Personality Cafe banner

1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
7,058 Posts
Comedy and the right kind of horror (disturbing and/or psychological, not jump scare-fests).

·
Registered
2,177 Posts
Hmmm i like happy endings. My favorite movie is Gladiator.

I love stories about struggles then redemption. I love seeing the good truimphs against evil. I also love seeing unity at the end, and making sacrifices and compromises. I like stories about friendships and relationships, like how magneto and xavier are best of friends despite their differences. I love equality like mr and mrs smith. I love Espionage or spy movies as it stimulates my curiousity.

That's probably why i like Gladiator, matrix, hitch, stitch, big hero 6, Zootopia, edge of tomorrow, equilibrium, mr and mrs smith, other espionage movies (too many to mention), and so much more

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
9,827 Posts
I tend to like romance and drama.

·
Registered
141 Posts
Films such as: Gladiator, Troy, Matrix series... Braveheart, war films generally.. Crimson Tide, Black Hawk Down, We were soldiers.. I also like the saw movies
My favourite kind though has to be insight into the psyche or an element of it.. For example the film Revolver (starring Jason Statham and Ray Liotta [Tommy vercetti from GTA:Vice city)- It basically explores the ego and how far it goes to protect itself from external threats that it perceived.. In a sentence, its the ego tricking itself, and then protecting itself from its own threat

·
Registered
80 Posts
I prefer comedies usually, and melancholic movies when I'm feeling down.
Oddly enough, Gladiator is also one of my favourite movies (especially the scene where he reveals his identity). Well it's not that odd actually, it IS an excellent movie.

·
Premium Member
15,288 Posts
  1. Whimsical (example -- Willy Wonka, Mr. Magorium)
  2. Comedy (example -- The Heat, Bad Santa)
  3. Satire (example -- The Big Lebowski, Sideways, Office Space)
  4. Slice Of Life (example -- any small town, waitresses, women issues)
  5. Christmas (example -- all holiday, 24/7 on TCM/Hallmark/Netflix)
  6. Documentary (example --Brother's Keeper, Titicott Follies)
  7. Women Films (example -- main subject -- An Angel At My Table, Bridesmaids, Thelma and Louise)
  8. Quaint UK Films (example Scottish, Ireland small town, Local Hero)

·
Registered
INFP 4w5 sp
5,261 Posts
I love Fantasy and Sci-fi-adventure (as opposed to sci-fi drama) as long as it's not too scary. I also love animated fantasy/sci-fi. And I love old musicals.

I like happy endings. I don't like too much interpersonal drama. I don't like creepy scary things. I don't like too much gore. I do like action and explosions and crazy stuff happening and close calls. I like epic music and epic scenery and detailed costumes.

·
Registered
3,734 Posts
Fantasy and science fiction.
Also everything by Studio Ghibli.

Examples: Interstellar, Arrival, Harry Potter, Fantastic Beasts, LOTR, Batman, Captain America, X-men, Avengers, Pirates of the Caribbean, The Prestige, Jurassic Park, Edward Scissorhands, Beetlejuice, 28 Days Later, Crimson Peak, Indiana Jones, The Goonies, Amélie, Ghostbusters, Teenage Mutant Ninja Turtles ......

I avoid: Horror, pointless drama, bad comedy involving alcohol, farts, puking and the likes.

Other loves: Certain specific romances, such as The Family Stone, every fucking Nicholas Sparks-based movie (I consume them like candy), Sleepless in Seattle, You've got mail & Love Actually.

·
Registered
9,827 Posts
Fantasy and science fiction.
Also everything by Studio Ghibli.

Examples: Interstellar, Arrival, Harry Potter, Fantastic Beasts, LOTR, Batman, Captain America, X-men, Avengers, Pirates of the Caribbean, The Prestige, Jurassic Park, Edward Scissorhands, Beetlejuice, 28 Days Later, Crimson Peak, Indiana Jones, The Goonies, Amélie, Ghostbusters, Teenage Mutant Ninja Turtles ......

I avoid: Horror, pointless drama, bad comedy involving alcohol, farts, puking and the likes.

Other loves: Certain specific romances, such as The Family Stone, every fucking Nicholas Sparks-based movie (I consume them like candy), Sleepless in Seattle, You've got mail & Love Actually.
You should watch Kimssi pyoryugi :)

Reactions: entheos

·
Registered
532 Posts
As you can probably guess from my avatar, I have a liking of scary movies. By that I mean movies that actually frighten, and that's a rare thing to find. Only a handful of movies fall into this category, like The Shining, Black Christmas, Suspiria, Alien, Nosferatu, and most of all Pet Sematary.
It's so rare that I feel scared of anything, so it's quite addictive when it does happen.
I honestly can't stand movies that are just about shock value (gore, cruelty, sadism), or about cheap jump scares. It's so boring.

I think it's anything to do with that which is unknown, or mysterious. Kind of like David Lynch movies, although they themselves are so bizarre that I lose interest after a while.

·
MOTM January 2013
10,623 Posts
Dark comedy, offbeat, very old films including silent movies, chillers, experimental, provocative and cutting edge films. A good plot is a must. If the film is boring in the first half hour, I tend to switch off.

·
Registered
2,739 Posts
Fantasy, sci-fi or psychological thriller. They're all pretty much on the same level as far as my taste goes. I especially like when some comedy is thrown in (e.g. comedy-fantasy).

·
Banned
1,843 Posts
Good science fiction, good horror and excellent comedy. Comedy's one of those genres where it has to be a riot, otherwise you might as well not bother.

·
Registered
5 Posts
I really like films that are hilariously bad (Poultrygeist, Freddy got Fingered) and also werewolf movies (An American Werewolf in London, Silver Bullet, etc.)

·
Registered
1,246 Posts
Something High quality, not sell out-ish, was clearly going for SOMETHING genuine and meaningful to the directors, strove not for perfection nor popularity but made it as good as they could, didn't have a checklist of trailer shots, actually thought the story through, want you to care about the characters/ people, make you care about something in roughly an hour...

Whats that you say?

No one cares to make movies with those goals in Hollywood anymore?

sigh. Guess its nothing but Transformers 63 here on out, then.

Whats that? You don't need a cynical ISTJ around? Yup, that is also very much true. And yet I stand, stand as an example of what exists when it shouldn't, like poor goals maintained in blockbusters-

"GET OUT OF HERE!"

Ok, ok, I'm gone.

·
Registered
9,827 Posts
According to imdb statistics, these are the movies i generally rate the highest.

Ranking / Previous ranking (6 months ago) / Average rating / Genre / Number of movies with that genre label i've seen

01 (01) 6,68 Biography 50
02 (02) 6,48 History 33
03 (03) 6,45 Romance 109
04 (04) 6,38 Drama 396
05 (05) 6,32 Crime 127
06 (06) 6,25 Musical 20
07 (08) 6,17 Music 12
08 (10) 6,13 War 30
09 (14) 6,03 Horror 71
10 (09) 5,99 Mystery 100
11 (11) 5,97 Thriller 241
12 (07) 5,95 Documentary 22
13 (12) 5,91 Animation 56
14 (13) 5,87 Family 85
15 (17) 5,79 Adventure 156
16 (15) 5,64 Fantasy 94
17 (16) 5,61 Sci-Fi 104
18 (18) 5,54 Comedy 125
19 (20) 5,45 Sport 20
20 (19) 5,37 Action 154

Ranking / Previous Ranking / Genre / Number of movies with that genre label i've seen / Change in comparison to 6 months ago

01 (01) Drama 396 (+60)
02 (02) Thriller 241 (+38)
03 (03) Adventure 156 (+21)
04 (04) Action 154 (+24)
05 (05) Crime 127 (+17)
06 (06) Comedy 125 (+17)
07 (07) Romance 109 (+16)
08 (09) Sci-Fi 104 (+22)
09 (08) Mystery 100 (+17)
10 (11) Fantasy 94 (+15)
11 (10) Family 85 (+4)
12 (12) Horror 71 (+4)
13 (13) Animation 56 (+1)
14 (14) Biography 50 (+9)
15 (15) History 33 (+7)
16 (16) War 30 (+4)
17 (18) Documentary 22 (+5)
18 (17) Musical 20 (=)
19 (19) Sport 20 (+3)
20 (20) Music 12 (-2)

I tend to rate biography, history, romance, drama and crime the highest. I also give higher ratings to horror, war, mystery and thriller movies. I tend to dislike action, comedy, sci-fi and fantasy. Music and musical movies are a bit misleading, since musical movies were mostly Disney movies i've seen, and I like Disney lol.

I generally see a lot of drama movies, followed by thriller, adventure, action, crime and comedy movies. I also see a lot of romance, sci-fi, mystery and fantasy movies.

If i had to answer what my favourite movie genres are, i would most likely say: drama, romance, horror and maybe thriller and crime, but then again, it also depends on the movie itself of course. I like a lot of mystery movies, but I dislike the mystery movies that Christopher Nolan directed, so it often depends.

1 - 19 of 19 Posts