Personality Cafe banner

What is your favorite science fiction film?

• 2001: A Space Odyssey

Votes: 11 6.2%
  • Alien

Votes: 7 3.9%

Votes: 3 1.7%
  • Back to the Future

Votes: 11 6.2%
  • Blade Runner

Votes: 22 12.4%
  • Close Encounters of the Third Kind

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Contact

Votes: 9 5.1%
  • E.T.: The Extra-Terrestrial

Votes: 2 1.1%
  • Forbidden Planet

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Inception

Votes: 13 7.3%
  • The Matrix

Votes: 14 7.9%
  • Solaris (1972)

Votes: 2 1.1%
  • Star Trek

Votes: 9 5.1%
  • Star Wars

Votes: 30 16.9%
  • The Terminator

Votes: 8 4.5%
  • [other]

Votes: 37 20.8%
1 - 20 of 105 Posts

·
Banned
1,987 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello, PC'ers! I thought this would be a great poll - in one of the most popular movie genres ever, science fiction, what is your favorite movie? Or, in the cases of some, like "Star Wars" and "Star Trek," what is your favorite movie franchise?

And...let the race begin!

Oh, and if you want to chat about it, go right ahead -- this is a forum after all! Explaining why a movie is your favorite may get others interested in watching it too!

·
Banned
1,956 Posts
"The Day the Earth stood still" - its really old black and white but they did a lot with the story and not much special effects.

4,757 Posts
I'm choosing Star Trek (duh) but Inception is fucking awesome. I guess I have more emotional investment in the Star Trek characters (TOS btw).

Reactions: xezene

·
Banned
14,865 Posts
They Live.

And the most recent one that I can think of that -really- impressed me, was Pandorum. If you liked Sunshine (I loved it) and Event Horizon, then its another that you'll like. I really like scifi-horror that takes place on space stations.

·
Registered
2,064 Posts
They Live.

And the most recent one that I can think of that -really- impressed me, was Pandorum. If you liked Sunshine (I loved it) and Event Horizon, then its another that you'll like. I really like scifi-horror that takes place on space stations.
omfg thank you, I saw these two movies on netflix, one was called Franklyn and I couldn't remember theother one, the other day I was trying to for some random reason and it was pandorum! I might note both films feature hot foreign actresses (Franklyn and Pandorum) representing Germany and France :D

They both had relatively low budgets, I really recommend Franklyn. It's not entirely sci-fi, more psychological and dystopian but it just oozes style and I enjoyed it very much.

·
Registered
1,736 Posts
It was a choice between 2001 and Blade Runner for me. I went with Blade Runner this time because I like the movies equally, and I needed a way to arbitrarily decide, so I went with what I felt like at the moment. :laughing:

Props for putting Solaris up there though. :wink:

·
Registered
828 Posts
Serenity. :laughing:

Reactions: madhatter

·
Registered
3,102 Posts
Star Wars because it was iconic for its time (the one I picked).
Matrix (the first one only) for its symbolism.
Avatar for being totally awesome in 3D.
Fifth Element for its humor and feel good quality.
Starship Troopers because of its theme and dark humor (kinda - the propaganda commercial of the soldiers handing out bullets to children makes me laugh every time haha).
John Carpenters The Thing for scaring me as a child haha.

·
Registered
96 Posts
Why there isn t a Predator on this list?

·
Banned
1,987 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
Why there isn t a Predator on this list?
To be honest, I forgot it. Plus, it's a great movie, but it's generally considered to be an action/horror classic, rather than a sci-fi classic.

·
Registered
853 Posts
For me, it's a tossup between 2001: A Space Odyssey and Akira, which I'm surprised has not been mentioned yet. So many jaw-dropping scenes and intriguing concepts in that movie; it's hard to count them all.

1 - 20 of 105 Posts