Personality Cafe banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
What type of classical music do my fellow INTJs prefer?

I always have had a thing for the lyricism/national character of the Romantics, though nothing quite beats the rational twidlings of a harpsichord. :happy:

·
Registered
14 Posts
My tastes tends to more modern classical music - from say late 19th century to, in the main, mid 20th century. Mahler, Bruckner, Bartok, Shostakovich, John Adams (even more recent), Copland, Bernstein. But then, of course, there's Beethoven.

·
Registered
2,105 Posts
I can't really choose.

The Baroque period has my favourite composer although do suppose Bach is a little mainstream for INTJs. However, only Purcell comes to mind for anything earlier than Vivaldi; you start seeing some good names after he gets into it. Then you have a whole lot to choose from in the Classical period but the story telling just takes off from nowhere once the wind instruments start developing and you have guys like Berlios, Dvorak and all those Russians who just go crazy with it....

Okay I can choose. Mendelssohn screws with my head in strange ways. One vote for early Romantic.

·
Registered
101 Posts
I generally like the romantic era, and more specifically Tchaikovsky.

·
Registered
309 Posts
ROMANTIC!

No specific timeline as long as it's romantic. My ENTJ friend is a musical genius and plays a lot of classical, so I get to see ALL these pieces performed for me on a regular basis on the piano. She doesn't just play music though. She is the embodiment of her music. I love it :laughing:

·
Registered
101 Posts
Those are some great last words. I might have to use those:laughing: Also, I didn't realize it till just now, but Grieg is kind of cute in a "dear little old man" way.

·
Registered
41 Posts
I'm not yet sure what I am, so this might not be a fellow INTJ but an INTP posting.

It's tough for me to pick an era. My favourite composers are Wagner, Mozart, Mahler, Bach, Händel & Beethoven. I also enjoy Strauss (the Last Songs in particular), Chopin and some Haydn. I don't like most modern classical music. I go through phases; I once decided to listen to all of Bach's cantatas (only got about halfway, there are over 200!), so I imagine Baroque would have been my favourite era then.

Recently, I listened to most of Richard Wagner's Operas and I'm currently going through a bit of a Mahler & Strauss mini-phase, so I'm going to say the Romantic era's the one I enjoy most at the moment.

·
Registered
946 Posts
Always been a fan of Carl Orff and Wagner.

However, I'm more drawn to people like Ed Alleyne Johnson. Amazing what he can do:

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
Seems there are a couple of votes for Romantic. :happy: And I agree that Grieg is a great one. My band is totally going to arrange March of the Trolls in a kind of E.L.P. style.

·
Registered
83 Posts
Vivaldi, Rodrigo and Mozart are my favourites but I like many more composers. There are so many to choose from!

1 - 16 of 16 Posts