina. My bones shivered in the cold air of the living. I woke up in an dying body at age five and all memories prior to that (vision) are sleeping under the shadow of amnesia.

·
Registered
28,958 Posts
Not sure which is earliest 2-3 years old.
I was in pre-school and my mom was delivering diapers for me.
I was in pre-school doing that competition where you hop in potato sacks.
Various explorations around the playground.
The whole pre-school bus driving into the rocky rock into the school is carved into my mind.
I remember the atmosphere, apparently it felt like autumn.
In pre-k there were two girls watching me when a teacher tried to make me jump rope but I just stood there motionless.
Pre-k there was this giant ass parrot that scared the shit out of me everyday so I was moved to a different building in the area.
Pre-k some music person came along, but I was afraid of participating.
Pre-k I remember moving things out of a cubby when everyone else was doing nap time in pre-k.
In pre-k I was moved to a building with two tiny parrot like birds and I was so relived.
In pre-k standing on like near a pool.
In pre-k I honestly didn't care about any of the other children at all, no joke I had no friends and I don't think I ever approached them.
In pre-k I played with this toy thing while I secretly listened to my mom talking to a person.
In pre-k climbing a ladder to get the top of this bunk bed and being scared.
In pre-k walking on this tarp thing but I don't remember it's purpose.
In pre-k they were showing a video but I was more concerned with the giant parrot breaking out of it's cage and killing me.
In pre-k mentally mapping out the entire campus after I reached the final undiscovered location which was the principal's office.
The last thing was at a party. My mom called me downstairs and held me up. I believe it was my brother's birthday and the entire house was filled. This probably happened on many parties. I had a pissed off look to everyone because they were invading my home and I had to see them.
Everything is highly exemplified because I didn't speak to anyone at all and I pretty much acted as the sole observer of the environment but didn't get caught up in thinking about people. I think the only words I said were "thirsty and hungry" without first being spoken to. Along with the various one liners I made and smart ass remarks.
I also do that think who you step on certain floor tiles in a pattern and did the carpet is love game.
I wish I was still a young kid.

·
Registered
1,883 Posts
I think I was 3-4. I was crossing a creek heading toward the preschool that my Aunt taught at (I know it was in Santa Barbara, near UCSB, since that's where my aunt worked). I'm not sure if this was the same trip where we were waiting for the station wagon outside. I know it's a really random memory, but I'm pretty sure that's the oldest one I have.

·
Registered
258 Posts
I was 2 and a half when I had this rather shocking but visually fascinating accident. Now looking back I think it influenced me a lot in oh so many ways. It's strange how my first short film looks eerily similar aesthetically and it never crossed my mind when I made it.

It was a very bright summer day in 1993 and there was this family thing at my grandparents' place. I was in the kitchen, crawling on the floor or something. The floor tiles were white, and the sun was making them look even brighter. Everything was bright. I was bright. (I later learned there's a word for that, pale, but nevermind) My grandmother had a bunch of Coke bottles lying around, the old type, made of glass, and the sun was shining through them. I was mesmerized. What are those things? They are beaaaauuuuteeeeeefoooooool... must... touch... them... must... investigate... this... otherworldly... beauty... So I pick one up to observe it more closely. And woah, it shines differently as I move it through air with my 2-year-old hands. But it's too heavy and I drop it. And woaaaah... now there's more of them... must... touch... must... investigate... The broken glass shines perfectly in my bright white little hands above the bright white floor tiles. Then something violently red appears on my left wrist. I can clearly see my bright white skin opening up, and there's a bit of something even whiter inside of it, woah... and something red is coming out, WOAAAAAAH... AAAWEEESOOOMEEEE...

And then my mom starts screaming hysterically and everybody becomes agitated and they take me away from my aesthetic heaven. Maybe my career choice is nothing but an attempt to recreate it. In a less life endangering way.

It's rather tricky to have an obvious scar on your wrist and have to explain people that no, you did not try to kill yourself, you just slit your wrist by accident when you were 2. And they're like "M-hhhhhhhm. What are you taking? Or supposed to be taking but are not?"

·
Registered
2,923 Posts
My memory is so terrible. I have vague premonitions about what has happened in my past, but nothing specific. This is because I have a auto-immune disorder that fucks with your brain a bit, so anything that happened before I got on medication is just a haze. According to my parents there are entire years that are just a blank for me. They reference things that happened and I'm just like .____.

·
Registered
79 Posts
I have no idea. I have a terrible time with order of events. I probably remember things from my early childhood, however I can't really place their time unless they are attached to a specific event that I can recall the date of.

·
Registered
1,777 Posts
When I still was sleeping in the crib I would lie awake at night thinking about how there were a bunch of crocodiles swimming in circles around my crib and the only way to save myself from them was to cover my feet with covers. Even now it feels weird to sleep without something on my feet haha.
Another memory is from when I was old enough to read but before kindergarten, I had put a bunch of small books under my bed so the next time I got sent to my room for doing something I wasn't supposed to I could just relax and read. That night at dinner I got myself sent to my room and just kinda strolled in, went straight under my bed and read into the night, felt like a total badass too :p

·
Registered
2,860 Posts
I was two and a half. My grandparents brought me into the hospital room after my brother was born and I sang happy birthday to him. We were holding balloons.

Saccharine, I know.

·
Registered
1,220 Posts
I saw a snake when I was 3. It slithered out of a flower pot I was sitting next to.

Also, my child psych professor said that the memories we have from before we were 3 years old are mostly all artificial, so I'm not including those ones.

1 - 20 of 24 Posts