Personality Cafe banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
1,706 Posts
The ones in which few people are talking about stuff (Mindwalk, The seventh seal, The Sunset Limited, My Dinner With Andre, Waking Life, etc.). I have no clue how this genre is called.

·
Banned
339 Posts
Horror, thriller and comedy.

·
Registered
2,364 Posts
Wes Anderson films(not all), Manchester by the sea, Shawshank redemption ... slice of life stuff mostly, I guess

·
Registered
1,087 Posts
Anything that provides a good story, I guess.

Stories with an actual character development and plot, meaning no (+) points for extreme visuals such as big guns and hot babes. The exception to this is the usage of cinematography (perspective emphasis) and atmosphere (music), as it adds to the telling of the story. The science and "realness" does not matter (example of this is Edge of Tomorrow).

Only the story matters.

Reactions: GusWriter

·
Registered
3,001 Posts
Anything that provides a good story, I guess.

Stories with an actual character development and plot, meaning no (+) points for extreme visuals such as big guns and hot babes. The exception to this is the usage of cinematography (perspective emphasis) and atmosphere (music), as it adds to the telling of the story. The science and "realness" does not matter (example of this is Edge of Tomorrow).

Only the story matters.
Pretty close to what I was going to say. I like a lot of movies that came out decades before my time for this reason. They've got good stories and characters. Nowadays too many movie makers are all about trying to make the biggest explosion or use so much CGI that it goes over the top and ruins whatever story they had. I mean, I like blowing shit up as much as the next person, but I watch a movie mainly to get into a story.

·
Registered
54 Posts
Thrillers, specifically psychological thrillers, and also romance. I'm a sucker for that, especially if they're beautifully filmed and smart - not just a cheesy rom-com.

·
Registered
INTP
1,752 Posts
Pretty close to what I was going to say. I like a lot of movies that came out decades before my time for this reason. They've got good stories and characters. Nowadays too many movie makers are all about trying to make the biggest explosion or use so much CGI that it goes over the top and ruins whatever story they had. I mean, I like blowing shit up as much as the next person, but I watch a movie mainly to get into a story.
I agree with this 100% and it's why I rarely watch movies anymore, but then I watch some older stuff and am like "Wow, this is actually kind of good!" I guess because of this, I don't really have a favorite genre. There's good stuff and shitty stuff in every genre so I don't think about genre much at all. If it's well done then it's well done and I'm pretty sure all of my favorites hail from different genres.

·
Registered
6,367 Posts
Movies with good world-building, which happens mostly in Fantasy and Science Fiction. Comedies as well, but only those with my particular kind of humour (for example, The Three Flavours Cornetto trilogy).

1 - 14 of 14 Posts